Menu

Curious: vanity mirror or slide-y panel in car visors? What is your preference?

AMJ

Which would you prefer to have in your car visor, a lighted vanity mirror, or a panel you could slide out to extend the length of the visor?  I ask out of pure curiosity.

I, for one, would prefer to have the sliding panel.  I used to have this in a past vehicle, and it is probably the feature I miss most.  I've been looking at new vehicles lately, starting the many months of window shopping DH and I feel compelled to do before a major purchase (planning on replacing my vehicle in a year or two), and I can't find any visors mentioned anywhere that have the sliding panels anymore -- manufacturers all seem to think we all want to gaze at our reflections instead of keeping the sun out of our eyes.

So, am I an outlier, a relic of the past who fails somehow to see the appeal of mirrors in visors?  Or are there more people out there bemoaning the loss of the ability to lengthen the visor when needed to keep the sun from glaring in our eyes?

:bigear:

Adding another question:  if your vehicle has both what what is the make, model, and year of your vehicle, please?  I'd love to see examples where both preferences are accommodated!

I like both.

What, exactly, is your vehicle missing? I used to think my van's visors didn't slide, but then I realized that I used to have a little slide-y-out-y piece at the end, whereas now the entire visor slid on the metal pole that holds it up. It only took me 4 years in my new van complaining nonstop about the lack of an extendable visor to realize that, though..... :blushing:

I'd prefer an extendable visor. I've never had a car with both though we did have a car with 2--one could swing to the side and a thinner one underneath it could be flipped down in its place.

I've seen these double-visor setups, too, and I love them.  I think all cars should have them, since they help keep the sun out of the driver's eyes when it's near the corner of the windshield, or when turning corners.  However, there are times when I need that visor to be a little longer, especially when the visor doesn't extend all the way across my peripheral vision and the sun glares in from the side.  In older cars I also saw extensions on the visor that would block the sun when it was just above the rearview mirror.  I've taped paper up there at times to get that protection.

I like both.

What, exactly, is your vehicle missing? I used to think my van's visors didn't slide, but then I realized that I used to have a little slide-y-out-y piece at the end, whereas now the entire visor slid on the metal pole that holds it up. It only took me 4 years in my new van complaining nonstop about the lack of an extendable visor to realize that, though..... :blushing:

My van has visors with no sliding panels, and the visor doesn't slide along its rail, either.  My old van (same make and model, just older) had sliding panels to extend the visor, and I used those all the time.  DH's current car (same company, different car) has visors that don't extend but do slide on their rail.  In my van when the sun comes from over the rearview mirror, or it comes from far enough back on the side, I get a lot of glare and my ability to see is reduced, even with sunglasses.

If I had my druthers all vehicles would be equipped with the ability for the driver to call up 180 degree visor coverage without taking their eyes off the road or having to flip a panel past their head.  At least now that my kids are bigger and can ride in the front seat I have someone to operate the passenger-side visor when I need it. 

I like both mirrors and sliding panels, but there are after-market mirrors one can add to a visor and my vehicles have all had pretty good interior lights.  If there were an after-market sliding visor extender available I'd buy it, but I haven't found one yet.

I don't think my Corolla has a lighted vanity mirror but I am on the passenger side, hubby drives. The mirror is useful for checking how messy my wind blown hair is before picking up my kids from class. Many friends find their cars' visor's mirror useful for touching up lipstick.