Just got this in my e-mail:

Merry Christmas from Veritas! 

Our Christmas gift to you:
40% off all self-paced courses

Start dates may be deferred until 8/31/15

Use discount code CHRISTMAS

40% discount will be applied

ends midnight EDT 12/21

Here's the link to the self-paced courses.  

Hope that helps some of you!

Lisa

decidingwhethertopushgonoworwaitforsummer

Do you think this means they won't offer the sale in April for 50% off? I know the cost isn't much different but I'm undecided and think I will know by April.

I have no idea if they will or not, but I do know that last years April sale did not allow you to defer the start date-- you had to start your year then. That reason has me purchasing now...

I have no idea if they will or not, but I do know that last years April sale did not allow you to defer the start date-- you had to start your year then. That reason has me purchasing now...

Same here.  I would've loved the extra $20 bucks off...*but* I also like our curriculum to fit in nice-tidy start & finish dates. :D

Do you think this means they won't offer the sale in April for 50% off? I know the cost isn't much different but I'm undecided and think I will know by April.

Who knows?  There's no real track record for an annual or semi-annual sale.  This is a pretty deep discount and I agree that the the bit extra is worth being able to delay the start date until August 2015. We bit at the April sale, but didn't start in April and I'm concerned ds will not have finished. Had I known there would be a Sept sale, I would have waited. 

Lisa

I've been wanting to try these but I can't get the code to work.  I'd like to get 3 but it appears in the cart as $597.  The discount CHRISTMAS only takes off $199 which is the normal discount for multiple students and less than 40%.  I am logged in.  Is the 40% only off the full price of the course or does it include the multiple child discount?   If I try to buy 2 the discount is $139.60 when 40% of $397 is $159.20.  

I've been wanting to try these but I can't get the code to work. I'd like to get 3 but it appears in the cart as $597. The discount CHRISTMAS only takes off $199 which is the normal discount for multiple students and less than 40%. I am logged in. Is the 40% only off the full price of the course or does it include the multiple child discount? If I try to buy 2 the discount is $139.60 when 40% of $397 is $159.20.

It discounted mine off of the sibling discount. So one at regular price 199 and one at 99 and then 40% off of that.

It discounted mine off of the sibling discount. So one at regular price 199 and one at 99 and then 40% off of that.

Thanks.  I e-mailed them to ask about the discount. It is now taking the coupon code but then removes the sibling discount.  I know most places won't allow you to combine discounts so that's why I was curious if they'd take the discount off the already reduced price.  If I use the coupon code it is $398 (not even 40% of their full price).  Using the regular sibling discount my total would be $397 so it's $1 more with the code.  I think they don't have it in their system properly.   If they are taking the 40% off of their regular prices I would be okay with it except that it increases additional children to $119 per course which is more than what they usually charge.  If it is 40% off on top of the sibling discount my total should be around $240 and I'd definitely do it for that price.  

I finally got it to work.  I paid $238.20 for 3 kids.  They responded to my e-mail pretty quickly and said to call but I just tried their site later and they seemed to have fixed the code.  I had looked at the courses before but couldn't afford their regular prices with multiple kids.  I got the Middle Ages one and will have the kids start after Christmas.  I'm having my 2nd grader try it.  She is probably a stronger reader than my 10 yo dd who has dyslexia though. 

Would you guys say this would work for a 2nd grader that reads about average or slightly below average? Or should I just have him sit in with his 3rd grade brother? Trying to decide to get 1 or 2...

Question: if I'm going to use this in August, do I still go ahead and register it now? (After purchase, I got the email to register.). I'm afraid to do anything that'll activate the course this early...

It says the start date can be delayed until August 31, 2015. That's what I'm counting on as well. With the sibling discount, this was the best price I've seen yet so I pulled the trigger for next year. 

Lisa

When I got that email today saying that my registration started 12 months from receipt of the email, I called them. The man reset my date to August 31, 2015. I didn't ask if I had to do anything else, but I imagine not? He said I could login and see the site but the course wouldn't be available until my start date...oh and he said you can move up your start date if say in July you want to start earlier, you just can't change it once it has started. We start school in late July usually, but I plan to take 4-5 weeks to cover OTAE with the cards, but it's nice to know I can move up the date if I need to.

I had to call.

Because we had just finished the 2-week sample, when I ordered the year class, it just started up that again, where we left off.  I had to specify a start date (I have no idea when we'll start next year but 8/24 seemed like a safe date :p), and I had to specify that I wanted to start the course over at the beginning.  (Figure with that long of a break, we might as well start back at the beginning and "do it right.")

Can these history courses be used secularly? We're currently using SOTW, but this looks like a fun supplement.

Honestly, I would think it would be very difficult to use VP secularly. The entire two  years of Ancients are rich with Biblical history. Middle Ages has a large portion of church history, the Modern years might be "more" possible, but VP is definitely intentionally faith based. 

Honestly, I would think it would be very difficult to use VP secularly. The entire two years of Ancients are rich with Biblical history. Middle Ages has a large portion of church history, the Modern years might be "more" possible, but VP is definitely intentionally faith based.

Thanks. We're Jewish, but prefer secular materials. We're currently using SOTW, but thought this might be a nice supplement. I'm ok with biblical stories, but are they taught from a purely Christian perspective?

Thanks. We're Jewish, but prefer secular materials. We're currently using SOTW, but thought this might be a nice supplement. I'm ok with biblical stories, but are they taught from a purely Christian perspective?

Yes.  Although with the early two levels, the specific Biblical references are from the Old Testament much of the time since those lessons mainly pertain to Ancient Egypt/Greece/Rome.  Therefore, not as specifically Christian.  But yes this is from a Christian, and more specifically Protestant, perspective as far as I can tell.

I honestly wish there were something like this that could include a Bible study on the side if a parent wanted or you could pick a specific religious history study on the side if you wanted, but the classes themselves be more broad in approach so more families could use it.  I have a lot of friends that would have liked VP SP but could not use it because of conflicting religious beliefs.