Menu

Marshawn Lynch Skittles

Χά�ων

Ah ha! Watched the vid, he's a football player it sounds like. I thought the little interview was cute, he was a great sport :)

Funny comment... off the field he is known for not complying in those interviews.  I mean they ask really dumb, irrelevant questions that do not contribute to our knowledge of the game or the characters involved at all, but their contract with the NFL says they have to talk to the media. (Because that's what fans live for, right, the after-game bore-fests.) Anyway, they keep fining him for not talking to the press so finally he started giving interviews basically taking the piss out of the sports journalists.

I don't know a single person around here who doesn't love it. I'd love it even if it was Colin Kapaernick doing it. The fact that he's talking to Skittles is the beautiful icing on the cake.

I only know the little my kids have told me about him and what I just saw on the 2 videos that were linked, so that's not much.  

The Skittles ad was funny. And I can see the humor in his regular interviews. But *I* think if he signed a contract that is specific about talking to the media, then he should be respectful about it.  If he didn't want to do what the contract says, then he shouldn't have signed it.  If he signed it, he needs to hold up his end of it. 

Sure, the questions reporters ask are often (maybe always!) boring, ridiculous, annoying, obtuse, nonsensical, etc., but that isn't a valid reason for him to be rude and childish.

It seems to be an attention-getting tactic.

I only know the little my kids have told me about him and what I just saw on the 2 videos that were linked, so that's not much.

The Skittles ad was funny. And I can see the humor in his regular interviews. But *I* think if he signed a contract that is specific about talking to the media, then he should be respectful about it. If he didn't want to do what the contract says, then he shouldn't have signed it. If he signed it, he needs to hold up his end of it.

Sure, the questions reporters ask are often (maybe always!) boring, ridiculous, annoying, obtuse, nonsensical, etc., but that isn't a valid reason for him to be rude and childish.

It is my understanding that this is his way of coping with fairly severe social anxiety. That just saying the same thing over and over is what he is comfortable with. I personally don't think the league should control who wants to talk to the media and who doesn't.

It is my understanding that this is his way of coping with fairly severe social anxiety. That just saying the same thing over and over is what he is comfortable with. I personally don't think the league should control who wants to talk to the media and who doesn't.

Yeah, I don't get why they want players out there (talking to reporters) that aren't good at/don't want to do post game interviews.

I don't think the whole team needs to be available for post-game interviews.

That was a thought I had. He looks uncomfortable and doesn't make eye contact much. He had a tough childhood in inner city Oakland. He loves his Mama, though.

http://m.nydailynews.com/sports/football/marshawn-mom-life-big-fairy-tale-article-1.1591139#bmb=1

That's interesting to note. I certainly feel for the guy if that's what he's dealing with. 

It would probably be bad for business if the players weren't required to talk to the media because I imagine that most or all of them would choose not to. It's all about the money.  

You'd think they could make exceptions, though.  I mean, the regular interview that was linked was pretty silly, ime.  From both sides. I couldn't believe how long the reporters stood there seemingly expecting a "real" answer!  Move on, already!   :glare:

The Skittles ad was funny. And I can see the humor in his regular interviews. But *I* think if he signed a contract that is specific about talking to the media, then he should be respectful about it.  If he didn't want to do what the contract says, then he shouldn't have signed it.  If he signed it, he needs to hold up his end of it. 

I think their contracts are exceedingly long and that they don't all hire lawyers before signing. That is foolish, and yes it is wrong to break a contract.

But it is also disingenuous of the NFL to basically write into a contract for these young guys, "We own your life when you sign on." Which is, from what I understand, what is more or less in there. There are all kinds of ridiculous, non-football related things that have nothing to do with anything besides endorsements to further enrich the shareholders.

That's not to say it's right. He gets paid a HECK of a lot. I didn't mean to make it sound like that... but honestly, I think the contract is stupid because I don't believe in owning people off hours. I think there are limits. (Though I also think the salary is insane. Insane.)

I think it is pretty clear that he is very uncomfortable speaking to the media. Why pay that insane amount of money for nothing?

Anyway, I don't believe in heroes or imitation so I'm not worried about whether he is perfect or not. I like him as a pro football player. I hate all that showmanship so I can empathise with someone who's like, "I'd rather pay you a bazillion dollars than do this foolish talk." He's not the only person I know with a DUI. My dad had a few. He made exceedingly bad choices and was working as an engineer at the time. He paid his debt and he is sorry. I'm not going to say my dad is a criminal just like that. Yes he committed a crime but he paid his debt.

I think their contracts are exceedingly long and that they don't all hire lawyers before signing. That is foolish, and yes it is wrong to break a contract.

But it is also disingenuous of the NFL to basically write into a contract for these young guys, "We own your life when you sign on." Which is, from what I understand, what is more or less in there. There are ridiculous, non-football related things that have nothing to do with anything besides endorsements to further enrich the shareholders.

I think it is pretty clear that he is very uncomfortable speaking to the media. Why pay that insane amount of money for nothing?

Anyway, I don't believe in heroes or imitation so I'm not worried about whether he is perfect or not. I like him as a pro football player. I hate all that showmanship so I can empathise with someone who's like, "I'd rather pay you a bazillion dollars than do this foolish talk." He's not the only person I know with a DUI. My dad had a few. He made exceedingly bad choices and was working as an engineer at the time. He paid his debt and he is sorry. I'm not going to say my dad is a criminal just like that. Yes he committed a crime but he paid his debt.

Lynch did more than get one DUI.

He hit a woman with his car and left her in the street.

That was a thought I had. He looks uncomfortable and doesn't make eye contact much. He had a tough childhood in inner city Oakland. He loves his Mama, though.

http://m.nydailynews.com/sports/football/marshawn-mom-life-big-fairy-tale-article-1.1591139#bmb=1

Any guy who loves his mama is o.k. in my book!  :)

The article said he loathes attention, which is interesting because it seems that his handling of the interviews is guaranteed to get him just that. But I say that as someone who doesn't have much social anxiety to speak of. I wish he could get help w/handling it. And maybe he is.

GO

SEAHAWKS

we have some friends going to the game sunday.

and yes, everything I've seen about him is social anxiety - I think it's pretty obvious.   the fans don't have a problem, his team mates don't have a problem, the local media may try - but I think are much more understanding than the network media that want him fined because he won't talk to them.

GO

SEAHAWKS

we have some friends going to the game sunday.

and yes, everything I've seen about him is social anxiety - I think it's pretty obvious.   the fans don't have a problem, his team mates don't have a problem, the local media may try - but I think are much more understanding than the network media that want him fined because he won't talk to them.

What I'm wondering is...who are you going to root for in the game?   :laugh:

Any guy who loves his mama is o.k. in my book!  :)

The article said he loathes attention, which is interesting because it seems that his handling of the interviews is guaranteed to get him just that.

My guess is that he's just trying to get it to s.t.o.p. (the required interviews), not at all trying to gain attention.  If they amount to pretty much nothing, maybe they'll stop forcing him to do them. 

Lynch did more than get one DUI.

He hit a woman with his car and left her in the street.

Yes, and I think everyone who gets a DUI should effectively get punished as if they had actually hit someone because the risk is that great.

My dad beat a guy up and broke his nose. I used to be ashamed to talk about my dad. Now, probably because I have made peace with the fact that sometimes people do really bad things but that doesn't mean they are 100% bad all through, and that you can still love them, somehow I'm okay with talking about it.

On another thread Scarlett mentions that she now has an in-law who is on the sex offender registry. I'm assuming that individual was not convicted of repeated child abuse, but did in fact commit a sex crime. He served his time. Forgiven? Who knows. But everyone needs a second and third chance.

I think DUI is a horrible crime.

I think what Martha Stewart did was not a victimless crime either and it messed with a lot of people's livelihoods; on a grand scale stuff like that ruins economies and yes that does leave people in a permanently bad spot. I remember my mom was really resentful and was trashing her (Stewart) when she came on TV. Just some snarky comment about how she didn't care about other people's money, or something. And her friend pointed out that she was contrite, she apologized, and she paid her dues. You don't have to forgive but labeling her sick for life is really giving up on the human condition in my opinion.

I can judge their actions all I want. I do judge, name, and shame those actions.

I also believe that people can change and grow up. John Lennon admitted he used to beat his girlfriends. Very bad decision, wrong action. Criminal for life? Though he could have gotten convicted in the US for giving a girl a black eye? I don't think so. I am not going to label him that.

I have no illusions about any NFL player's morality. As I said on another thread, I think that regarding steroids and betting and probably other things, they are all making informed decisions and they have to live with that. It's not a circle I'd want to get into.

You won't convince me that Lynch (or any of these people, just as a list to start, among many others--all of whom deserved their punishment, none of whom deserve a life sentence) is unforgivable or deserves to be labeled a criminal for life because I don't see people like that.

Yes, and I think everyone who gets a DUI should effectively get punished as if they had actually hit someone because the risk is that great.

My dad beat a guy up and broke his nose. I used to be ashamed to talk about my dad. Now, probably because I have made peace with the fact that sometimes people do really bad things but that doesn't mean they are 100% bad all through, and that you can still love them, somehow I'm okay with talking about it.

On another thread Scarlett mentions that she now has an in-law who is on the sex offender registry. I'm assuming that individual was not convicted of repeated child abuse, but did in fact commit a sex crime. He served his time. Forgiven? Who knows. But everyone needs a second and third chance.

I think DUI is a horrible crime.

I think what Martha Stewart did was not a victimless crime either and it messed with a lot of people's livelihoods; on a grand scale stuff like that ruins economies and yes that does leave people in a permanently bad spot. I remember my mom was really resentful and was trashing her (Stewart) when she came on TV. Just some snarky comment about how she didn't care about other people's money, or something. And her friend pointed out that she was contrite, she apologized, and she paid her dues. You don't have to forgive but labeling her sick for life is really giving up on the human condition in my opinion.

I can judge their actions all I want. I do judge, name, and shame those actions.

I also believe that people can change and grow up. John Lennon admitted he used to beat his girlfriends. Very bad decision, wrong action. Criminal for life? Though he could have gotten convicted in the US for giving a girl a black eye? I don't think so. I am not going to label him that.

I have no illusions about any NFL player's morality. As I said on another thread, I think that regarding steroids and betting and probably other things, they are all making informed decisions and they have to live with that. It's not a circle I'd want to get into.

You won't convince me that Lynch (or any of these people, just as a list to start, among many others--all of whom deserved their punishment, none of whom deserve a life sentence) is unforgivable or deserves to be labeled a criminal for life because I don't see people like that.

Lynch, a public figure, has a pattern of criminal behavior...I'm talking about him, not your dad and certainly not Scarlett's relative. I don't know why you pulled Scarlett into this conversation.

Forgiveness aside, I'm glad that our criminal justice system theoretically takes patterns of criminal behavior into account when someone commits more than one crime.

Lynch, a public figure, has a pattern of criminal behavior...I'm talking about him, not your dad and certainly not Scarlett's relative. I don't know why you pulled Scarlett into this conversation.

Forgiveness aside, I'm glad that our criminal justice system theoretically takes patterns of criminal behavior into account when someone commits more than one crime.

Edited by Susan Wise Bauer
I don't think that one-line put-downs really advance the discussion...as per board rules...

But it is also disingenuous of the NFL to basically write into a contract for these young guys, "We own your life when you sign on." Which is, from what I understand, what is more or less in there. There are all kinds of ridiculous, non-football related things that have nothing to do with anything besides endorsements to further enrich the shareholders.

That's not to say it's right. He gets paid a HECK of a lot. I didn't mean to make it sound like that... but honestly, I think the contract is stupid because I don't believe in owning people off hours. I think there are limits. (Though I also think the salary is insane. Insane.)

How do you feel, for example, about the Donald Sterling racism scandal? He too was sanctioned for "off-hours" behavior because of these types of broadly-written sports contracts?

If I were Lynch, I would have my lawyer argue that my employer (the NFL) needs to make a reasonable accommodation re interviews to account for my social anxiety per the ADA.

How do you feel, for example, about the Donald Sterling racism scandal? He too was sanctioned for "off-hours" behavior because of these types of broadly-written sports contracts?

If I were Lynch, I would have my lawyer argue that my employer (the NFL) needs to make a reasonable accommodation re interviews to account for my social anxiety per the ADA.

I believe that both Lynch and Sterling "earned" their fines and had to pay. I think Sterling's attitude was relevant to the game in how players felt about the league, hence, the consequence was in some ways harsher.

My objection is to labeling.I object to the demand that to excel in anything you must have a clean record. No second chances. Commit a crime, criminal for life and no hope of success. I object to the fact that employers can ask if someone has been convicted of a felony except in caregiving positions.

I don't believe in calling a man "a criminal".

He is a man. He committed a crime. He paid his dues. Good luck to him in his journey to be a better person.

I like how he plays ball. And as a kid who once lived in the projects in California, whose godparents lived at times in Oakland, whose god-siblings still live there... Yeah I am inclined to forgive. Not to say it was okay, but to forgive. I have a friend in Georgia. His grandma was a racist. He spoke his mind gently. I'm sure, particularly following the death of his grandmother, he is more inclined to forgive (though not accept the actions of) Sterling.

And you know what? As angry as I am about racism, I think I can forgive too. In spite of everything I really do believe that hope and love conquer all.

Please note that I am not into taking sides of persons. I am not defending Lynch's every action. My mind doesn't work like that. I am talking about principles. So I can simultaneously believe that Lynch's contract is stupid, Sterling was a scapegoat, and that Lynch deserved to be fined, and Sterling deserved what he got. And forgive everyone. Because I have beliefs about principles but empathy for people.

And you know what's crazy? I'm not a pacifist, either.

I know pretty much nothing about social anxiety, so take it easy on me if this sounds like an ignorant question...how does it work that he can't talk to the media about his sport, but he can make the Skittles video? I truly don't understand.

I was just being cheeky. I have no idea if Lynch has social anxiety.

I know pretty much nothing about social anxiety, so take it easy on me if this sounds like an ignorant question...how does it work that he can't talk to the media about his sport, but he can make the Skittles video? I truly don't understand.

Well, if I were guessing I would say that there's a vast difference between 1/2 dozen or more people surrounding you with microphones and asking you questions you may not have heard before and sitting down behind a table to answer questions you likely had access to in advance which are being asked by one person who is not up in your face. The very first question on the skittles thing he jokes about not liking talking anyone, anywhere. I've known people with social anxiety who can handle one on one but shut down in groups or crowds.

Also, he was probably paid specifically for the Skittles thing and saw it as a joke.

I know pretty much nothing about social anxiety, so take it easy on me if this sounds like an ignorant question...how does it work that he can't talk to the media about his sport, but he can make the Skittles video?  I truly don't understand.  

My thinking is that he can do/is more comfortable with something that is scripted, like a commercial or maybe an interview where he maybe he is given a list of questions that might be asked and he can "practice".  I saw on interview with him last weekend (I can't remember who did it) but they were walking around Oakland and Lynch was very composed and articulate.  I was impressed.  But it was also an interview that had been planned so he knew what they'd be doing, what they'd be talking about.  (And they did discuss his DUI's and the accident where he ran into the woman.)

So it seems, to me anyway, that it's live interviews that are off-the-cuff, where he has 20 microphones shoved into his face, and multiple reporters yelling at him, that he freezes and doesn't know what to say or do.  I think Richard Sherman summed it up very well, "Marshawn’s talking to the press is the equivalent of putting a reporter on a football field and telling him to tackle Adrian Peterson."   :laugh:

Edited to add: I see Lucy beat me to it :)