Menu

What do you expect from the government?

There seems to be such a wide range of opinions on what the job of the federal gov. is supposed to be.

In your ideal world, what would the federal gov. be responsible for, what would state gov. be responsible for,and what would be left to county/city gov?

Are your expectations based on your needs/wants or based on something else?

Just curious about this! Thanks!

The Constitution defines what the role of the federal gov't. is, and when it doesn't it should be left to the states. I'm pretty sure that is the 10th amendment. The Declaration of Independence says that the sole purpose of government is to secure our unalienable rights given us by God. Other than that I think the federal government needs to back off...not that it will!

I expect a lot more and better than what we have been getting these past 8 years!!!

I expect them to work for the good of the majority, not certain special interest groups.

I expect them to look to the future of the people and the Earth, on which we all have to live, and take that into consideration, not just the immediate future, and a "quick fix" to a temporary problem.

I expect them to work towards peace, not simply power. Our power over others is not our strength, our compassion and assistance is.

I expect them to recognize where we have excess, as in nuclear weapons, and to not expand upon it; and to recognize where we are lacking, as in social programs for youth, education, the poor, and to work for that.

I expect them to try to work towards equality for all, instead of superiority for a few.

While I expect them to help others where they can globally, I expect them to help those who are really needy here, first--not taking from others they can help globally, but taking from unnecessary spending and programs here. Feeding and housing the poor should certainly come before many other things in this country, but does not.

I expect them to understand the needs of the people, and not become so distant from them that they have no compassion for them. I expect them to travel among them on a regular basis, well protected, of course, but to see what it is like, not only in the best of circumstances, but also in the worst.

I expect them to not mix their religion with the politics of the nation.

I expect them to remain above reproach, personally, at least while in the Oval Office.

I expect them to honor their oath, without exception.

Simply, I expect perfection :).

I expect a lot more and better than what we have been getting these past 8 years!!!

I expect them to work for the good of the majority, not certain special interest groups.

I expect them to look to the future of the people and the Earth, on which we all have to live, and take that into consideration, not just the immediate future, and a "quick fix" to a temporary problem.

I expect them to work towards peace, not simply power. Our power over others is not our strength, our compassion and assistance is.

I expect them to recognize where we have excess, as in nuclear weapons, and to not expand upon it; and to recognize where we are lacking, as in social programs for youth, education, the poor, and to work for that.

I expect them to try to work towards equality for all, instead of superiority for a few.

While I expect them to help others where they can globally, I expect them to help those who are really needy here, first--not taking from others they can help globally, but taking from unnecessary spending and programs here. Feeding and housing the poor should certainly come before many other things in this country, but does not.

I expect them to understand the needs of the people, and not become so distant from them that they have no compassion for them. I expect them to travel among them on a regular basis, well protected, of course, but to see what it is like, not only in the best of circumstances, but also in the worst.

I expect them to not mix their religion with the politics of the nation.

I expect them to remain above reproach, personally, at least while in the Oval Office.

I expect them to honor their oath, without exception.

Simply, I expect perfection :).

You don't want much, do you???? :lol:

The Constitution defines what the role of the federal gov't. is, and when it doesn't it should be left to the states. I'm pretty sure that is the 10th amendment. The Declaration of Independence says that the sole purpose of government is to secure our unalienable rights given us by God. Other than that I think the federal government needs to back off...not that it will!

I agree completely. And, for what it's worth, the "pursuit of happiness" is not the same thing as "happiness."

:iagree: Yep. Unfortunately they want to get involved with everything else and mess it up.

:iagree:

To leave me and mine alone, and everyone else for that matter.

To not extract so much money from us that we are literally re-buying our ranch every ten years.

To not rob us in the name of property taxes (see above) and then hand it over to the public schools.

National defense only, I'm not even concerned about roads. And I got a feeling their definition of national defense and mine aren't anything the same.

Leave me alone, get off my property and quit telling me what to do.

ideally, I prefer the Capitalist/Objectivist form of gvt [capitalism.org], but i disagree with them on abortion per unproportional use of force issues.

I think the Constitution does a pretty good job of handling gvt in the meantime, even if the people don't. ;) Here's hoping the Constitution Party picks up some speed.....

here's our opinion FWIW!

We feel that the more the federal government gets involved in things like health care, social security, education, medicare, etc, the more people rely on their federal government to take care of them. This makes people vote for those who make promises to them about these types of programs. The politician can use scare tactics to win votes instead of actually standing for something! When personal freedoms start to be taken away, people are less apt to speak out because it involves their comfort, their wallett, and their future.

Because so much of this is handled by the federal government, then you have politicians listening to lobbyists more than they listen to their constituents. You have politicians who are not public servants, but, are getting rich being a politician with kickbacks and handouts and "gifts". It's corrupt. De-centralizing helps with that. It makes it so that the consumers and citizens make a lot of these decisions and people are catering to me and you, not our elected officials.

I think that some of this can be handled more by the state or by non-profits. This is just my opinion.

I like a de-centralized federal government. I want them to uphold the constitution and defend our personal freedoms. That's a full-time job as it is.

Off my soapbox and onto our regularly scheduled programming.:001_smile:

here's our opinion FWIW!

We feel that the more the federal government gets involved in things like health care, social security, education, medicare, etc, the more people rely on their federal government to take care of them. This makes people vote for those who make promises to them about these types of programs. The politician can use scare tactics to win votes instead of actually standing for something! When personal freedoms start to be taken away, people are less apt to speak out because it involves their comfort, their wallett, and their future.

Because so much of this is handled by the federal government, then you have politicians listening to lobbyists more than they listen to their constituents. You have politicians who are not public servants, but, are getting rich being a politician with kickbacks and handouts and "gifts". It's corrupt. De-centralizing helps with that. It makes it so that the consumers and citizens make a lot of these decisions and people are catering to me and you, not our elected officials.

I think that some of this can be handled more by the state or by non-profits. This is just my opinion.

I like a de-centralized federal government. I want them to uphold the constitution and defend our personal freedoms. That's a full-time job as it is.

:iagree:

here's our opinion FWIW!

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I'm sure this line has been over-used but imo it has a lot of food for thought.

Why would I want the goverment to have more to do when they can't do a good job with what they're already supposed to take care of?

They need to stick to the constitution and until they can get that one down, they need to step off.

:iagree: This is my govt. dream as well.

To leave me and mine alone, and everyone else for that matter.

To not extract so much money from us that we are literally re-buying our ranch every ten years.

To not rob us in the name of property taxes (see above) and then hand it over to the public schools.

National defense only, I'm not even concerned about roads. And I got a feeling their definition of national defense and mine aren't anything the same.

Leave me alone, get off my property and quit telling me what to do.

:iagree: The federal gov't has no business doing 90% of what it does today.