Menu

Ever wish you could unfollow a bunny trail?

jenn-

I'm responsible for making the Irish Soda Bread for St. Patty's Day.  As I'm the dairy free vegetarian (I eat eggs so therefore not vegan), it's my job as I have non dairy milks on hand.  So this morning on the hunt for a vegan Irish soda bread recipe, I found a few.  Yeah! Should have stopped there.  Then I decided to compare a few of the recipes to some more traditional recipes and noted that all of the non vegan ones called for baking powder and all the vegan ones left it out.  Should have stopped.  Of course I had to go find out if there was something wrong with using baking powder.  Yikes!  Wish I could unlearn what cream of tartar (a component of baking powder) is.  At first it didn't sound bad.  It's a byproduct of wine making. Definitely should have stopped then. So then I had to look up wine making processes... eew!  Glad I don't drink the stuff.

Anyways, have you ever followed a bunny trail around the net and wished you could unlearn what you found?

• Like 3

Color me puzzled. Just about every vegan baking recipe I've used or seen uses baking powder including the cegan irish soda bread I'm making for dinner on the 17th. Obviously I'm going to have to bunny trail on off myself.

All the ones I have found use the baking soda but not the baking powder. 

http://happyherbivore.com/recipe/irish-soda-bread/

http://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/hell-yeah-its-veganhell-yeah-its-vegan-hell-3932515?blog=3932515&post=2444519357&viewer=true

I've made wine.

There was nothing gross about it...

I would assume that you have processed a small amount of wine for personal use and controlled what went in it, correct?  Look up the fining processes that the larger places use.

And the gross part is....gelatin?

If so, it still doesn't bug me (disclaimer:  I am an omnivore).

I am glad more of the animal is being used (to make gelatin) and not wasted.

Do you eat honey?  It's basically bee barf.

I'm not nearly as strict as my younger sister.  I will roast a marshmallow over the campfire every now and then.  Although honey is bee barf, the process doesn't harm the bees for the most part.  The fact that they can use milk casein and skim powdered milk in it as well concerns me because of the dairy allergy.  Are odds in my favor that I will be getting a clean product instead of one using animal products? Probably.  I can't stand the taste of wine and never have, so I'm not missing out on anything there.  I'm sure I'll grab the baking powder in a couple of weeks and use it without even thinking about it, but for today, not going in the recipe.

And the gross part is....gelatin?

If so, it still doesn't bug me (disclaimer: I am an omnivore).

I am glad more of the animal is being used (to make gelatin) and not wasted.

Do you eat honey? It's basically bee barf.

I've been an (egg, dairy and seafood eating) vegetarian for 25 years and the older I get the less any of this stuff bothers me. I'm much more in agreement that using all parts is far better than using only some and discarding the rest.

I'm also getting more and more dismayed by the lengthy list of decidedly odd ingredients in vegan foods (processed, not simply swapping whole proteins or ingredients). There really are no superior choices, just more and less informed, combined with personal preferences.

• Like 4

To the OPs original question, yes I have done a bunny trail that I wish I could unlearn but it was family history and I found out something about an ancestor I admired that was disturbing to me. Since it doesnt affect anything I just would rather have never known it but once its there it is something that doesn't get a reset button. I understand what you are saying completely OP.

• Like 2

To the OPs original question, yes I have done a bunny trail that I wish I could unlearn but it was family history and I found out something about an ancestor I admired that was disturbing to me. Since it doesnt affect anything I just would rather have never known it but once its there it is something that doesn't get a reset button. I understand what you are saying completely OP.

Thank you for the reply.  I really didn't mean for the thread to be a vegetarian vs omni thread.  I was really going for a "have you learned something you wish you could unlearn?" thread.

• Like 2

In the short term, yes, I've wished I didn't know what I'd learned. In the longer term, though, I was always glad I had that info. I was totally icked out when I happened to find out what castoreum is and what it's used for (a natural raspberry flavoring) the day after I'd made (and eaten) a ton of cookies using a "natural" raspberry jelly. But in the end, I was glad to know so that I can now avoid natural raspberry flavoring forever!

Thank you for the reply. I really didn't mean for the thread to be a vegetarian vs omni thread. I was really going for a "have you learned something you wish you could unlearn?" thread.

I have definitely learned things I wish I oculd unlearn!

One of my friends always tells her kids to be careful about what they research online, because once they see something disturbing, they can't unsee it. I thought she summed it up pretty well. :)

• Like 3

Yikes!  Wish I could unlearn what cream of tartar (a component of baking powder) is.  At first it didn't sound bad.  It's a byproduct of wine making. Definitely should have stopped then.

I can't see why this would bother you. It comes from crystals strained off of chilled and/or fermenting grape juice. Why would you want to 'unlearn' that?

I can't see why this would bother you. It comes from crystals strained off of chilled and/or fermenting grape juice. Why would you want to 'unlearn' that?

It doesn't bother me, either, but if it bothers Jenn, I can understand why she wishes she never found out about it.

• Like 4

I have definitely learned things I wish I oculd unlearn!

One of my friends always tells her kids to be careful about what they research online, because once they see something disturbing, they can't unsee it. I thought she summed it up pretty well. :)

I think this excellent advice. Goes for movies and other image-rich environments, too.

• Like 2

Anything that uses sturgeon bladders, bull's blood, and bone char as a potential filtering process sounds icky.  Now I will say a lot also seem to be made using non animal options as well.

Perhaps you shouldn't learn what organic farmers use to fertilize their crops...  :laugh:

• Like 4

Baking soda needs that acidic component to do its work while baking powder includes the acidic bit. Since both recipes curdle their plant milk, the extra acid in the baking powder isn't necessary. Hence the baking soda. Other recipes might be using both for slightly different functions. I don't think you can generalize baking powder's absence in these recipes as indicative of there being an issue with baking powder. Both websites have other recipes that use baking powder in them. Ditto for the wider vegan baking world, though, and that's what I was referring to.

If it helps Clabber Girls states that their product and the components going in to it are all animal free. :0)

This particular concern, though, is why I'm not super enthused about organic farming. I'll go for veganic any day, though.

It's always a bummer when you learn something you wish you hadn't, though. Many of the comments here seem...rather unhelpful so if by asking I triggered that, my appologies.

• Like 1

Thank you for the reply. I really didn't mean for the thread to be a vegetarian vs omni thread. I was really going for a "have you learned something you wish you could unlearn?" thread.

Yes. I wish I had never learned anything about Andrea Yates.

How "head cheese" is made might also be one, not that i eat head cheese.

• Like 1

I have learned many things on my life journey that I wish I could unlearn. As they say, you can't unring the bell. I do my best to make peace with what I learn and move on.

Then I watch college humour to remind myself not to take everything so seriously.

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6963028/the-social-consequences-of-everything

Rofl! Love the clip! I swear, it does feel that way sometimes!

• Like 1

Baking soda needs that acidic component to do its work while baking powder includes the acidic bit. Since both recipes curdle their plant milk, the extra acid in the baking powder isn't necessary. Hence the baking soda. Other recipes might be using both for slightly different functions. I don't think you can generalize baking powder's absence in these recipes as indicative of there being an issue with baking powder. Both websites have other recipes that use baking powder in them. Ditto for the wider vegan baking world, though, and that's what I was referring to.

If it helps Clabber Girls states that their product and the components going in to it are all animal free. :0)

This particular concern, though, is why I'm not super enthused about organic farming. I'll go for veganic any day, though.

It's always a bummer when you learn something you wish you hadn't, though. Many of the comments here seem...rather unhelpful so if by asking I triggered that, my appologies.

I am happy that Clabber Girls is safe. I bet that is on a list somewhere and is why it is used. Now to see about my brand.

Well, I'll eat anything ( brought up on brain sandwiches and I love escargot) so none of that bothers me, especially after the third glass of wine. Don't think I've ever wanted to unlearn anything though occasionally ignorance is bliss.

I actually like the snails, but I don't think I could ever try brains.