Menu

How do I become a better writer?

Excelsior! Academy

Do you know what you are doing that is "bad" or "wrong?"

I'd look at things like grammar and punctuation, and then move on to word usage.

After all of that was corrected or made better, then I'd go to the "philosophy part," for lack of a better way to say it! (Obviously I need help in all those departments.) I like Stephen King's book on writing, for example.

I am in the same boat.

I read extensively when I was younger - that did nothing to help my writing.

Just writing doesn't help - I sit with pen in hand staring, staring, staring at a blank piece of paper.

I took freshman English twice at 2 different colleges (A's all 4 semesters) - still can't write.

I've looked at Institute for Excellence in Writing, Classical Writing, Classical Composition, and Writing the Classical Way. I think I will try Writing the Classical Way when I make my next Amazon order. Hopefully I will make some progress.

Best wishes.

Write, write, write and read, read, read!  The only way you'll get better is to keep trying.  I've been writing fan fiction for a while, and there is a big difference between what I wrote early on, compared to what I write now.  I want to work on original stuff now that my writing is better.  Just keep going.  Even if you think it's crap, just keep going.  Don't revise while you're writing, just keep going, and revise later.  When I'm writing, even if I know it's bad, I keep going.  Before I post a chapter of my ff, I go back and revise before posting.  Keep writing!

Read.  And while you read, take the time to pick apart what you're reading.  One of the things that really helps me improve is to find a book that's good, but not great, and figure out what would have made it better.  You don't have to write it down on paper or anything like that, but as you're reading, say to yourself, "This sentence could have been stronger by phrasing it like so...  That's a cliche, cut that... This character doesn't have a strong personality, I'd do such-and-such to change that..." 

I am a decent writer, but when I decide to "write" I get so stuck.  It finally occurred to me that I am a responsive writer.  I need something to respond to.  It's why I like posting here and in the social groups as opposed to sitting and writing in a journal.  

Sometimes I will take the time to write a response to a post here or somewhere else, and then go back and edit it, and edit it again.  I've found my worst flaws that way, and have been able to correct them when I take the time to edit.  My worst flaw is wordiness.  When I go back and edit, I cut out at least 1/3 of the words I wrote in my first draft.  

The other thing that helped me become a good writer was sheer volume.  I worked in management and received over 300 emails a day, all of which needed a decision and a clear and quick response, and on the first draft.  No time to edit many responses when there is such a large volume.  Maybe you don't want to sign up for 300 emails a day (smile) but signing up to write something, somewhere, every day--that's what is going to make your writing improve (at least if you work at it).  

My son's AP teacher used this book, http://www.writersstore.com/on-writing-well-william-zinsser/?utm_source=GoogleShop&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=mercent&cid=1800&mr:trackingCode=ED7E91D0-AC46-E111-B136-001B21BCB944&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla&gclid=Cj0KEQiAs6GjBRCy2My09an6uNIBEiQANfY4zBcgvpqsnssUn7Buavn5tYFcrBrw5zhrHuVIJFRX_d0aAq-c8P8HAQ, and I went through it myself and my writing improved.  

I still have a lot to learn.

1. develop a regular habit of setting aside time and a place to write

2. notice if some times of the day work better for you, and write then

3. write frequently

4. find books by writers you admire, about writing and learn from them. I enjoyed PD James' book about writing detective fiction, for example.

5. read a lot, especially things that are a little off the beaten track for you

6. read books that your favorite writers read and liked

7. share your writing with peers and listen to their feedback. If it's not helpful, choose someone else.

8. proofread or read work by your peers and give them feedback

9. if you have an inspiration, make a note of it and keep it for when you need an idea

10. chew over what you are working on while you do housework or cook

11. pressure helps: set deadlines or enter contests

12. translate what you are writing into an other language and contemplate the effect, see how it changes what you've written, then translate it back

13. Have the right kind of pen! :)

I second Bravewriter. I get her daily emails, which are just as inspiring to me as a writer as they are useful for my kids.

I mostly write fiction.

What has helped me:

--Taking writing classes at the community college, going to local writing conferences/festivals

--Reading "how to" books about writing.

--Being part of a critique group or having critique partners. I don't belong to a "group" right now, but I have a couple of writing friends that I trade chapters, etc. with. I've found that reading other people's writing, especially writers who's writing is not perfect yet (like it is in a book) is invaluable in helping me become a better writer.

--So agree about analyzing what works in books.

Good luck!

Just started reading Ursula Le Guin's The Wave in the Mind. I began with her essay on Tolkein's writing style. There are also some essays about writing in there.

Highly recommended-- that is, if you like Le Guin.

I tried to read something of the same sort by Margaret Atwood, but I could not stomach her style at all.

Bird by Bird and Stephen King's books on writing rock!

Also, write like you're talking to a beloved friend or relative. Most write way too formally. You want your writing to sound interesting -- super formal writing is a snooze. I mean, unless you're writing a cover letter for a resume. But, aside from going for a job, you want to hook people with funny stories and interesting copy.

Alley

The advice not to edit as you write is spot on. Remember, the first draft is usually crap, but you have to get the story down so you can look at the whole thing - see the big picture so you know how to go about editing it. It is very helpful to think about plot and character as you read other authors. Does the plot work? Do they make you care about the characters? Just because a book is a bestseller doesn't make the writing good. I've put down plenty that were supposedly awesome because the plot was full of holes or I just couldn't be bothered to care what happened to the characters. When I finish writing a first draft of a novel I always put it down for at least 2 weeks before I even look at it again. Fresh eyes are a good thing. Also, find a writer whose style you really like and immerse yourself in it. For me, that is Pat Conroy. His prose is beautiful, his characters complex, and his plots compelling.....to me. :) I could say the same of Alexandre Dumas and The Count Of Monte Cristo. 

And yes, PD James is awesome!