Menu

FL or CA- Where do I want to homeschool?

I am dreaming of the day my house finally sells, and I'm thinking about moving either to FL or to CA.  FL (Gulf coast side; Tampa maybe?) is obviously much more affordable, but most of my family is/will be in SoCal.  I've been doing some research online, but the laws are confusing.  Also, I would like somewhere that allows homeschooled kids to participate in some PS activities (band, drama, maybe sports, etc.).  So, which state would be the better choice for homeschooling? 

ETA:  Okay, so it appears that in CA, there is no PS participation.  That's okay as it was really just a "nice to have" thing.  Can y'all tell me what is required to HS in CA, too?

I can't answer for CA, but I live in Tampa and homeschooling in FL is very easy.   There are two options - Option #1 is to submit a letter of intent to homeschool to your local superintendant, then file an annual report with either a portfolio review by a certified teacher or standardized testing.   No scores, attendance, or grades get submitted, just a signoff by your evalutator that your child showed progress commensurate with his/her ability.   Option #2 is to register with an umbrella school, which requires a certain # of days of schooling, but no other reporting.   With Option #1 your student may participate with sports and other activities in PS, and you also have the option to enroll part time in PS classes.    With Option #2, your student is technically a private school student, so therefore is not allowed to participate in PS activities.

Feel free to PM me if you want any more info about Tampa.   We have a TON of things to do, lots of churches, homeschool groups and co-ops, professional sports, cultural activities, plus where I live we are an hour from Disney and 30 minutes to the beach.

I can't answer for CA, but I live in Tampa and homeschooling in FL is very easy.   There are two options - Option #1 is to submit a letter of intent to homeschool to your local superintendant, then file an annual report with either a portfolio review by a certified teacher or standardized testing.   No scores, attendance, or grades get submitted, just a signoff by your evalutator that your child showed progress commensurate with his/her ability.   Option #2 is to register with an umbrella school, which requires a certain # of days of schooling, but no other reporting.   With Option #1 your student may participate with sports and other activities in PS, and you also have the option to enroll part time in PS classes.    With Option #2, your student is technically a private school student, so therefore is not allowed to participate in PS activities.

Feel free to PM me if you want any more info about Tampa.   We have a TON of things to do, lots of churches, homeschool groups and co-ops, professional sports, cultural activities, plus where I live we are an hour from Disney and 30 minutes to the beach.

Thank you so much for all this information.  I do have one question (for now; LOL).  With option #1 and the standardized testing, can the tests be something like the ITBS administered at home?  And do the results have to be submitted to anyone?  (Okay, that was two questions :D)

I am dreaming of the day my house finally sells, and I'm thinking about moving either to FL or to CA.  FL (Gulf coast side; Tampa maybe?) is obviously much more affordable, but most of my family is/will be in SoCal.  I've been doing some research online, but the laws are confusing.  Also, I would like somewhere that allows homeschooled kids to participate in some PS activities (band, drama, maybe sports, etc.).  So, which state would be the better choice for homeschooling? 

That would be FL.  In CA, homeschoolers are private schoolers.  Plus side- no state interference, down side- no public school benefits. I think both states are extremely easy to HS in, but as for perks, Florida definitely wins. 

I've homeschooled in both states.  Florida wins as far as state perks, California wins as far as culture and unique opportunities.  

Thank you so much for all this information.  I do have one question (for now; LOL).  With option #1 and the standardized testing, can the tests be something like the ITBS administered at home?  And do the results have to be submitted to anyone?  (Okay, that was two questions :D)

Yes to the ITBS, No to home proctoring.  The test has to be proctored by (correct me if I'm wrong, Floridians, it's been awhile) a certified teacher, I think?   I can't remember the exact proctor requirements.  The test gets submitted to your local district office, and they do absolutely nothing with it.  There are a bajillion homeschoolers. I doubt they even look at the tests.

FL wins hands down if you even remotely think your students might be National Merit Scholarship contenders.  Had we not moved from FL my middle son would have qualified.  Since we did move to a higher score state, he just missed - unfortunately - due to a watch/clock technicality (sigh).  I felt badly for him that we moved.  He'd have been ok in his native state!

CA is a state that needs one of the highest scores to qualify.

Yes to the ITBS, No to home proctoring.  The test has to be proctored by (correct me if I'm wrong, Floridians, it's been awhile) a certified teacher, I think?   I can't remember the exact proctor requirements.  The test gets submitted to your local district office, and they do absolutely nothing with it.  There are a bajillion homeschoolers. I doubt they even look at the tests.

Where/ how do you go about finding a proctor for the tests?

In California, you are your own very small private school. You fill out a single form once a year in October and then you are done. No testing, no portfolio, nothing else. Officially you need to keep attendance records -just the records not any number of days.

You set the curriculum. You set the requirements. You decide everything.

You also get no money from the state.

I'm in FL.  From my understanding, if you go with the standardized testing, your scores are only submitted to the district if you go with the state testing (which you can sign up to take at your zoned school).  If you go with a different standardized test, it has to be administered by a certified teacher, but the only thing that goes to your district is a letter from that certified teacher saying that results show progress commensurate with ability - the scores don't have to go to the district at all.  But many people I know just go with the portfolio review (which again, must be done by a certified teacher if that's the option you pick, and that teacher sends a letter saying the portfolio shows progress commensurate with ability).  

As far as looking for someone to administer the test, if you go the testing route - my area (Tallahassee) has active online groups where you could ask, but also people who advertise in the spring or people who recommend someone that they've used before.  Also, I used to teach at a private school, and when we did our annual standardized testing there (Terra Nova), we invited homeschoolers to come and have their testing done alongside our students, and then one of our faculty members served as the official administrator who would sign off on the homeschool evaluation.

Yes, a standardized test in FL must be administered by a certified teacher, but they are very easy to find. I see them advertised on local homeschool loops on Facebook, as well as through FPEA, the statewide homeschool association. And yes, only a letter from the certified teacher verifying progress gets submitted to the county. No actual scores need to be sent.

We've done portfolio reviews also and they were pretty easy. You just meet with the evaluator and bring samples of the child's work. I also provided the evaluator a list of curriculum, list of books read, as well as extracurriculars. Again, none of that actually gets submitted to the county.

ETA:  Okay, so it appears that in CA, there is no PS participation.  That's okay as it was really just a "nice to have" thing.  Can y'all tell me what is required to HS in CA, too?

Homeschoolers in California don't need public school participation. Homeschoolers have formed all their own stuff. :-)

As others have said (but I have to say it, as well, lol) each year you file a private school affidavit on-line (all private schools have to do that) between October 1 and 15. That is all. No minimum number of school days, no requirements for graduation, no minimum number of school days, no oversight at all, ever.

...with this exception: There are a number of private schools which enroll homeschoolers. On paper these private schools look just like any other private school; they are referred to as PSPs: Private School Satellite Programs. It is neither more nor less legal to file your own affidavit than it is to enroll your dc in a PSP. Some people do it just because they want to be anonymous; some PSPs offer support group-like activities (field trips, park days, graduation ceremonies, whatnot) and some people like that. PSPs have their own fees, *and* their own requirements, which are usually over and above what is actually required by law. I owned/administered a PSP for 16 years...it was the unschool-y PSP. :D So there may be some people who will tell you that you must enroll your dc in a PSP, or people in a PSP might tell you that testing and attendance records are required because their PSPs require them...but really and truly, all you need to do is file your own affidavit between October 1 and 15 each year and you're good to go.

In California if you are part of a public charter school that gives money to individuals to educate your child at home, then you are bound to their rules. The rules may include portfolios and testing and whatever else the charter school requires. But you get money and access to some of the things that other public school kids get.

It is a trade off. For some people the money is a big deal and they are willing to do what the charter wants to get it. For other people it is better to go their own way and do their own thing without the money.

Thanks so much for all the info, y'all.  I was thinking that CA required the whole portfolio/teacher review thing.  That's not the case, though?  Or is that something that's required for those who want to get the state money for homeschooling?  Or is that something else entirely?

It is not that you "get state money for homeschooling." No. It is that you enroll you children in a public school where the classroom happens to be in your home. Legally, it is not homeschooling, as homeschool are considered to be private schools.

If you enroll your children in a home-based public (which is either a charter school or an ISP--Independent Study Program), then yes, because the children are public school students, they are subject to whatever the specific charter or ISP requires as far as accountability, but there will be testing, specific number of hours of "attendance," and more.

Homeschooling in California only requires that the children be enrolled in a private school which has filed an affidavit between October 1 and 15, and you file that affidavit yourself (or enroll them in a PSP, as I said up-thread). No portfolio, no attendance records, no requirements for graduation or days of attendance, no accountability to anyone.

In California if you are part of a public charter school that gives money to individuals to educate your child at home, then you are bound to their rules. The rules may include portfolios and testing and whatever else the charter school requires. But you get money and access to some of the things that other public school kids get.

It is a trade off. For some people the money is a big deal and they are willing to do what the charter wants to get it. For other people it is better to go their own way and do their own thing without the money.

Yes.  I'm just going to add that the charter schools vary widely in what they require and what opportunities they give.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the belief that public colleges in CA had issues with homeschoolers if their classes did not meet certain (documented) state standards?  High stats and course titles (Bio, etc) were not sufficient alone?

The University of CA has requirements for high school graduates who apply. It is not only homeschooled students who have problems; it is other private schools, as well.

California State University does not have those requirements

Most of my contemporaries never worried about the a-g requirements because our children did community college instead of high school and happily transferred to UC and CS schools (c.c transfer students are guaranteed to be admitted to UC and CS schools).

More great information!  And thank you for bringing up the college issue.  Both my kids are planning on taking at least some classes at CC.  But that brings up more questions for me.  1. How many CC classes do they need to have before they can transfer to a state school with no issues?  2. Does that mean that they would lose the freshman scholarship opportunities if they are having to go to university as transfer students?  Or, 3. Could they still go to state schools as freshmen but having CC credits just smooths the way?

And all that said, it sounds like CA might be easier than FL as far as requirements go.

The University of CA has requirements for high school graduates who apply. It is not only homeschooled students who have problems; it is other private schools, as well.

California State University does not have those requirements

Most of my contemporaries never worried about the a-g requirements because our children did community college instead of high school and happily transferred to UC and CS schools (c.c transfer students are guaranteed to be admitted to UC and CS schools).

More great information!  And thank you for bringing up the college issue.  Both my kids are planning on taking at least some classes at CC.  But that brings up more questions for me.  1. How many CC classes do they need to have before they can transfer to a state school with no issues?  2. Does that mean that they would lose the freshman scholarship opportunities if they are having to go to university as transfer students?  Or, 3. Could they still go to state schools as freshmen but having CC credits just smooths the way?

And all that said, it sounds like CA might be easier than FL as far as requirements go.

1. I have forgotten how many credits. :-)

2. They might lose freshman scholarship opportunities, but remember that they might only have two years of college to pay for instead of four, and there are still scholarships, not to mention the fact that California state colleges and universities are very reasonably priced. My older dd worked her way through two years of San Jose State as a hair dresser, a career she had learned at San Jose City College.

3. Most of our kids transferred, but I'm sure your dc could earn c.c. credits without transferring as a junior. Not sure how that works. :-)

In California, the primary requirement to homeschool is to have children. :-)

Can't address CA, but in FL, the courses at the CC would be considered dual enrollment, even if a full AA is attained. So for transfer to a Fl university they would still be considered Freshmen, no matter how many credits they have. CC is free for dual enrolled students, including homeschooled students. (parents do have to pay for books, but not tuition or fees). 

As for easier, honestly, it is SO easy in FL. The "portfolio review" sounds intimidating, but there are tons of former teachers, still certified, who now homeschool. So they do portfolio reviews for the homeschooling community, many in fact do it via skype, email, phone, etc if you want to be truly lazy, lol. And the "portfolio" isn't anything fancy. One year I showed up to meet the evaluator at a Chik Fil A, with a plastic grocery bag full of work samples. A few papers, some math tests, maps he'd done, etc etc. Nothing major, and certainly took no time to do. I just grabbed out some of his work. Lots of evaluators are unschooling friendly, I've never heard of anyone, ever, NOT having the evaluator sign off. It takes all of about 20 minutes once a year, then you mail or fax the form in that they signed. 

Can't address CA, but in FL, the courses at the CC would be considered dual enrollment, even if a full AA is attained. So for transfer to a Fl university they would still be considered Freshmen, no matter how many credits they have. CC is free for dual enrolled students, including homeschooled students. (parents do have to pay for books, but not tuition or fees). 

California is apparently unique. :-)

Each c.c. is allowed to make its own policies. Crazy, I know. The c.c. my dds attended had three kinds of students: full-time adult students, dual-enrolled part-time students, and students under 18 not enrolled in high school. Dual-enrolled students took the same classes but earned high school credit instead of college credit (not very useful for homeschoolers, because their parents don't need anyone to give their children high school credit, but it worked for public- and private-school students); tuition was free for them, and they had to have permission from their schools. When they graduated from high school, they didn't have to retake the college courses they had already taken, but they had to take classes equal to the dual-credit classes they had taken. Students under 18 etc. earned college credit. They paid full tuition (which in California is minimal compared with other states), their parents had to give them permission. But they  were *college students.* They could transfer as soon as they had enough credit (and FTR, although homeschooling parents can issue their own diplomas and transcripts, no high school diploma is required either for c.c. or state colleges/universities).

California is apparently unique. :-)

Each c.c. is allowed to make its own policies. Crazy, I know. The c.c. mydds attended had three kinds of students: full-time adult students, dual-enrolled part-time students, and students under 18 not enrolled in high school. Dual-enrolled students took the same classes but earned high school credit instead of college credit (not very useful for homeschoolers, because their parents don't need anyone to give their children high school credit, but it worked for public- and private-school students); tuition was free for them, and they had to have permission from their schools. When they graduated from high school, they didn't have to retake the college courses they had already taken, but they had to take classes equal to the dual-credit classes they had taken. Students under 18 etc. earned college credit. They paid full tuition (which in California is minimal compared with other states), their parents had to give them permission. But they  were *college students.* They could transfer as soon as they had enough credit (and FTR, although homeschooling parents can issue their own diplomas and transcripts, no high school diploma is required either for c.c. or state colleges/universities).

Wow, that is different. 

Here, any dual enrolled course is counted both towards high school and college, but no matter how many credits you earn, you would still be a freshmen for scholarship status, etc when entering a Florida University. 

Does Fl still have sunshine scholarships for hs students?

Yes! For homeschoolers it is based on test scores (SAT or ACT) and you have to have a minimum of community service hours. I forget the cut offs off the top of my head. If the student doesn't make the cut off they can prove GPA with accredited courses, I forget how that works. We are planning to do it via test score as DS is a good test taker. 

Yes! For homeschoolers it is based on test scores (SAT or ACT) and you have to have a minimum of community service hours. I forget the cut offs off the top of my head. If the student doesn't make the cut off they can prove GPA with accredited courses, I forget how that works. We are planning to do it via test score as DS is a good test taker. 

Between that, and the free dual enrollment, I gotta say that FL would be my choice.  California is just a tough state to hs all the way through in.

Between that, and the free dual enrollment, I gotta say that FL would be my choice.  California is just a tough state to hs all the way through in.

:blink:

If I were looking for a phrase to describe homeschooling in California, "tough state to hs all the way through in" would not be anywhere on the list.

:blink:

If I were looking for a phrase to describe homeschooling in California, "tough state to hs all the way through in" would not be anywhere on the list.

Yeah, I guess you're right.  That was an overstatement.  Ca does not have the perks that FL has for HS high schoolers. It also has some annoying hoops for college bound high schoolers.   

Yeah, I guess you're right.  That was an overstatement.  Ca does not have the perks that FL has for HS high schoolers. It also has some annoying hoops for college bound high schoolers.   

Yes.

Besides, California does have free dual enrollment. We were happy to do it our way instead of free (c.c. is crazy inexpensive in California, not to mention the fact that ACT/SAT scores and high school transcripts are not required). :D

And to be even more fair, campus-based private school students don't get any more perks than home-based private school students. I guess California gives enough away with other educational things. :-)

Completely OT here, but the thread title pulled out a memory. When DH and I were in graduate school, we knew that his field of study and his Ph.D. would command a higher salary than would my masters degree. So his first post-school job would settle the "where are we going to live" riddle. I had strong reasons on my side to tell him that I would consent to any state in the country EXCEPT Florida and California. Had not thought about that in a long time until I noticed this thread!

Enjoy your move to wherever wins out!

Thanks for all the info, you guys.  It occurred to me sometime yesterday, that I really don't have to limit myself to just CA or FL.  Most of my family will be in CA, but the cost of living out there just terrifies me.  We have some good friends in FL, which is why I was looking there, but the area in which they live would not really work for us as we need to be where DD has plenty of musical opportunities (a youth symphony or orchestra, for example).  But really, we could go almost anywhere.  I absolutely LOVE Colorado, so the Denver area would be an option.  We lived in Dallas for a short time but really liked it, so that would be an option.  Or we could even go somewhere else entirely new, which is both really exciting to think about and incredibly daunting to think about. 

Thanks for all the info, you guys.  It occurred to me sometime yesterday, that I really don't have to limit myself to just CA or FL.  Most of my family will be in CA, but the cost of living out there just terrifies me.  We have some good friends in FL, which is why I was looking there, but the area in which they live would not really work for us as we need to be where DD has plenty of musical opportunities (a youth symphony or orchestra, for example).  But really, we could go almost anywhere.  I absolutely LOVE Colorado, so the Denver area would be an option.  We lived in Dallas for a short time but really liked it, so that would be an option.  Or we could even go somewhere else entirely new, which is both really exciting to think about and incredibly daunting to think about. 

Well, then...if you were to come to Central Texas, you'd be near me and Jann. :-) And there is ZERO accountability here.