Menu

Mattress Pads ... Do I need them?

aggieamy

Please talk to me like I'm a moron on this ..  I feel like this is one of those adult things I should know but I don't.

We just purchased new beds for DD and for our guest room.  DD got a memory foam bed and the guest room (polled our guests with their preferences!) will be a traditional spring mattress.  I didn't even think about a mattress pad because DH and I don't have one on our bed because it's memory foam.  DD's old bed was springs and we did have mattress pads for it.  

Do I need a mattress pad?  What does it do?  Do you use one with memory foam mattresses?  

I keep high quality, waterproof mattress pads on all the beds in our home.  I come from a big family and have seen/heard it all when it comes to fluids and mattresses. I buy the high quality, soft kind that you can't tell are there. They protect from middle of the night urine accidents (your kids and their friends), vomit, bloody noses, menses (especially in unsuspecting young girls) and other 'dream inspired' fluids from boys. They also help with dust mites because you can wash them periodically.   Another benefit is if a kid spills a cup of water or anything else, it is easy to take off the pad and wash it, instead of sending them back to sleep in a wet bed. 

We were able to get a mattress replaced under warranty one time after several years, because it formed a divot where my husband slept on it.  The only way they would honor the warranty was if it was still immaculate, with zero body fluid stains.  

I keep high quality, waterproof mattress pads on all the beds in our home.  . They also help with dust mites

my mother and I were staying at my brother's, and she was coughing horribly.  she was asthmatic, and had copd.  I went and got a good waterproof/allergy proof pad.  she was finally able to sleep.

yes - even viscose foam should have a pad to help keep it clean.  you can wash the pad (and should regularly) - not the mattress.

When I bought my mom's $2000 memory foam mattress set recently, they sold me a $80ish mattress protector that feels like soft cotton good quality sheeting (but a bit stretchy), but is actually waterproof! It is the bomb. I think it zipped on, but I am not sure, since I haven't taken it off again. They explained that the old thicker kind of mattress pads diminish the effectiveness of the memory foam -- as they create a hammock effect. Made sense to me. That's what I'd get if I were you.

Personally, whether for kids or adults. . .  I'd never want a mattress without serious protection either a very thick absorbent one . . . or a waterproof one. Now that they make waterproof ones that don't feel plasticky, I am sure I'll only buy those in the future. Bodily fluids just happen. One wild night of tEa, or one sudden battle with the stomach flu, one old lady with leaky depends, one nursing mom with leaky bOOKs or one nursing baby with milkus-vomitus . ..  or one little kid with an accident (or baby with a diaper explosion), and there goes your $1000+ mattress set -- right to the dump IMHO. IME, I just can't imagine any mattress set lasting more than a year or two even in the best of circumstances. Unless maybe the bed is only used by single females in their 20s with pre-baby good bladders and iron stomachs. No males of any age, no frisky couples, no males past puberty, no child bearing women or kids of any age, no old people, no sick people. OK, I can't imagine any mattress lasting any period of time in my house, for sure. I am sure I'd have had to replace our mattress set at least 300 times in the last 20 years if we didn't have good mattress covers. Instead, we replaced it once, a decade ago. 

Heck, I won't buy upholstered couches or chairs unless they have washable slipcovers and are cheap enough to throw away when actually soiled . . . Maybe we are just remarkably messy people. 

I think everything should be gross-proof or washable. Period. :) 

Absolutely, and it must be waterproof.

We have them on every bed in the house, especially the master since sick kids always want to crawl into bed with us.  I have always purchased ours from Macys.  I think they are the charter club brand (they are not hot and plastic feeling like some can be....more of a thick felt).