Menu

So, if during a shootout a stray bullet cracks your windshield....

RoughCollie

My friend's car windshield was cracked all the way across by a bullet yesterday when there was a shootout in a hotel parking lot. Luckily she was safely in her hotel room when it happened. She is in Boston metro and it is cold and it's Sunday so the insurance company isn't open.

Does anyone know if her car's heater will cause the entire windshield to crack into a zillion pieces and fall out?

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/02/14/shooting-reported-at-milford-holiday-inn/

Sounds like a science experiment.  Have her try it and find out!  Serious answer - all insurance co's I know have 24/7 coverage for accidents etc.  Have her call them.   There are glass replacement companies that can come to you onsite and fix things.  If the glass is grazed then the window might not shatter.  If the crack goes all the way through the glass, then maybe?   

I had a crack in my windshield once that was not entirely all the way through but close to it. The heater did not shatter it entirely on a day like today but it did cause it to crack even more. I imagine with a hole in the windshield it is more likely to shatter than just cracking more.

Windshields are fully covered here.

The last one we had replaced was last winter.  Oldest DS's vehicle's windshield had a chip in it that suddenly cracked one day.  The glass repair guy said their busiest times are winter and summer.  He said the sudden change in temperature when somebody gets in a cold car and cranks up the heat, or a hot car and cranks up the AC, will cause chips to crack.  I don't know if a crack would be likely to get a lot worse.  Even in the worst case scenario I doubt the windshield would crack into a zillion pieces and fall out, though.

FWIW, we used one of the places that comes to you.  I think it was SafeLite.  It took maybe thirty minutes to replace the windshield.

It depends on the crack. A long time ago I had a long crack all the way across the bottom of my windshield and every time I turned on the heat on a cold morning it would POP and CRACK and get a little bit longer.  But it held out for a long time. I didn't have the money to get it fixed, obviously.

And it will depend on if she has glass coverage.

Many states have a way that people who have losses due to crimes can get reimbursed. It is often called The Crime Victim's Board.  But, she's not exactly the victim of the crime. But, there is a good chance she might be able to get some of her costs reimbursed.

And she might not want to ask her insurance company to pay for the windshield. Even if you have glass coverage, actually using said coverage will make your rates go through the roof.

It depends on the crack. A long time ago I had a long crack all the way across the bottom of my windshield and every time I turned on the heat on a cold morning it would POP and CRACK and get a little bit longer.  But it held out for a long time. I didn't have the money to get it fixed, obviously.

And it will depend on if she has glass coverage.

Many states have a way that people who have losses due to crimes can get reimbursed. It is often called The Crime Victim's Board.  But, she's not exactly the victim of the crime. But, there is a good chance she might be able to get some of her costs reimbursed.

And she might not want to ask her insurance company to pay for the windshield. Even if you have glass coverage, actually using said coverage will make your rates go through the roof.

Not here.  It has no effect at all on your insurance premium.

My friend's car windshield was cracked all the way across by a bullet yesterday when there was a shootout in a hotel parking lot. Luckily she was safely in her hotel room when it happened. She is in Boston metro and it is cold and it's Sunday so the insurance company isn't open.

Does anyone know if her car's heater will cause the entire windshield to crack into a zillion pieces and fall out?

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/02/14/shooting-reported-at-milford-holiday-inn/

It probably won't fall out.  That happened to me once, from a rock, not a bullet!

She should replace it if it is cracked all the way across.

My windscreen replacement is free and doesn't affect premiums. In this case I imagine the insurance company would pay for the replacement and try and get the money back from any reparation fund that existed. And maybe tape the crack before turning on the heater.