Menu

Do/did you ever sleep on your back while pregnant?

Mrs. A

I keep finding myself waking up on my back after I've gone to sleep on my side. I've heard all about how it's not so great to be on your back for too long, especially as the baby gets bigger. Is this really an issue to be concerned about or is it not really a big deal?

Thanks for any input :) 

No big deal! I'm 34 weeks pregnant now, I think, and sleep on my back more often than not. My arms start hurting too quickly when I sleep on my side. I even sleep on my stomach but that is with lots of pillows surrounding me and supporting me so my stomach isn't actually touching the mattress. Side sleeping is awful for me.

So it's not really something to stress over then? That's a relief. :)  I never really thought about it with any past pregnancies because I was always a side sleeper and I never rolled onto my back. Do you think it would be pretty likely that I'll start to feel uncomfortable if it's been longer than is good for baby?

My OBGYN told me it has to do with organs cutting off the umbilical cord - hence baby's blood supply.

I was really scared about sleeping on back after this...but my mom was shocked (she's had 5) when she heard. Said doctors never told her anything about that.

So...I do sleep on my back. And I've had four healthy babies. :)

The issue is that, when lying on your back, the weight of the baby/uterus is laying on the vena cava, the main vein that carries blood back to the heard from the lower part of the body.  This has an impact on blood flow.  That said, you probably wake up on your back because it your body is telling you to move.  I wouldn't worry about it.

I read that it's normal to wake up on your back and not to worry. Just reposition. I just had a baby. I had the same concern. And I always got annoyed that the doctor's office/hospital they always needed me to lay down for some reason (darn fetal monitors, etc.).

You can work on your pillow fort if that helps. I ended up not buying a pregnancy pillow but I did have an assortment of pillows including a body pillow. If you put pillows in front of you and behind you, you probably can't roll much.

ETA: I do not think it has to do with your comfort and wouldn't rely on that as an indicator of if it's okay/best for baby. I think it has to do with organs putting weight on baby. They always say sleep on your left because that's the best for baby. I did swap sides at some point because I just couldn't sleep on my left 24/7 but chose to sleep on left more based on research.

My OBGYN told me it has to do with organs cutting off the umbilical cord - hence baby's blood supply.

I was really scared about sleeping on back after this...but my mom was shocked (she's had 5) when she heard. Said doctors never told her anything about that.

So...I do sleep on my back. And I've had four healthy babies. :)

So, I thought the first post was a typo, but now that someone else has said it I'm curious as to how this would be anatomically possible.  Sleeping on your back means the baby is on mom's organs, correct?  Not the other way around?

Anyway, I was taught that it is the baby putting weight on the vena cava like a previous poster stated.  But I was also taught that if it's a real problem, you'll feel it (if you're sleeping, you'll wake up), and it's not so much a risk of unknowingly cutting off blood supply to the baby, but rather making mom lightheaded, breathless, uncomfortable.

I also think about the fact that most moms spend a lot of time in labor on their backs if they've had an epidural, so it can't be that horrible, right?

I also think about the fact that most moms spend a lot of time in labor on their backs if they've had an epidural, so it can't be that horrible, right?

Actually, it is a problem and could lead to distress in the baby, since reducing blook flow to the heart can impact blood flow to the baby.  And, the epidural may also be reducing the laboring mom's blood pressure.   Laboring women should not be on their backs.  Actually, laboring women should not be in bed much, but moving around because it helps labor move along as well as get the baby get into the best position for birth.  But hospitals don't like active, assertive, noisy laboring moms.  They like quiet, compliant patients.  <Taking off my former childbirth educator hat and stepping off my soapbox.>

The issue is that, when lying on your back, the weight of the baby/uterus is laying on the vena cava, the main vein that carries blood back to the heard from the lower part of the body.  This has an impact on blood flow.  That said, you probably wake up on your back because it your body is telling you to move.  I wouldn't worry about it.

This is what I recall hearing the first time around. I just couldn't remember if it was a major deal or just a caution kind of thing. Since I do wake up several times a night now I guess I'll probably be fine just repositioning when I do. It's funny how the first time I wanted to know EVERYTHING and now I'm kind of like "meh... I can't really be bothered to try and remember the details."  :lol:

I know you didn't ask, but I highly recommend you look through some birthing plan worksheets to make sure you cover every angle. My first pregnancy I typed one up on my own but didn't realize things I overlooked. And I found out this time around that if you have it submitted by a certain time then the hospital gets a copy of it, too. I think with the first pregnancy the hospital didn't get a copy and that's why I kept having to explain things to the staff. Somehow I don't think the birthing plan made it to the hospital the second time, either! So just bring a copy with you.

Thanks for the reminder. It worked out fine the first 3 times, but last time the hospital had just changed computer systems, so not only did they not have my birth plan, they didn't even have me registered!  :thumbdown:  I was in transition by the time I got there and it was so so annoying (to put it mildly) to have to answer questions and explain that I wasn't having an IV and all my other preferences. Fortunately they DID know that I was having a water birth, so that was something. I'm actually looking forward to doing that a second time... it was heavenly! (Relatively speaking, that is ;) )

Actually, it is a problem and could lead to distress in the baby, since reducing blook flow to the heart can impact blood flow to the baby.  And, the epidural may also be reducing the laboring mom's blood pressure.   Laboring women should not be on their backs.  Actually, laboring women should not be in bed much, but moving around because it helps labor move along as well as get the baby get into the best position for birth.  But hospitals don't like active, assertive, noisy laboring moms.  They like quiet, compliant patients.  <Taking off my former childbirth educator hat and stepping off my soapbox.>

In Australia most laboring women are actively encouraged to do plenty of moving while in labour and are encouraged to try many different positions for giving birth. I always gave birth on my side. EVERY single time all medical staff commented that I was the only woman they have ever had in there who lay on her side. most others would give birth squatting or standing or some variant of that.

I remember it being recommended to me to place a thin pillow under one buttock if I Was sleeping on my back as this would relieve the pressure on the artery.

I had terrible hip trouble while pregnant and mostly had to sleep with a pillow between my knees while on my side to take the pressure off my hips. I remember that I would often roll over in my sleep and be on my stomach. The baby franticly kicking me would wake me up . ( yes I sleep on my stomach most of the night while not pregnant)