Menu

Which math curriculum options go through high school?

I have been following the Saxon math thread with a fair amount of interest. I know it gets a little contentious, but I'm interested in the information I'm gleaning from there. We used Math U See (MUS) Alpha, Beta & Gamma when DD was younger. Then we switched to Saxon, and DD has done 54, 65, 76, and is currently in 87. I know that Saxon goes through high school. I am inclined to stick with Saxon, but I'd like to know what other options are out there.

I started looking around at the other suggestions in the Saxon thread, and it seems that many of the curriculum options do not go through high school. I saw so many people talking about Beast Academy that I looked it up, and I see that they only have levels 3 & 4, which, I assume are roughly 3rd & 4th grade, though I hear people saying it may be a bit higher level that than that. Still, Beast Academy will not carry a child through middle or high school. And I was surprised to see that Singapore does not appear to go through high school. Am I right about that?

So, what *does* go through middle and high school? And could you pretty, pretty please *not* use abbreviations. I don't know what most of them mean.

I agree that once Beast Academy is finished, it will go through high school (and beyond) since it is owned and created by the Art of Problem Solving company.

Singapore goes through high school, though the series changes and most people stop at 5th or 6th grade, some people continue it.

MEP Math is free and goes through high school.

NCERT (the national math curriculum of India) is also free and also goes through high school.

I'm not aware of any others really than the ones you mentioned. However, while using the same series all the way through might be good for some kids, it could be a negative for others. And there is a sort of natural break between elementary math and algebra and beyond. I don't think there's any good reason not to use different series for those if they turn out to be right for you. 

OH! The AoPS/Beast Academy connection clarifies a lot!! I didn't look it up the other day because I thought AoPS was more like a supplement of math challenge problems (from what I was gathering on the other thread).

I couldn't find the high school math books on the Singapore site yesterday, but now I'm seeing that I had to just keep clicking. There's a page that comes up that says they are not carrying some certain books because of trademark violation, and I stopped there yesterday, thinking that was it.

And there is a sort of natural break between elementary math and algebra and beyond. I don't think there's any good reason not to use different series for those if they turn out to be right for you. 

This.  There is no reason not to make a switch before algebra if you so desire.  Indeed, many schools use texts by different authors for each year at the secondary level, because the content of high school courses is relatively standardized (algebra 1, geometry, algebra 2, precalc, calc).  There is more variability with "prealgebra," but the same idea applies - no real reason not to switch if you want.  (eta, some programs are integrated, i.e., mixed, at the secondary level, so within those you would probably not switch in the middle of high school, but you could switch into such a program at the start of the secondary level.)

The more you learn about teaching math and the more time you spend understanding the scope and sequence of your current program and the methods used, and comparative strengths and weaknesses of many programs, the more comfortable you will become with using different resources at different points in time.  The more involved you are in knowing where your student is at and how he or she learns best, the more flexibility you will find in utilizing the banquet of resources out there.

Oh, yes, definitely. We are not tied to Saxon math, but I'm also not actively looking to switch right now. I'm just wondering what's out there. I like to spend some time doing the research and letting the information simmer for a while before deciding.

I feel like I have a good handle on how DD learns and what works for her. Right now, Saxon is it. DH & I were also both successfully Saxon educated. So, I don't have some of the concerns about the program expressed by others in the Saxon thread. I see DD progressing just fine. Her skills and understanding are both above grade level. She's been known to exceed her supposed skill base on standardized math tests because she can reason out the answers to problems she's never seen.

However, she does enjoy some outside-the-box challenges. Right now, we feed that interest with logic puzzles. I'm wondering if we want to switch math, at some point, to something with more of those challenge/puzzle type questions OR if we want to add more math-type questions into our logic studies.

OH! The AoPS/Beast Academy connection clarifies a lot!! I didn't look it up the other day because I thought AoPS was more like a supplement of math challenge problems (from what I was gathering on the other thread).

There are two different sets of AOPS books. There are the original pair of problem solving books, which were written as a supplement to more basic PS curricula. Then there are the books written as a curriculum (including electives), which were written later.

If your DD is able to think outside the box to solve problems, clearly Saxon is working for her -- I don't think I'd switch at this point.

However, if she enjoys problem-solving mathematics, you might investigate including some topics from AOPS, from the problem-solving vol 1: the basics or the number theory or the counting and probability books. Both of these should be appropriate after algebra 1 -- the NT/CP books are each appropriate for a one-semester elective or a summer elective, but would work fine as a year-long half-credit elective as well.

Another supplement for creativity and interest could be books by Ed Zaccaro including Challenge Math and Real World Algebra

And there is a sort of natural break between elementary math and algebra and beyond. I don't think there's any good reason not to use different series for those if they turn out to be right for you. 

This.

On the high school boards you will find few people that have used the same curriculum all the way through. High school math is quite separate from elementary math. Geometry is quite separate from the Algebra sequence (unless you use Saxon). I huge number of people switch math curriculum providers when they reach the end of arithmetic and move into Algebra.

Don't let future math choices make your current ones. It isn't necessary.

Singapore Math or Horizons has been my fave for prior to high school level stuff. Algebra...I like Foresters best, but also think Jacob's is top quality. I used Jacob's geometry before but am looking for something different. We will use Foresters for Alg 2 and pre cal, which is what I have used before. 

I do not feel you will ever find anything that is great for 1st grade and still great for high school. I highly recommend switching things up for high school and going with a set of books written by math people. Grade school, you want math written by those who specialize in children. High school, you want those who specialize  in math to write them. I think Jay Wile or someone else had an article about this.

Grade school, you want math written by those who specialize in children. High school, you want those who specialize  in math to write them.

I would prefer the grade school math curriculum to be designed by people who are experts in math in the first place, not people who "specialize in children".

The biggest problem with grade school math instruction is a lack of conceptual insight and explanations on part of the book and/or teacher. Only a person with a thorough math expertise should write math curriculum - even at lower levels.

I'm starting my 3rd child and we have used 5 or 6 programs so far. That sounds like a LOT, but it isn't, especially because almost all of the switching happened before 3rd grade. We start with a base curriculum and then add in other things as needed. There really isn't the level of commitment that you might expect-at least that was true for me.