Menu

Sight words!

Jessiepage

Are you wanting to use sight words?  There are many systems that use sight words in the ps system.  I am sorry I can't give a name.  Someone else may be able to.

FWIW, most people I have seen posting here, though, prefer to have at least some solid phonics since sight word memorization can be very inefficient in the long run for reading and spelling.

I am not in favor of entirely depending on sight words, however not including a few made for a very stilted and artificial reading experience that was very frustrating for my child. I did my own combo, using selected very high frequency sight words that, while decodable, are not usually introduced early in phonics instruction. We used Explode the Code for phonics (and, once she was reading well, spelling until we finished the series), but I wanted to include some very high frequency words early on that ETC didn't introduce until much later (words like "mother, father, said, the") to make reading a little more natural and interesting. I bought a pack of Dolch sight word cards from Walmart (I think they were just labeled "sight words") and we played a game with them. I would show her the card and if she could read it, it went in her pile. If not, it went in mine. You could certainly make up your own cards from lists readily available on the internet. We progressed to leveled readers from the library, including Dick and Jane (which really helped her confidence and fluency).

We have a solid phonics program. I am just wanting to know what homeschool curriculum incorporates sight words/ high frequency words into their lessons as well, with the phonics.

If you can get a list of the Dolch site words, then like KarenNC said you could create your own site word flash cards/program.  And there are leveled readers out there based on that so if you look up Dolch and leveled readers you might be able to find something...

Hooked on Phonics.

I do make sure to sound the word out phonetically for my child when teaching sight words. She's currently working on "see", "like", and "to", among others. So when I run the flashcards, I will say that ee together makes a long e sound, the e makes the i say its name, and that o with nothing after it says /oo/. I'm not holding her responsible for the more advanced phonics at this point, but I want her to hear them in conjunction with the sight word.

I use Ladybird Peter and Jane series (Ladybird Key Words Reading Scheme) to introduce sight words early on since they use the most frequent words (book one teaches the 12 words that apparently make up 25% of all children's normal reading - the series teaches 300 common sight words, but my children are sounding out any unknown words by about book 4 or 5 - this series does teach some phonics in the c series, but it is not enough which is why I use OPGTR) and then at the same time teach phonics with OPGTR (the word lists only for sounding out) and then use many normal books where I again point out the phonics concepts that have been taught.

AAR does. It would be hard to imagine a program that didn't include sight words. Words like "said" which are true sight words are pretty indispensable...and most of the words on high frequency lists like the Dolch Sight Words list are fully decodable. Maybe you are wondering which programs give you extra practice so that a student develops fluency with either high frequency words or with words that are difficult to sound out? AAR includes lots of fluency through activities, fluency pages, readers, and word cards that allow you to track which words need practice and customize the review. 

I have been a volunteer literacy tutor for 20 years and have remediated hundreds of children who have problems reading from too many sight words, here is how and why to teach all but 5 of the 220 Dolch words phonetically:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/sightwords.html

A good phonics program will eventually teach all the sound spelling patterns, which includes all the words commonly taught as sight words in schools. 

1+1+1=1 has a free sight word program with printables and games teaching 72 "sight" words.

I've never used it, because I've always been of the opinion that if a child is not ready to phonetically blend it, at, can, mom and dad (all words taught in the first four lessons) then the child's time would be better spend on phonemic awareness activities rather than memorizing individual words.

Wendy

One thing I like about Rod & Staff for my struggling reader is that it used some sight words in their reading program to get the kid reading confidently. The stories are more interesting that way. I go over the "sight words" in a phonetic way, but they sometimes use phonics not yet learned, and I'm ok with that.

My child has gone from dreading reading and really struggling with it to enjoying reading and progressing quite quickly. He's still getting thorough phonics (we use both the phonics and reading programs from R&S), but he's also able to read some real books because he's gone a little ahead of what he knows phonetically. He's not ready to do phonics quite that fast (Spalding and LOE just confused him). This combo is working very well for him.

• 2 months later...

Elizabeth, Thank you for posting that link. I was looking for something, anything really, for my daughter and found the Toe-by-Toe and that looks like what we need! 

I have been a volunteer literacy tutor for 20 years and have remediated hundreds of children who have problems reading from too many sight words, here is how and why to teach all but 5 of the 220 Dolch words phonetically:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/sightwords.html

A good phonics program will eventually teach all the sound spelling patterns, which includes all the words commonly taught as sight words in schools. 

Hooked on Phonics does, but I'm not sure I would recommend it. We used it, but I wish I would have found this board before selecting it.

DD loved this game. I pulled a selection of words to work on at one time. (I actually aligned them with HOP.)

41tc6y1fxxL._AA160_.jpg

This resource book was another big hit. Again, I aligned the words with HOP. We took two days per booklet, I think. DD was quite young when we used it. She did well with it. Carson-Dellosa has other fun sight word resource books as well.

804038.jpg

http://www.carsondellosa.com/products/804038__The-Best-Sight-Word-Book-Ever-Resource-Book-804038#/?book media type=f389e45b92884d48844baaf09d49e3c5

ETA: We also used these. There's a whole series of them. I thought them boring, but DD liked them. I don't know whether they helped or not. Hard to know when we used so many different resources. (I thought I was prepping DD for public school, but we kept her home in the end.)

51N08Yb3I3L._AA160_.jpg

One thing I like about Rod & Staff for my struggling reader is that it used some sight words in their reading program to get the kid reading confidently. The stories are more interesting that way. I go over the "sight words" in a phonetic way, but they sometimes use phonics not yet learned, and I'm ok with that.

My child has gone from dreading reading and really struggling with it to enjoying reading and progressing quite quickly. He's still getting thorough phonics (we use both the phonics and reading programs from R&S), but he's also able to read some real books because he's gone a little ahead of what he knows phonetically. He's not ready to do phonics quite that fast (Spalding and LOE just confused him). This combo is working very well for him.

This!  I thought my son (9) would never learn to read before we switched to Rod and Staff.  We were totally phonics, and it wasn't working.  I have since learned that my son struggles with dysphonetic dyslexia.  Had we continued on the phonics only road, I'm not sure he would have ever learned to read well.  He is still behind in reading but progressing well.  

Rod and Staff is very strong in phonics as well.  It has a different series of books just for phonics instructions.  The phonics is going slow for him, but he can decode words slowly now.  

The reading is purely based on sight words in the beginning, and assumes knowledge in phonics (from their program) as they progress.  Each day they have Sound words (using phonics already learned), Key words (based on prior words learned), and learn words (sight words.)

The nice thing for us is that because of the sight word approach, the reading curriculum ends up being above grade level.  This (so far) is allowing his reading level to progress at a faster rate than he would with some other programs.