Menu

Not owning Kindle books?

Night Elf

I remember reading somewhere that when I purchase a Kindle book, it's not really me owning the book and they can take it off my device. I never paid any attention to it. Today out of curiosity, I checked the number of digital orders I had versus the number of books on my Kindle. I've purchased 241 but only 162 are on my Kindle. Now, it's true I did delete a small handful, couldn't have been more than a half dozen or so. I looked a couple of pages and found one book that doesn't show a Kindle version. I guess it's no longer available so it was removed from my device. But I found another couple that still show Kindle versions available, but they are no longer on my Kindle. I'm kind of bummed. I'm not going to check all 241 books to see which ones aren't on my device though. I just wonder what I'm missing.

No, the cloud shows up on my Kindle Fire. Every book in my cloud is available at my fingertips on my Fire. And we're talking about a difference of 79 books. I actually went to the 'manage my content' and counted them. That's why I know there are 162 in my cloud. Then I went to the 'digital orders' page and added up how many orders I've had each year since I got my Kindle. That total is 241.

There is some way to save the books in a non Kindle format. I don't think Amazon can get at the then.

I hope whoever knows how to this will post.

I am thinking that, when my kids are older and have their own accounts/credit cards, I would like them to keep the books I bought for them. Also, my understanding is that, when someone dies, their account dies and their purchases disappear. You cannot 'leave' books/music to your heirs. I hope I am wrong.

There was a case a few years ago of someone in Denmark who had all her book removed by Amdazon.

Fwiw, I am not quite as paranoid as this post sounds, lol.

I have "bought" over 500 Kindle books (most were free).  There are exactly six missing from my Kindle/cloud.  I deleted four so the digital order is there, but the book is gone.  Two were overdrive "orders" that of course expired.  I don't know why some of yours are missing.  That's just weird.

You do not own Kindle content; you lease Kindle content. That means, depending on the leasing agreement Amazon has with the owners/publishers of the content it may or may not be available to you in the future. Amazon generally assumes it will be, but if you read your Kindle agreement you will see they make no claims that it will. 

By owning a Kindle, you are purchasing convenient disposable information. You do not have any control over the permanent availability of that content. And if you break any of Amazon's content rules or they think you are breaking their content rules, they are within their legal right to close your account and remove all of your purchased content. 

Welcome to the exciting world of digital rights management. Information is so plentiful no one assumes anything is forever. What's more important is getting paid for new content before interest in it wanes. Long term storage or porting of information into new technologies has low interest (unless money can be made to save or port that content). Just like our parents who bought the same album on record, 8-track, tape, and CD, e-books will need to be updated with every leap in technology. Digital content is not formulated for the long term. 

BTW, I'm not saying that is what this is. Just sayin'. ;)

You do not own Kindle content; you lease Kindle content. That means, depending on the leasing agreement Amazon has with the owners/publishers of the content it may or may not be available to you in the future. Amazon generally assumes it will be, but if you read your Kindle agreement you will see they make no claims that it will. 

By owning a Kindle, you are purchasing convenient disposable information. You do not have any control over the permanent availability of that content. And if you break any of Amazon's content rules or they think you are breaking their content rules, they are within their legal right to close your account and remove all of your purchased content. 

Welcome to the exciting world of digital rights management. Information is so plentiful no one assumes anything is forever. What's more important is getting paid for new content before interest in it wanes. Long term storage or porting of information into new technologies has low interest (unless money can be made to save or port that content). Just like our parents who bought the same album on record, 8-track, tape, and CD, e-books will need to be updated with every leap in technology. Digital content is not formulated for the long term. 

DRM is why I will never, ever feel any sympathy for those complaining about piracy.    

And this is why, whenever I purchase an ebook, I save a copy of the file from which I've removed the DRM.  Good luck deleting that, Amazon.

Might "digital orders" include music and TV/movies, which Amazon also sells?

Would it count prime tv shows I watched for free? I guess I'll just go through each year and see what's on there. The first book I found is one I don't even remember reading. I'll go do some more research. It will give me something to do today.

A quick cursory glance shows me lots of apps, some of which I don't remember, and music I don't remember. I've got bands i've never heard before. I just checked my Kindle and there are about 10 albums on it. I never listen to music on the Kindle so I didn't even know they were there. Some are albums I have on cd, I don't even have them on my ipod. Maybe I just have a very poor memory, or maybe I'm buying stuff in the middle of the night while I'm asleep. I don't know. This just gets weirder. Oh well. I still love my Kindle. I have no idea how to save Kindle books to another format. I don't even know how to access them as files. I've still got all the books that are important to me. There are many that were just 'meh' that I don't care about.

A quick cursory glance shows me lots of apps, some of which I don't remember, and music I don't remember. I've got bands i've never heard before. I just checked my Kindle and there are about 10 albums on it. I never listen to music on the Kindle so I didn't even know they were there. Some are albums I have on cd, I don't even have them on my ipod. Maybe I just have a very poor memory, or maybe I'm buying stuff in the middle of the night while I'm asleep. I don't know. This just gets weirder. Oh well. I still love my Kindle. I have no idea how to save Kindle books to another format. I don't even know how to access them as files. I've still got all the books that are important to me. There are many that were just 'meh' that I don't care about.

With the music thing if you have ever purchased a physical music CD some qualify to be automatically added to your list as well.  Also, in the beginning they did give people some free content. 

I do the same thing, I despise DRM.  Keep them all in Calibre to store and put things on my Kindle as I choose.

It's nice to be able to convert them to epub when I want to read on my Nook, too. I'm not paying for a book twice just to be able to read it on two different devices.