Menu

Please help me choose a game

Twolittleboys

Game for Christmas  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these games should I get for 12 year old ds?

• Smallworld
    • 7 Wonders
    • Dominion
    • 10 days in Africa
    • Other (please post your idea)

I am looking for a game for my 12 year old son. Younger brother doesn't like losing a game so best would be either a cooperative game or one that can also be played with two players (so younger ds can sit out the game).

We got some really nice games last year (Mouse & Mystic, Castle Ravenloft) but even though we all like them we never play them because they just take too long. I enjoy logic/thinking games (like Rummycube) but ds doesn't (he lost a couple of times and now doesn't want to try any more - yes, we all have issues with losing). DS really likes Risk but noone likes to play it with him because he wins so easily and because it takes too long.

Given the above it would probably be best if the game just took about 30 to 45 minutes. Possible games I am looking at are Smallworld (ds would probably like it as it seems a bit like Risk, brother probably wouldn't though and it seems to take a bit long?), 7 Wonders, Dominion, and possibly 10 days in Africa (I admit that I like the educational aspect). None of them are cooperative which is too bad. However, younger brother will get a cooperative game and we already own a bunch so that isn't absolutely necessary.

Pandemic by Z-man.  Co-op, some luck.

Oh, I really, really would like to get that game. But I think it would be too scary for the kids. It is about a pandemic, right? I know it is just a game etc. but they are really sensitive with stuff like that. We can't even play our Sherlock Holmes game unless I double-check that the "case" is only a minor crime (and not murder or anything like that). Strangely, killing monsters/armies doesn't seem to face them much though.

If you don't think that Pandemic would work, Forbidden Island is the same concept of working cooperatively.  Basically, you have to work together to keep the island from sinking, and then when you have collected enough of the pieces to get away, get to the helicopter and fly away with everyone.  Every wins or everyone loses.  It's pretty fun, and my kids like it.  You can also set the game at the beginning to be on the easier side or the harder side.

By the way, 7 wonders is not a good game for 2 players, so even though I did not vote, I wouldn't get that, as it works better with more players.

I voted SmallWorld.  My ds12 loves that game, and we had gotten for him. It's a lot of fun and doesn't take too long to play.  We have Dominion, but he finds that game too difficult.  He can't seem to keep up with the pace.  I will say that it is my dd16's favorite games, as well as my ds15.  We have 10 days in Europe and none of my kids like it.  I don't know why, but they don't.  

Thanks for the additional ideas. Too bad about 7 wonders - I rather liked the look of it but not sure if we can get younger ds to play. We already have Forbidden Island and like it okay though it is not my favorite (not sure why as I really like the artwork). Castle Panic definitely looks like a good one though. I thought it would take too long but apparently that isn't so...

We haven't gotten very far with the two cooperative games we got last year as it just takes so long to set up/play. And because we play so rarely we forget the rules and the games take forever. So definitely need something a bit less involved (at least until we have played through the other two). Does anyone have experience with the Family Pasttimes games for older kids? We have a couple and most of them have been favorites.

7 Wonders is one of my favorites, but really there should be four players.

I vote Carcassone. I LOVE that game. DH and I play one game every weekend, just the two of us over coffee.... BEFORE we let anyone else join us for a game. Fast, can be quite strategic, and quick to learn.

Okay, it sounds like 7 Wonders is out as it would be better to have a game that just two could play (and the most would be three). We do have Carcassone and ds likes it quite a bit. I don't really care for it but I think it is mainly because I always lose (mostly on purpose). I don't mind so much losing on purpose at the end (i.e. playing a regular game and then just making mistakes at the end) because I know I would have won. But with Carcassone I can't really judge so pretty much play badly the entire game. Given what I just said, I probably should stick with cooperative games...

Actually, there are games ds is just naturally really good at so I don't have to try to loose (it happens anyway) so these are fine. And it is okay if he looses occasionally just not the majority... Castle Panic is definitely a contender and I will look at King of Tokyo again.

Sorry if I sound kind of negative about some of the suggestions. I wish we weren't all so competitive (okay and a bit emotional when it comes to losing). 

I keep buying games and we keep not playing them more than once or twice because they take too long to set up, are too complicated to learn quickly, or take forever to play.

We usually end up getting out a deck of cards.  ;)

I sympathize with you, as I have wasted a lot of money on games that we have hardly used -- and we have one closetful of brand new games we never even opened because after we read the reviews, we sort of lost all hope for them. 

Smallworld is great for this age group, but if you're worried about over-competitive natures it may not be the best. Neither would 7 Wonders, although it's a great game. You're influenced by the people to either side so people with very competitive natures may get frustrated. 

Forbidden Island/Forbidden Desert are both shorter co-op games and could work for you. Castle Panic is semi-cooperative, but it would still fit your needs. It's fighting attacking goblins and protecting a castle together. One person is the 'winner' but you work together. It takes a bit longer. 

Not mentioned yet, but Escape: Curse of the Temple or Zombie 15. Both of them are 15 minute games where everyone makes decisions in real time, so everything is happening at the same time. Lots of dice-rolling for Escape (I haven't played Zombie 15). There's also an audio recording, so it's possible a nervous person wouldn't enjoy the craziness but it is very fast and co-operative (you win and lose together).  

I think Dominion is a great game too. You are competing for who has the most land, but you aren't directly competitive unless you buy a special expansion which allows you to hurt each other. Most of the game is using money and actions to gain land. You spend a lot of time drawing cards, spending money and actions, buying things, and then shuffling your cards. There are lots of cards in the base set so you can pick new actions every time. The game ends when 3 piles of cards are acquired. With 3-4 people, it's usually under an hour. The hardest part is usually remembering what the action cards do (I usually just read them while everyone else takes their turn) and shuffling. Most people like this game. 

Also not very competitive: Bohnanza (short, card trading and set collecting game)

10 Days is a fun game, but it's very educational. Unless your child is really into geography it won't get played very often. 

Quick 2-player games that would work with a 12 year old: 

Tessen (set collection and attack game, very fast, players play simultaneously)

Travel Blokus (more strategic)

Battle Line (more strategic)

2+ players, quick game: 

Momma Mia (memory game)

Mosaix (manipulating symbols)

Archaeology (set collection)

Cartagena

Coloretto

San Juan (longer, more complex)

Blueprints (building with dice, longer)

For Sale

Smallworld is great for this age group, but if you're worried about over-competitive natures it may not be the best. Neither would 7 Wonders, although it's a great game. You're influenced by the people to either side so people with very competitive natures may get frustrated. 

Forbidden Island/Forbidden Desert are both shorter co-op games and could work for you. Castle Panic is semi-cooperative, but it would still fit your needs. It's fighting attacking goblins and protecting a castle together. One person is the 'winner' but you work together. It takes a bit longer. 

Not mentioned yet, but Escape: Curse of the Temple or Zombie 15. Both of them are 15 minute games where everyone makes decisions in real time, so everything is happening at the same time. Lots of dice-rolling for Escape (I haven't played Zombie 15). There's also an audio recording, so it's possible a nervous person wouldn't enjoy the craziness but it is very fast and co-operative (you win and lose together).  

I think Dominion is a great game too. You are competing for who has the most land, but you aren't directly competitive unless you buy a special expansion which allows you to hurt each other. Most of the game is using money and actions to gain land. You spend a lot of time drawing cards, spending money and actions, buying things, and then shuffling your cards. There are lots of cards in the base set so you can pick new actions every time. The game ends when 3 piles of cards are acquired. With 3-4 people, it's usually under an hour. The hardest part is usually remembering what the action cards do (I usually just read them while everyone else takes their turn) and shuffling. Most people like this game. 

Also not very competitive: Bohnanza (short, card trading and set collecting game)

10 Days is a fun game, but it's very educational. Unless your child is really into geography it won't get played very often. 

Quick 2-player games that would work with a 12 year old: 

Tessen (set collection and attack game, very fast, players play simultaneously)

Travel Blokus (more strategic)

Battle Line (more strategic)

2+ players, quick game: 

Momma Mia (memory game)

Mosaix (manipulating symbols)

Archaeology (set collection)

Cartagena

Coloretto

San Juan (longer, more complex)

Blueprints (building with dice, longer)

For Sale

Thanks so much for this detailed reply! There are several games on here I will look at more closely.

Writing in this thread has reminded me that ultra-competitive games won't work in our family yet (if they ever will). Younger ds won't even play if he thinks he might lose (and being the youngest his chances are usually a bit low), older ds will stop playing if he loses more than once in a while and to be honest I don't enjoy losing either (though I am okay with it if it isn't constant / if I can play a regular game and "throw" it at the end). So I guess we will wait with Smallworld and 7 Wonders (which also seems to not work so well with just two players).

We have Forbidden Island and like it okay. It does not lead to fights (good) but we don't really love it either - not sure why. Come to think of it, the kids are kind of okay with losing some games. For example none of us mind too much losing at Code 777 or even Ticket to Ride (well I always win but the kids can kind of stand it). But longer, more involved games are a problem (like Monopoly).

I did look at Escape but think the timing factor would stress us all. And there would probably be fights as well (we lost because YOU weren't fast enough).

Right now I am tending to Castle Panic - I think the kids would like the theme, it is cooperative and doesn't seem to be as involved as some of the other games we have. I really also like the look of Dominiom. Older ds would probably be really good at it so would generally win even if I try to play well so two of us would already be okay.  I also really like the idea of 10 Days as I love educational stuff (not just because it is good for the kids but just because it is cool). But maybe getting it as a present would be overkill and I should just get it for the whole family...

Another game I saw that looked good is Robinson Crusoe but I think it might be a bit too complicated/involved. Maybe also scary?

We do have Archeology and like it pretty well (and here losing isn't such a big deal). I will take a closer look at the other games you mentioned. It sounds like those would mostly be fairly inexpensive so maybe we could get one as a stocking stuffer?

Again, thanks for the great explanation. Even after reading Amazon reviews etc. it can be hard to get a real sense for a game. And of course it is easy to miss a great option that way.

SET can be played cooperatively or competitively.

We play Bananagrams competitively (First Bananas!, Second Bananas!) but then help the last player finish his/her hand.

Regards,

Kareni

We do have SET but haven't played it in a long while. We really need to make more time for playing together and SET is first on my list!

Have you looked at any Looney Labs games? Fluxx is usually a shorter game, but it's fun and hard for the same person to win all the time. There's a lot of chance involved, and sometimes you can play a card and actually make another player win without meaning to!

I love Chrononauts, but it is probably too competitive. It's a time travel game, so one player will save the Titanic on their turn, and the next player will sink it again, etc. It's fun though and could be considered a bit educational for learning some of the key events of modern history.

They have a lot of other great games too!

Have you looked at any Looney Labs games? Fluxx is usually a shorter game, but it's fun and hard for the same person to win all the time. There's a lot of chance involved, and sometimes you can play a card and actually make another player win without meaning to!

I love Chrononauts, but it is probably too competitive. It's a time travel game, so one player will save the Titanic on their turn, and the next player will sink it again, etc. It's fun though and could be considered a bit educational for learning some of the key events of modern history.

They have a lot of other great games too!

Chrononauts looks great! I might get that one for the stocking (yes, I really am into educational stuff)

Oh, I really, really would like to get that game. But I think it would be too scary for the kids. It is about a pandemic, right? I know it is just a game etc. but they are really sensitive with stuff like that. We can't even play our Sherlock Holmes game unless I double-check that the "case" is only a minor crime (and not murder or anything like that). Strangely, killing monsters/armies doesn't seem to face them much though.

I have a very sensitive child, but he's never had an issue with the game, fwiw. There's nothing gruesome or scary in a concrete way about it, and unless your kids are really aware of past pandemics, I can't imagine it actually being scary. It's a very abstract way of battling diseases since each outbreak's intensity is represented by cubes. It's one of our favorites, and it's actually been really good for helping us work more constructively with each other. It's also been a hit with DS12's friends.

I have a very sensitive child, but he's never had an issue with the game, fwiw. There's nothing gruesome or scary in a concrete way about it, and unless your kids are really aware of past pandemics, I can't imagine it actually being scary. It's a very abstract way of battling diseases since each outbreak's intensity is represented by cubes. It's one of our favorites, and it's actually been really good for helping us work more constructively with each other. It's also been a hit with DS12's friends.

Maybe I'll talk to them again...  It's not so much that I think the game is gruesome but I assume that if the players lose it means the disease will spread unchecked? I know it is just the background story but I think the stakes might be too high for the kids - they would probably get stressed out about losing (and thereby "killing" people). But maybe I am too pessimistic. I think I would love the game and I have a lot of good things about it...

If you think Chrononauts looks interesting you may like Timeline or Chronology. Looney Labs also has a Back to the Future version. 

Fluxx either tames competitive people (it's so random) or it drives them absolutely bonkers. Look at the themed ones. We like Pirate Fluxx with my 11 year old, but some of them have ties to things like Monty Python and the Holy Grail.