Menu

Mumps Outbreak Puzzles NHL

unsinkable

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/12006863/nhl-mumps-outbreak-puzzles-nhl

"The recent outbreak of mumps has emerged as one of the most bizarre yet compelling storylines of the 2014-15 NHL season.

Multiple teams have been affected, several players have been sidelined, and meanwhile, we are all left scratching our heads about what exactly it all means."

Looks like Minnesota has had the most players affected, with 5 players so far.

Weird.

I have wondered for a long time if there needed to be an adult booster shot for MMR. One has to consider the possibility of waning immunity over time. Combined with the larger degree of global travel now occurring, the world got a little bit smaller and that means more individuals with waning immunity being exposed to disease they otherwise might never have come in contact with 20 years ago.

Just a thought. I'm no immunologist for certain, but I have wondered about it. Then to I have also wondered about genetic mutations/adaptations in childhood diseases causing the original formulations to be ineffective. I know several fully immunized adults who were diagnosed with pertussis. They had all their shots.

Pertussis is especially noted for wearing off. I had it at 24 after my last booster had been at 12. Horrible experience.

"One dose of mumps vaccine will ‘take' (be effective) in approximately 80% of people vaccinated, but two doses of mumps vaccine will ‘take' in approximately 90% of people. Therefore, two doses are better at preventing mumps than one dose." -- from http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/mumps/vac-faqs.htm-- and in the article, he says 10% of the team was affected. I doubt it's the vaccine wearing off so much as the immunization never "took" in the first place and they just weren't exposed until now.

The part about some of the infected showing little to no symptoms is interesting, too.

"There are a couple of unique challenges with mumps. Part of that is the incubation [period] is long and can vary quite a bit -- 12 to 25 days," Wallace told ESPN.com "The other challenge is that some -- a relatively high proportion of those infected -- are going to show little or no symptoms, and we don't know how well they will spread [the disease] to others."

:zombiechase: because he's from Atlanta and because the Walking Dead is set in and around there.

The part about some of the infected showing little to no symptoms is interesting, too.

"There are a couple of unique challenges with mumps. Part of that is the incubation [period] is long and can vary quite a bit -- 12 to 25 days," Wallace told ESPN.com "The other challenge is that some -- a relatively high proportion of those infected -- are going to show little or no symptoms, and we don't know how well they will spread [the disease] to others."

:zombiechase: because he's from Atlanta and because the Walking Dead is set in and around there.

You are having WAY too much fun with that zombie emoticon!

You are having WAY too much fun with that zombie emoticon!

I know. I keep thinking...is there any way I can work the zombie smilie into this post...

I'm usually on an IPad and I have to type out the smilies, and I only remember a few and these guys are sooooo easy to remember.

:zombie:

:zombiechase:

Isn't mumps the funniest name for an illness.

I remember reading with pertussis there are around 60 strains and the vaccine only covers five of the most common. They changed from a more broad vaccine due to not using mercury. Some of the less common strains have increased.

I don't know if there are multiple strains of mumps but it's possible.

My dad had chicken pox twice and also shingles.

Pertussis is especially noted for wearing off. I had it at 24 after my last booster had been at 12. Horrible experience.

I thought the 12 year booster on pertussis was relatively new, as a matter of fact, and came about because the vax isn't totally effective. It's more effective the more recently you've had the vaccination. When I was a kid we didn't do the 12 year.

MIL had it when she was young. She still talks about it as the most awful thing ever. (Of course, everything that has ever happened to mil is more dramatic than whatever happened to the rest of us, so I'm sometimes not sure how to take her comments.)

Dd's university required proof of having received mumps vaccines twice after the age of 1. I think it might've been a state law. On the other hand, they said meningitis vax was suggested but not required.

Both the MMR and meningitis vaccinations were recommended but not compulsory for Calvin. He has had both.

I had to get the MMR vaccine in order to enroll in college in the eighties. I remember being very indignant, because I had received the vaccine the day before my first birthday and had to have it redone because it was not AFTER my first birthday. As if one day made a difference in its efficacy.

I had to get the MMR vaccine in order to enroll in college in the eighties. I remember being very indignant, because I had received the vaccine the day before my first birthday and had to have it redone because it was not AFTER my first birthday. As if one day made a difference in its efficacy.

All but two UK universities (and those aren't prestigious) are government financed (more-or-less) so if vaccinations were made compulsory, that would essentially be the government saying that people had to have them.  That's not a step that they feel able to take.

I have wondered for a long time if there needed to be an adult booster shot for MMR. One has to consider the possibility of waning immunity over time. Combined with the larger degree of global travel now occurring, the world got a little bit smaller and that means more individuals with waning immunity being exposed to disease they otherwise might never have come in contact with 20 years ago.

Just a thought. I'm no immunologist for certain, but I have wondered about it. Then to I have also wondered about genetic mutations/adaptations in childhood diseases causing the original formulations to be ineffective. I know several fully immunized adults who were diagnosed with pertussis. They had all their shots.

They seem to be recommending it for parents now. My kids span 11 years. No rec with the first 2 in 2003-5 but asked/reminded multiple times with second two in 2012-2014. DH too. (We did the boosters.) They also recommended caregivers and close relatives get one. Pertussis is/was bad here, and DH works with a large immigrant population who do not have childhood immunizations typically.

Sidney Crosby has the mumps.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/12026993/sidney-crosby-pittsburgh-penguins-diagnosed-mumps

Crosby received a booster shot against the virus before he traveled to Russia for the Winter Olympics in February, and initial tests a couple of weeks ago indicated Crosby was not in any danger.

"It came as a bit of a surprise," team doctor Dharmesh Vyas said. "Every indication was that he was well protected against the disease."

This looks painful.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sidney+crosby+mumps&client=safari&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=NmiPVIKmFYKeNvvwgPgM&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=672

"One dose of mumps vaccine will ‘take' (be effective) in approximately 80% of people vaccinated, but two doses of mumps vaccine will ‘take' in approximately 90% of people. Therefore, two doses are better at preventing mumps than one dose." -- from http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/mumps/vac-faqs.htm-- and in the article, he says 10% of the team was affected. I doubt it's the vaccine wearing off so much as the immunization never "took" in the first place and they just weren't exposed until now.

Oldest dd needed two doses of varivax (chickenpox) to have it "take." She would get rashes when exposed to kids with chicken pox - no fever, no blister heads, but a definite rash. After the second shot, it never happened again. Isn't chickenpox now actually a two shot vaccine?

I got a pertussis booster in 2012. My doc said he was starting to see middle-aged patients who had been vaccinated as children come in with it, and it's not a fun illness at any age!