Menu

How long do you wait to be paid for an item, before moving on to the next buyer?

AimeeM

On a facebook homeschool swap, I listed the Notgrass bundle I had (great program, but definitely too easy for DD13). Immediately I had several people "in line" for it. Of course I gave dibs to first to reply. She said she wanted it. I sent my pay pal info. About 12 hours later, I asked her if she was still interested, she replied yes, but that she had a sick kiddo. I replied no problem, but to please tell me when she paid, as I had others interested.

It's 24 hours later. I have it listed now as pending. 

How long do I wait before giving it to one of the other interested parties?

I'd give her a deadline of 12 hours, only because it's already been more than 24. After this, though, I'd always give a deadline when telling someone it is "theirs" and if I don't know them, I'd take no excuses for an extension.

In this case, with no pre-stated deadline, I'd send an email with a 12-hours-from-now deadline, noting the time. In future, I'd put in the listing that if payment wasn't received within 24 hours of you accepting the purchaser, the item goes to the next in line.

I would not give all that long.  No sense in getting burned.  If people are serious, they'll pay.

On Craigslist and the like, I don't even bother with first come, first served necessarily.  If someone is more responsive, more on the ball, less flaky, and I feel is more serious, I will bump them to the front.

Since you are already into the transaction, I agree with PPs that I'd give 12 hrs notice and then move on.

I give 24 hours.

If I haven't heard from them after 12, I send a follow up email that says, "I have other people waiting in line for this item. I will give you until XYZ time to pay since that will have been 24 hours from the initial contact. If you haven't paid by XYZ time, I will move on to the next person."

In your case I would give her another 12 hours and then assume she doesn't want it.

I always do first come first serve because I've been burned before where someone jumped over me to sell to someone else who sent them a message that said, "I'll pay you right now." I would have paid immediately as well, but I was trying to follow what I consider to be seller/buyer courtesy which is to go in order. I also give 24 hours because I know that a lot of people have life come up and/or don't check their email/Facebook every five seconds.

Thanks guys. I've been buying and selling on different curriculum boards for years, and I *think* that this is the first time I've had this problem, lol. 

Yeah I don't know why people can't just be honest.  If someone told me they won't have the money until Friday I'd probably wait for them.  But acting like it's some grueling process to use Paypal is ridiculous.

I think you've already been very generous with the time.  Most facebook swap groups I've been on have a 4-hour policy.  If a person is interested and thinks they cannot be back within that 4 hour window, generally when they say "I want first dibs" they also need to say something like "at work, will check in at a specific time after work."

Yeah I don't know why people can't just be honest. If someone told me they won't have the money until Friday I'd probably wait for them. But acting like it's some grueling process to use Paypal is ridiculous.

:iagree:

I would give her a firm deadline and then move on to the next buyer.