Menu

I need food inspiration. Join me? Find one random thing in the back of fridge/freezer/pantry and make something

momee

Last night I made tacos and burritos. I used a bag of frozen pepper strips, onions, pinto beans, and chopped, leftover oven fries for the filling. I tossed in a jar of mushrooms and a jar of pepperoncini. I used packaged seasoning and sauce.

It was pretty good, except I should have left out the pepperoncini. That was a little weird.

Well, it's grilled chicken breasts for me. One plain, one with BBQ sauce. The crisper drawer overflows with lettuce and veggies that aren't getting any fresher....so it's big salad tonight with grilled chicken.

Now that we've mentioned artichoke hearts, I'm hungry for some yummy dip...

I started doing this 3 weeks ago. I think I'm through all the older cans except the generic canned chickpeas. No one is too excited about them (and no one likes hummus). I'll probably roast them this week with salt and paprika. 

Those garbanzo beans?  Seriously, try this.  I've made it for a couple of years.  My kids (older teens) continue to be fascinated by it.  I wouldn't tell them what was in it until after they ate it the first time though.  When you think about it, garbanzo beans, as long as they are rinsed well, don't taste like much of anything and take on the flavor of whatever it's mixed with.

It doesn't get too much healthier than this!

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/05/31/deep-dish-cookie-pie/

Those garbanzo beans? Seriously, try this. I've made it for a couple of years. My kids (older teens) continue to be fascinated by it. I wouldn't tell them what was in it until after they ate it the first time though. When you think about it, garbanzo beans, as long as they are rinsed well, don't taste like much of anything and take on the flavor of whatever it's mixed with.

Looks so good! Must try!

I started doing this 3 weeks ago. I think I'm through all the older cans except the generic canned chickpeas. No one is too excited about them (and no one likes hummus). I'll probably roast them this week with salt and paprika. 

Sounds interesting.  Can you share a recipe or instructions, please?  I've never roasted any bean before....

Those garbanzo beans?  Seriously, try this.  I've made it for a couple of years.  My kids (older teens) continue to be fascinated by it.  I wouldn't tell them what was in it until after they ate it the first time though.  When you think about it, garbanzo beans, as long as they are rinsed well, don't taste like much of anything and take on the flavor of whatever it's mixed with.

Hmm, might have to play with this one!  I have a friend who can't have any grains, so I need to figure out a way to do without the oatmeal....

Lately I've been on a ramen noodle soup kick.

• Saute a clove of garlic in sesame oil, add whatever veggies are in the fridge at the moment (today it was carrots, cremini mushrooms and radishes), saute.
  • Add some green stuff like kale, bok choi etc
  • Add some soy sauce, sirarcha (sp?), ginger juice.
  • Add a few cups of veg stock and bring to boil
  • Add ramen and cook for 5 minutes
  • Add lots of chopped cilantro and green onions before serving

It was lentils for us. Stuck them in the rice cooker with an equal amount of rice, put chicken in the steamer above and set it on the timer. Perfect! No need to look in the kitchen 'til 5:15, right? Except that I forgot to CLOSE THE RICE COOKER LID! Ugh. Beats head against refrigerator.

The rice and lentils were mostly cooked (the chicken must have kept some of the moisture and heat in) and I cooked the chicken in a pan. Add a plain lettuce salad and you have a very grumpy dinner.

Ooh, that looks good. I'll have to try it out on the family. Mwa-ha-ha!

Hmm, might have to play with this one!  I have a friend who can't have any grains, so I need to figure out a way to do without the oatmeal....

Perhaps potato starch?

Necessity demands cooking out of just the pantry for the next two weeks.  

Feeding five with 3 chicken breast and just what's in the pantry/frig...

Tuscan Chicken w Couscous  

Chicken, chicken broth, white wine ( or not ), capers, sun dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, olives, a bit of balsamic, served over couscous. Garnished with sliced apricots and parsley.