Menu

reconstructing a fall wardrobe

Seasider

Kiddo has an independent math assignment and then some composition to work on, so I have some web cruising time this morning. My fall clothes really all need to be tossed and my wardrobe started from scratch. FWIW, I really hate to have to buy non-warm-weather clothing and I hope to make this process as pain free as possible. I would like to collect a few images so I can then try to recreate a look via thrift and discount store shopping. I do not need heavy duty winter stuff, I will never wear a wool turtleneck. I do need some casual-to-nice stylish outfits to carry me through the cooler weather. My stuff is old and dates me - a consequence of hating to shop for winter clothes!

Do you have a site you love for fashion ideas? I need specific sites; that is, please don't just say pinterest. That is a black hole to me! If you would be so kind, I would appreciate a link to a specific board, iykwim.

Also, I may resort to doing some online ordering. I would love to hear what online stores you love that have reasonably priced clothing and rational return policies. I remember a few years when my kids were all little and I never got out of the house to shop - I ordered practical stuff from Sears and JCP. I could jazz it up with accessories, and I didn't have to leave the house. I don't think I'd mind one day out but with the decline of malls, shopping means getting in and out of the car all day. I swear, a Saturday shopping trip often means spending more time in transit than actually looking at clothes. But I digress... 

Also, I think it would help me to have a list of essential, must-have basics (ie, one crisp white shirt, one pair black boots, that kind of thing). If there is a specific item or two that you couldn't live without, please say what it is and help me make a list for myself.

Thanks for helping me out!

I'm not a great shopper myself but like you came to the realization I need to upgrade my look for fall. On a whim I walked into a Loft store, lured by a 40% off everything sign.

Much to my surprise, I found a number of basic items that I felt could easily be mixed and matched to form a decent wardrobe for fall. I got a few nice blouses that could be either dressy or casual depending on what they are paired with, as well as some camisoles/tanks that will look decent under cardigans with a chunky necklace or scarf. Again, switching between jeans or dress pants/heels for the bottoms will allow these to work for just about any occasion.

A couple of pieces I got:

http://www.loft.com/textural-front-cardigan/333477?colorExplode=false&skuId=16984578&catid=catl000012&productPageType=fullPriceProducts&defaultColor=7301 (in gray)

http://www.loft.com/floral-vine-bow-neck-shell/348429?colorExplode=false&skuId=17311663&catid=catl000011&productPageType=fullPriceProducts&defaultColor=6600 (this one looks better in person than it does online)

http://www.loft.com/rain-dot-tie-neck-blouse/347140?colorExplode=false&skuId=17148320&catid=catl000011&productPageType=fullPriceProducts&defaultColor=5539

http://www.loft.com/striped-floral-scarf/351111?colorExplode=true&skuId=16871953&catid=catl000025&productPageType=fullPriceProducts&defaultColor=9569

I love these 2 blogs:

http://getyourprettyon.com/

http://pinteresttoldmeto.blogspot.com/

They have really helped me pull together outfits and get out of my T-shirt/jeans rut! I love LOFT for my jeans. I also love Nordstrom...I hadn't really considered them before reading Pinterest Told Me To. They have great sales, a generous return policy, and shipping is free (to you AND on returns!) I also do a lot of Target, Old Navy, and some JCP.

ETA: Get Your Pretty On has a Fall Style Challenge starting Monday. I think it's too late to join (you pay a small fee, get a shopping list of basic pieces, then she sends you a combo everyday for 21 days.) You can get an idea of combos by following the hashtag #GYPOStyleMe on Instagram.

Here's another blog to try: You Look Fab  It also has forums where you can post pictures and get advice. I find it very helpful for figuring out which key pieces will help me look more updated for fall. I used to know this stuff automatically, but I don't read fashion mags like my 20-year-old self did, and this blog helps fill in the gaps!

Polyvore.com can be a black hole, but it can also be a quick way to find exactly what you want for cheap AND to create those combination looks you see on pinterest.

What I like best:  click the shop drop down menu, chose the subcategory you want, filter by price and color, and explore to your heart's content.  They even have thrift store stuff like Threadup.com and cheap import sites like 6pm.com.  It's fantastic.

When you find stuff you love you can combine it in a collage, save it on pinterest, and access it using your smartphone while you're shopping.

Here's another blog to try: You Look Fab  It also has forums where you can post pictures and get advice. I find it very helpful for figuring out which key pieces will help me look more updated for fall. I used to know this stuff automatically, but I don't read fashion mags like my 20-year-old self did, and this blog helps fill in the gaps!

Seconding YouLookFab 

Today's blog post there is Mom on the Go capsules. You can get some terrific inspiration with both the blog and the forums.

For me, fall fashion has to be flexible. It was 99 degrees here on Tuesday, but tomorrow's high won't be but the upper 60s. I like layers...Great comfy jeans, shirts or tops that flatter my figure (harder and harder to do. Sigh) Maybe a topper--a cardigan, or a shirt left open with a shell or cami beneath. A good jacket--splurge a little there and get something that feels great.

Adding polish with good shoes, purse, and jewelry is a good touch.

I just had to do something similar but live in an area with NO clothing stores so it all had to be online.  I rediscovered www.modcloth.com.   There is such a nice range of subtle (my style) and crazy (something I should have a little more of).  The return policies are good.  I did have to return a few items and all was good.

I just wish they did girls' clothing too.

Hang on...what's your body type?  That makes a difference.  Some clothes look ridiculous on certain body types.

If it works for you, button down shirts and jackets can look really good and aren't too hot to wear if you don't like feeling stuffed into cold-weather clothes.  Jackets can be from jean-jacket-casual all the way to CEO-business-suit-formal.   Button downs can be flannel-casual all the way to silk-formal.  There's a lot of leeway and jackets tend to hide problem areas for many women.  You may have to play with different lengths.  

Don't know about you, but we have a Community Aid near us with a huge rack of jackets.  Maybe you have something like that, too.  Do note: you may have to try on 40 to find 1 or 2 that you like or fit properly.  But once you get a nice jacket, it is very versatile and can be worn with many things.

Thanks everyone! My morning "free" time got torpedoed by an unexpected call, but I did get to scan a few things y'all linked. Wonderful stuff! I am out and on my phone now, I look forward to spending time this weekend browsing the sites. Garga, I am aware of what styles are most flattering and I have learned (the hard way!!!) which cuts to avoid!

My staples for Fall into Winter:

2 pairs flat, short leather boots (kind of look similar to these) -- one pair in black, one in brown

dark jeans (love my JJill ones  -- super soft & comfy!)

scarves, especially an infinity scarf or two (I have one of these & love it)

sweaters in a variety of knits & weights

tees & a turtleneck or two that I wear under sweaters

I also have a casual jacket that is the style of a jean jacket, but in corduroy

I buy from all sorts of places.

I don't have a specific site to recommend for ideas, per se (I'm one who gets a lot from pinterest, but I don't have a specific board to link you to, unless you want to look at mine.  I'm no fashionista, but it's all ideas I've gotten elsewhere and it's pretty representative of the way I dress on a regular basis.)

I just ordered some stuff from Victoria's Secret.  I got this shirt in the fire coral color and loved it so much I went back and ordered more colors lol.  It's lightweight, comfortable, and really flattering for me.  I don't love all of VS's clothes - most of them are actually not really my style - but there are usually at least a few things I can use and mix with other things to make it more my thing.

One thing that I do -- when I'm out shopping for fun, if there's something my size that's a good price that I don't hate (print/color), I'll go ahead and try it on to see what it looks like on.  Sometimes things that I think look weird on the rack actually look good on.  Obviously, if I really hate the color or print, not so much - but if it's about cut or something, it's better to see it on before definitely saying 'no way'.  :)

I did a search for fall wardrobe basics on Pinterest. 

My fall wardrobe came mostly from thrift stores or Vera Wang brand from Kohls. I have charcoal and olive skinny leg pants. I use these a lot with boots. I found a longer flannel shirt and a cable knit off-white sweater it's Chaps brand. 

I also found Talbot trouser jeans at the thrift store. 

I have black tall boots (Target) and brown short military type (TJ Maxx)  boots. My favorite shoes for fall are Palladium boots - casual, but not quite a tennis shoe. They are so comfortable. 

As far as colors, I stick to grey, olive, black & denim for pants. For shirts the same, adding burgundy and a light blue. Aside from a few patterned pieces, most can go with any other piece.