• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Just messing with you.  The other poster was "a tad" over-reactive  -  like maybe you hit a nerve.  Too close to home.  Or a Naugler supporter?

You were fine.  Really.

I know, right? The thought actually was disturbing to me, so I posted it so as not to dwell on it. I'm waiting to be called out on the fact that I'm going by memory. But, that is just something a person doesn't forget.

• Like 2

I have been slowly working on things in little dd's room (i.e. the wretched refuse outside her room), and I have hung some stuff, gone through a dresser and put it back in, and put a bookshelf in.  I cannot even when I think of the entire project so I just walk by and do a little at a time.  

My house is looking like yours right now, except it is everything from my room piled up.  Not painting yet but plan to this weekend.  Not a beautiful rich purple either.  My girls are getting grey walls (their choice) because dd15 wants all her accessories teal and dd7 wants all her accessories orange so we have to find a wall color that would go with both.  They chose one called elephant.  Hope it looks good and not like a prison once it is all up.

• Like 5

My house is looking like yours right now, except it is everything from my room piled up.  Not painting yet but plan to this weekend.  Not a beautiful rich purple either.  My girls are getting grey walls (their choice) because dd15 wants all her accessories teal and dd7 wants all her accessories orange so we have to find a wall color that would go with both.  They chose one called elephant.  Hope it looks good and not like a prison once it is all up.

:lol:

I'll be painting the house this fall, I hope.  Touch-ups, really.  Not the whole thing.

Pale-boring-neutral-make-it-appear-bigger-and-brighter-than-it-really-is-and-appeal-to-the-masses-so-you-can-sell-it-yellow.  (Lowe's has it.) 

Because it's all already that color, and has been for 11 years since the previous owner painted it. And because I want to sell it.

• Like 2

Prison has orange accessories.  They are called jumpsuits.  ;)

• Like 6

I'll be painting the house this fall, I hope. Touch-ups, really. Not the whole thing.

Pale-boring-neutral-make-it-appear-bigger-and-brighter-than-it-really-is-and-appeal-to-the-masses-so-you-can-sell-it-yellow. (Lowe's has it.)

Because it's all already that color, and has been for 11 years since the previous owner painted it. And because I want to sell it.

Sell your house and move to Texas. Then you can have a big house on a lot of land for a little money. :D
  • Like 2

Sell your house and move to Texas. Then you can have a big house on a lot of land for a little money. :D

You have no idea how tempting that is!   :laugh:

In our dream world, where we can move anywhere we want, Texas has indeed come up in the discussion.  And Virginia (bcuz I want to live on the farm next door to my BFF SWB).  Or possibly North Carolina, because of family?  Wisconsin, because obviously Packers? Minnesota, because I've never met a Minnesotan I didn't adore?   Or maybe Venice, because Venice?

Our plans are rather fuzzy, as you can see.  I actually love exactly where we live right now:  the weather, the ocean, the farms, the museums, the history, the people (meaning IRL friends; not ALL the people, because if you drive for more than a mile you will run across plenty that are tough to love).....

But the cost of living? Oy.  

• Like 5

Any other good threads on the boards lately?  I don't feel like wasting time on duds.  So if you all would be kind enough to recommend one or two, I'll check them out. :thumbup1:

I always find any threads that involve swim suits tend to get weird - but they're  becoming a little predictable to me now. What is it about swimming costumes that gets Americans so crazed? It seems to go WAAAAAAAY back, too. I was watching a movie about the famous Australian swimming star Annette Kellerman, and the scandal she caused on US beaches in her swimsuit (made to swim in). She had to sew on legs and foot coverings. This was back in the early 1900s, and it seems that many people are stuck back there. ;)  It's hard for non-Americans to understand.

You have no idea how tempting that is!   :laugh:

In our dream world, where we can move anywhere we want, Texas has indeed come up in the discussion.  And Virginia (bcuz I want to live on the farm next door to my BFF SWB).  Or possibly North Carolina, because of family?  Wisconsin, because obviously Packers? Minnesota, because I've never met a Minnesotan I didn't adore?   Or maybe Venice, because Venice?

Our plans are rather fuzzy, as you can see.  I actually love exactly where we live right now:  the weather, the ocean, the farms, the museums, the history, the people (meaning IRL friends; not ALL the people, because if you drive for more than a mile you will run across plenty that are tough to love).....

But the cost of living? Oy.  

Where are you, Quackers?

I tried to sing your verse to the tune of the Animaniacs theme song. Guess that was the wrong tune!

No, the tune is from The Song That Never Ends.  Sherry Lewis (sp?) and her puppets did it as The Song That Doesn't End -- both versions are acceptable.  Here's a link so you get the tune:

Now, for your further music edification, here's a Wikipedia page that discusses this song plus some other songs of similar purpose:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Song_That_Never_Ends

And with that we have covered music appreciation for today.  :Angel_anim:

• Like 1

Yes. Good examples of cray cray can be hard to find.

ETA:

Booya!!

This is the thread that never ends

It just goes on and on my friends.

People started posting not knowing what it was

And we'll continue posting forever just because

This is the thread that never ends

You'd best come join it with your friends

Cuz it will replace Facebook as the latest web-based craze

And everyone will post here instead for the rest of their days

This is the thread that never ends...

2nd verse courtesy of AMJ

Just for the record:  I did the first verse, too.

Though to be fair the citation should credit Norman Martin, who wrote the original in 1988.  My words are mere variations of his lyrics and they use the same tune.  Thank you, Martin, for a song that has gone viral for generations!

I have been slowly working on things in little dd's room (i.e. the wretched refuse outside her room), and I have hung some stuff, gone through a dresser and put it back in, and put a bookshelf in.  I cannot even when I think of the entire project so I just walk by and do a little at a time.  

This is exactly the way to handle it, so it doesn't become completely overwhelming.

A poorer way to handle things is to empty out the vast bulk of your ground floor quickly (all of the communal living spaces) to have the flooring replaced, discover the walls really need painting, too, paint the walls, and then only put back what you truly want in those spaces.  You do end up with nicely livable communal spaces, but the rest of the house has all the rest of the clutter crammed into every nook and cranny and it takes many months (at least) afterward to not only locate the stuff you need, but get rid of the stuff you don't need.

Clutter amassed in a location not only breeds more clutter, it physically and psychologically overwhelms one to the point where one has a very hard time dealing with it.

Limiting it to one room at a time is much better.

• Like 1

I know, right? The thought actually was disturbing to me, so I posted it so as not to dwell on it. I'm waiting to be called out on the fact that I'm going by memory. But, that is just something a person doesn't forget.

I think someone did call you on it, but someone else posted that they had seen the same, so you have some verification from an independent party.  I tried to find the comment on that blog myself but I'm not finding any comments at all (she might have taken down all comments). 

No.

My Marie Kondo book came!! Booya!!

Enjoy.  Please remember there are some cultural differences between her culture and ours, but I'm sure you will find some good take-aways in that book.  I found it refreshed my perspective and renewed my inclination to declutter.

• Like 1

I'm hot.  Not ooh-la-la hot but overheated by this darn overactive sun, hot.  

Same here.  When I complain that I'm hot DH says I'm teasing.  Unfortunately when I'm hot enough to complain I have precious little patience for such remarks.  This is going to be a rough summer for me -- as hot as usual, and even more humid.  The stealth mosquitoes have new tricks, too.

I'm doomed to have my patience and tolerance sorely tried until at least mid-October.

I'll be painting the house this fall, I hope.  Touch-ups, really.  Not the whole thing.

Pale-boring-neutral-make-it-appear-bigger-and-brighter-than-it-really-is-and-appeal-to-the-masses-so-you-can-sell-it-yellow.  (Lowe's has it.) 

Something to consider, too, is the finish of the paint -- it really will change how the color looks.

Our walls are basically off-white.  All rooms that weren't recently repainted have the original, very flat paint that the builders sprayed on the walls 11 years ago.  I have NEVER liked this paint and always thought the color was horrid (rather sickly and dingy, even in the corners where things were cleaner).

When we decided to repaint certain rooms I told DH I wanted a different shade of off-white, perhaps even as much color as a light brown.  (DH was adamant on keeping white-ish walls because it goes with everything, and I'm okay with that.)  I also knew that I would need to pick a color that would go with the new tile (that replaced carpet) AND the old tile (still in the kitchen, entries, half bath, and hallway).  I brought home more than 100 paint chips to tape to the walls, moved paint chips around for a couple of days, bought 5 sample colors of paint (figuring I'll do the same again for baseboard colors after I selected the wall color), and painted swathes on several different walls that receive different light.

It turns out the color I liked best was the original wall color, but in a nice semi-gloss or satin finish (can't remember which) instead of flat.  It is also CLEAN paint, not dirtied up from 11 years of habitation, and this paint is washable.  I insist on washable paint everywhere.

The bonus was one of the samples of paint proved to be the ideal baseboard color, so I didn't have to hunt further for that.

If it weren't for DH's insistence on white I might go for a nice pale yellow, at least for the kitchen.  I have always been comfortably at home in every yellow home I've visited.

• Like 2

No, the tune is from The Song That Never Ends.  Sherry Lewis (sp?) and her puppets did it as The Song That Doesn't End -- both versions are acceptable.  Here's a link so you get the tune:

Now, for your further music edification, here's a Wikipedia page that discusses this song plus some other songs of similar purpose:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Song_That_Never_Ends

And with that we have covered music appreciation for today.  :Angel_anim:

Just to say:  I have no idea why the first image is of a cat with a Rubik's Cube.  There was no such image when I first saw the video.

But I will have to show that picture to DD11. 

There was a moon landing thread?

It was a S/O thread asking if you believed the moon landing was real, or if you believed the conspiracy theory that it was faked.  LOL  Now it is gone, and the original thread about the police officer speaking out against accusing parents of SBS when it really might be vaccine reactions (I think I got that right?) has been locked.

I come here to the ITT for my sanity.

• Like 3

This is exactly the way to handle it, so it doesn't become completely overwhelming.

A poorer way to handle things is to empty out the vast bulk of your ground floor quickly (all of the communal living spaces) to have the flooring replaced, discover the walls really need painting, too, paint the walls, and then only put back what you truly want in those spaces.  You do end up with nicely livable communal spaces, but the rest of the house has all the rest of the clutter crammed into every nook and cranny and it takes many months (at least) afterward to not only locate the stuff you need, but get rid of the stuff you don't need.

Clutter amassed in a location not only breeds more clutter, it physically and psychologically overwhelms one to the point where one has a very hard time dealing with it.

Limiting it to one room at a time is much better.

And THAT is why I'm throwing everything out!

Maybe the Nauglers are on to something.  

(jk!)

• Like 2

It was a S/O thread asking if you believed the moon landing was real, or if you believed the conspiracy theory that it was faked.  LOL  Now it is gone, and the original thread about the police officer speaking out against accusing parents of SBS when it really might be vaccine reactions (I think I got that right?) has been locked.

I come here to the ITT for my sanity.

I'm glad.  I may not believe the same things as jasper but there was no need to make a thread just to make fun of her.  Heck I have had posts deleted, warning points and bannings for doing less, I make a generalized comment and get in sh*t from the mods.  I did report the landing thread.  So what if she sounded nuts in the vax thread when she said it, it is not right to make a thread just to make fun of her.  

• Like 4

I'm glad. I may not believe the same things as jasper but there was no need to make a thread just to make fun of her. Heck I have had posts deleted, warning points and bannings for doing less, I make a generalized comment and get in sh*t from the mods. I did report the landing thread. So what if she sounded nuts in the vax thread when she said it, it is not right to make a thread just to make fun of her.

I think Jasperstone probably has some pretty thick skin. We've chatted before about various issues and she seems cool. I have some different views, most of which are rooted in the Bible and I've taken a lot of flak here too. People like us either learn to take it or learn to shut our mouths.

• Like 1

My living room.

:lol:

Ya know, living with a twelve year old comedienne, I should have seen this coming. :svengo:

Actually, north of Boston.  :coolgleamA:

Okay. Never mind.  On the relocation question, I don't think that my area would be a replacement. :001_smile:

• Like 2

I think someone did call you on it, but someone else posted that they had seen the same, so you have some verification from an independent party. I tried to find the comment on that blog myself but I'm not finding any comments at all (she might have taken down all comments).

Yes, someone started to call me on it with that question. I expected a response really calling me to the floor with my answer. Then the other person backed me up. I wasted so much time yesterday looking for it too, but I definitely think she's changed some things.

Everyone is throwing up and we all have fevers. Mary cried for about 20 minutes until I just stopped and cuddled her. John's following me around and laying at my feet wherever I am and Mary keeps requesting that I move her from location to location. Fortunately my kids never stay sick long.

Everyone is throwing up and we all have fevers. Mary cried for about 20 minutes until I just stopped and cuddled her. John's following me around and laying at my feet wherever I am and Mary keeps requesting that I move her from location to location. Fortunately my kids never stay sick long.

:grouphug:

I am so glad that we've outgrown the early "germ monster" years.

More :grouphug: .

• Like 3

I know that most have you have moved on to noon, but good morning. I think I managed to cobble together 7 hours of sleep.

I have a fitness band that I've learned a lot from and I think it might benefit you. It tracks my activity,sleep and eating habits. It's informed me of how certain foods and behaviors affect my ability to sleep and move. I used to sleep 4 hours a night and take two naps. Now I sleep 7 hours a night and nap on occasion. I've also uped my step count by an average of 2000 steps without trying just because what I've learned about myself from the data has made me healthier. I know you have several health conditions, I'm not pretending you don't, but I just can't believe how it's changed my life.

• Like 2

We're all crazy. But we're not vile. Any meanness on this thread has always been in fun. It probably helps that we all seem to have the same brand of humor.

I've offended so many people here. It's ridiculous. I feel so bad. There was a thread of over wight people and someone said "it's not that all thin people are the enemy" and I said "they're not?". Huge mistake. I also have a tendency to say Catholic vs Christian instead of Catholic vs protestant. Not good. I'm sure I'm on a few ignore lists for that.

• Like 2

Sending you all some virtual chicken soup.

chicken_soup.gif

• Like 6

I've offended so many people here. It's ridiculous. I feel so bad. There was a thread of over wight people and someone said "it's not that all thin people are the enemy" and I said "they're not?". Huge mistake. I also have a tendency to say Catholic vs Christian instead of Catholic vs protestant. Not good. I'm sure I'm on a few ignore lists for that.

wight people :lol:  :lol:

• Like 4