Menu

What Music do you listen to when you are feeling

Jean in Newcastle

If  I want to wallow in it, something atmospherical and moody.  The Pride and Prejudice sound track has some lovely, haunting pieces.  If I want to snap out of it, I have my iPod full of really upbeat pop/rock/disco/hip hop music I use for jogging or house cleaning that often snaps me right out of a funk.

Hm. I think if I'm feeling down or lonely, then I don't tend to listen to music that will keep me feeling down...or at least not only listen to music. I will watch a movie, exercise, listen to an audio book, read, take a hot bath, buy a new book, talk to a friend on the phone, invite a friend out somewhere and/or some combination of those things. But, I'm a snap out of it kind of girl instead of a thinking about my feelings kind of girl. It's okay if you're not. <3

It's no one thing for me. It depends on what I'm into at the moment. However, when I need to cheer up, I lean toward loud music that is probably completely inappropriate for the middle-aged mom I am. 

I am especially partial to soundtracks from rock musicals. My current favorite is Hedwig and the Angry Inch. For a while before that, it was Bloody, Bloody Andrew Jackson. Prior to that, I went through a long American Idiot phase.

But before you hit iTunes and start downloading, please note that I am not recommending any of the above to anyone and that I did use the phrase "completely inappropriate" to describe them, generally. I'm just sharing, since you asked, what works for me.

Anything about Andrew Jackson would just make me angry. LOL

Well, the show isn't exactly a complimentary (or historically accurate) portrait.

I do find myself humming the songs quite a bit, though, when I end up doing a tutoring session about that period of U.S. history. 

Of course, I also ended up humming "The Origin of Love" from Hedwig a couple of weeks ago when a student needed help deciding on a thesis statement for an essay about Plato's Symposium. So, clearly I'm just unnaturally tuned in to rock musicals.

Something upbeat and Christian. It varies, but I have a couple of stations on the radio I tune into. But I have to feel my feelings all the way thru before I can feel better--going around them doesn't work for me. So I do listen to sad and "profound" music if I'm sad.

However, if it's over something old that is in the past and I am trying to let it go, then I literally tell myself to stop my thoughts, and picture myself giving it to God. I can't listen to sad music when I know it isn't something in which I should wallow--I had years of that, driving around crying my heart out between dog walks!

O.A.R.- (especially The Element, Taking on the World Today, & Favorite Song)

Barenaked Ladies- (Odds Are & Big Bang Theory Theme)

Josh Radin- (Tomorrow is Gonna be Better & Brand New Day)

Michael Franti- (The Sound of Sunshine)

NEEDTOBREATHE- (Slumber, Keep Your Eyes Open, & Something Beautiful)

Steve Moakler- (Today)

Kris Allen- (Better With You, My Weakness, Turn the Pages, & Fighters)

And pretty much anything by Matt Kearney or P!nk.

I have a playlist called Peace Peace Peace. I find that a mix of upbeat and mellow favorites, with a few angry/sad songs seems to work for me. The angry/sad give me some catharsis, but they're carefully seeded throughout the mix so I don't overdo it. 

One of the songs is "Hell No, I Ain't Happy" 

Artists: 

Al Green

Fleet Foxes

Gillian Welch

Nick Lowe

Alexi Murdoch

Great Lakes Swimmers

The Kinks 

The Band

Stevie Wonder

Wilco