Menu

Just a little mommy brag:

Jenny in Florida

A few folks may remember that my son auditioned at the beginning of the semester for his school's big fall musical and did not even get a call back. He auditioned for the musical theatre ensemble and did not make that. He auditioned for the student-choreographed dance "happening" and was invited to join only the tap piece. So, it was kind of a rough start to his first year on campus.

In the meantime, though, he was given the role of Papageno in the Magic Flute excerpts his opera class did for their fall concert and did a great job with that. He got cheers and whoops in his small featured bit in the tap dance. When the freshman guy who had been accepted into the musical theatre ensemble didn't work out, the director sought out my son and asked him to join. He stepped into the roles the other student had vacated and did a fantastic job. (Sweet moment: The director of the fall musical was in the audience for the ensemble's performance and sought out my son afterward to tell him how good he was.)

This past weekend, he auditioned for the faculty-choreographed spring dance concert. Students could be offered roles in up to four dances but are allowed to accept no more than three. My son was offered the maximum of four, including not only ballet and tap but Latin and African. He was apparently told on the quiet that he was in the running for the lead in the ballet piece but is just too tall to effectively partner the women. (He's 5'11". It happens a lot.)

We're super proud of him, not only because he did so well at the auditions, but because he's hung in there and chosen to put his best foot forward in every opportunity he's had, even when he didn't initially get the reception he might have hoped for. 

A few folks may remember that my son auditioned at the beginning of the semester for his school's big fall musical and did not even get a call back. He auditioned for the musical theatre ensemble and did not make that. He auditioned for the student-choreographed dance "happening" and was invited to join only the tap piece. So, it was kind of a rough start to his first year on campus.

In the meantime, though, he was given the role of Papageno in the Magic Flute excerpts his opera class did for their fall concert and did a great job with that. He got cheers and whoops in his small featured bit in the tap dance. When the freshman guy who had been accepted into the musical theatre ensemble didn't work out, the director sought out my son and asked him to join. He stepped into the roles the other student had vacated and did a fantastic job. (Sweet moment: The director of the fall musical was in the audience for the ensemble's performance and sought out my son afterward to tell him how good he was.)

This past weekend, he auditioned for the faculty-choreographed spring dance concert. Students could be offered roles in up to four dances but are allowed to accept no more than three. My son was offered the maximum of four, including not only ballet and tap but Latin and African. He was apparently told on the quiet that he was in the running for the lead in the ballet piece but is just too tall to effectively partner the women. (He's 5'11". It happens a lot.)

We're super proud of him, not only because he did so well at the auditions, but because he's hung in there and chosen to put his best foot forward in every opportunity he's had, even when he didn't initially get the reception he might have hoped for. 

That kind of perseverance is praise-worthy!  Excellent!  Good job!