Menu

Moving to Pennsylvania - Nervous about the HS Law Requirements

:scared:

I used to live in Delaware (very little reporting) and now live in the UK (no reporting at all), so I am very nervous about PA's strict hs laws.  I understand certain districts give homeschoolers a harder time than others.  We will be living in Chester County.  I would appreciate any and all advice I can get to make this transition easier!  Thank you!!

ETA - Information on local homeschooling co-ops and support groups would also be helpful.  :001_smile:

I'm sorry you feel alarmed. We started our homeschool journey in Pennsylvania, and yes, it is more paperwork for you to homeschool there. I know of an umbrella school but can't remember the name, so I will do some research and get back to you as soon as I can. We are having sick days here so I've got time today.

Chester County, isn't that near Philly? Oh, Creekland is also a PA homeschooler. Hopefully she'll chime in as well.

Our reviewer got the testing materials from a private Jewish school when it was time for our little group to do testing and the reviewer administered the tests at her home. I knew a woman who would have her kids skip the grades when they had to be tested, how she managed that year after year puzzles me. Our local vice principal of the school my son would have attended is the one we gave our portfolio to after the reviewer went over it and wrote her assessment.

ETA: I know PA doesn't allow umbrella schools for homeschoolers, but I know that there is one group that helps homeschoolers in the four states, MD, PA, VA and WVA.

Don't get too worried about it - it's really not that bad!  The askpauline.com site is wonderful!  I particularly appreciated all the portfolio samples she had on her site, it made making our first portfolio very simple.  

The paperwork boils down to a once-a-year kind of thing.  When I turn in the portfolio at the end of the school year, I file my paperwork for the next year.  Then I'm done for a whole year.  Way less overwhelming than I had anticipated.  

Don't get too worried about it - it's really not that bad!  The askpauline.com site is wonderful!  I particularly appreciated all the portfolio samples she had on her site, it made making our first portfolio very simple.  

The paperwork boils down to a once-a-year kind of thing.  When I turn in the portfolio at the end of the school year, I file my paperwork for the next year.  Then I'm done for a whole year.  Way less overwhelming than I had anticipated.  

Don't you have to keep track daily of what your child is doing in each subject? I had a chart and would check off which subjects were worked on each day. On that paper I also listed all of the books and projects we were doing; these were weekly charts. I kept track of what books my child read, listed field trips, etc. This is something that I put in our portfolio too because at that time, law required a daily log.

What helped me was to get the syllabus or outline from the school district to see what they were teaching in each subject for my son's grade level. The school freely shared that with me. I didn't stick to it precisely, but it helped me to know what I should be covering with my son.

Eh, it's not a big deal.  

Use the online CAT test for the testing requirements. There's some nonsense about needing a proctor to administer the tests to a kid unless you use an online test.  I think the logic is that the computer acts as the proctor?  Dunno.  It's an easy test and fulfills the testing hoop and you get the results right away. 

Everyone I know uses the askpauline.com website to get their ducks in a row.  Read through that carefully one afternoon, take notes and create a few of the required documents and you'll be good to go. Ask Pauline gives you examples you can copy.

I find the most irritating thing for me is creating a portfolio, but that's because it feels an awful lot like a scrapbook and I detest scrapbooking.  I call it my State Mandated Scrapbook and whine about it for days and days every June.

Yeah, there are a bunch of things to do, but they're not insurmountable in the slightest.  Don't let it bother you.  

I'm homeschooling my nephew who lives in PA, I'm in DE. The agreement was that my sister would handle all the PA paperwork because technically I'm just his tutor. She's in southern Chester county so I'll ask her how they are. She has dealt with it in the past because she homeschooled her other 2 for a bit. This will be her first year back to it.

Don't you have to keep track daily of what your child is doing in each subject? I had a chart and would check off which subjects were worked on each day. On that paper I also listed all of the books and projects we were doing; these were weekly charts. I kept track of what books my child read, listed field trips, etc. This is something that I put in our portfolio too because at that time, law required a daily log.

What helped me was to get the syllabus or outline from the school district to see what they were teaching in each subject for my son's grade level. The school freely shared that with me. I didn't stick to it precisely, but it helped me to know what I should be covering with my son.

Yup.  You do have to keep a "daily log."  No one really knows what this means.  A lot of people simply create a chart where they have 180 boxes and put the date in each box to show they did school that day.  

You also need a list of all the books you use.  Textbooks, living books, reading books, whatever.  

I created a list of all the books I use and numbered them.  

1.  All about spelling

2.  MathUSee, Prealgebra

3.  Five Children and It, Nesbit

etc.

On my daily log chart, I include the date AND the numbers of the books.

Day 30:  10/8/14:   Books  #1, 2, 3).  It wasn't too tricky.  You do have to keep up with it or it becomes a pain to try to fill it all in later. 

As far as field trips, you can save info (brochures, whatever) about them if you want to for the portfolio.  It's not law, but it makes the portfolio look more well-rounded. 

You don't need to use the syllabus from the school.  Askpauline.com will have the info (and in the state law itself, it's there) about which subjects are required to be taught.  You can choose what you want to teach within those requirements. It's a nice idea to ask the school if you want to, but you can use other sources to decide what to teach that year for each subject.  

Note:  From 1-6th grade, you need to teach the subjects listed at least ONCE in the 6 years.  You do NOT have to teach them all, all 6 years, except for fire safety.  That's the only thing you are required to teach every stinkin' year.  

Same thing goes from 7th-12th.  They list the subjects that must be touched on sometime during those 6 years, but you don't have to do each of them every year.  Except fire safety.  

Obviously, there are some subjects you'll naturally teach each year, like math, and some you won't like health.

No.  

The law requires

"a log,

made contemporaneously with the instruction,

which designates by title the reading materials used,"

Many families just provide a list of their reading materials, kept as they go through the year ("contemporaneously with the instruction"), simply adding the titles of new books on the first day they begin to use them.  

The law also requires that the portfolio + evaluation "demonstrate that appropriate education is occurring",

where "appropriate education" means:

"instruction in the required subjects 

for the time required in this act and 

in which the student demonstrates sustained progress in the overall program."

Many families use a simple 1-page calendar of the school year, with their 180 school days checked off, to show they have met the "for the time required in this act" requirement.  This removes the need for the log to speak to the 180 days, as they are clearly documented in the calendar.

Subjects and progress can be shown through a combination of samples of work, the list of reading materials, test scores, and the evaluation.  

Some people include a brief summary of what they've done in the required subjects - almost like a transcript - to address subjects and speak to progress, but this is not required.  People generally use it if they feel it will be easier to write little blurbs for each subject than trying to show subjects and progress through the work samples, etc.  Because fewer samples are usually needed to communicate subjects/progress if there is a transcript/summary, it can make for a slimmer portfolio, which makes it easier to create a "disposable portfolio" - basically a copy of the portfolio rather than turning in originals to the district.

You don't need a 3-inch binder to create a solid portfolio that clearly meets the requirements of the law.  I have seen quality portfolios that clearly contained everything required by law, yet were only a 1/4" thick stack of pages.

Garga wrote:

You don't need to use the syllabus from the school.  Askpauline.com will have the info (and in the state law itself, it's there) about which subjects are required to be taught.  You can choose what you want to teach within those requirements. It's a nice idea to ask the school if you want to, but you can use other sources to decide what to teach that year for each subject. 

Right. It was my first couple of years as a home school mom and I felt clueless at times and needed to know. This was right before I became familiar with The Well Trained Mind which clearly outlines grade by grade what subjects, materials and topics to cover. I am not familiar with the OP so I don't know if she has read WTM. Just sayin'. As a side note, I appreciate all the responses too because my evaluator was easy going at first, but started to get a little more picky when ds was in 4th grade.

I have yet to understand the fuss about PA's homeschooling laws.  We've never encountered problems at all and keeping track of things proved valuable for college apps.

Our school district provided the form we needed to have notarized saying we were homeschooling.

We came up with our subjects and listed them out with subjects/goals (really loose goals generally).

Since my boys were all 5th grade and up, THEY wrote down the texts and other books we used.  ALL books read went on a reading list (those for school and those for pleasure).

THEY checked off each school day on a calendar - numbering them.

I saved tests, photos of projects, and some writing samples for the annual portfolio.  THEY put their portfolios together (in later years they even selected what they wanted in it - work they were proud of).

I did find evaluators - both times these were also personal friends who also homeschooled their children (and had a teaching degree).  Their evaluations were quite fair and my kids, again, enjoyed showing off what they had learned.

We only had two visits to school annually for homeschooling.  One was to drop off the portfolio and pick up next year's notarized sheet.  The other was to pick up the portfolio and drop off the sheet and goals.

I simply do not consider any of that difficult to have done.

The book list and annual summary of what had been accomplished/grades (in the portfolio) made pulling things together for college apps a cinch!

I think the fuss with PA is that you can roll along for years with the school interpreting the law one way, and then a new person comes in and suddenly they make new demands that may be outside of the law.  It seems our SD has a change in the person who evaluates ports every 2-3 years, and yes, there are often hiccups when it happens.  It isn't insurmountable or a huge deal, but I say that as someone who feels confident in pushing back or lawyering up in an absolute worst case scenario.  I imagine that will never be necessary, but I feel secure that I follow the law, document adequately, and can push back as needed.  Some people find that very intimidating, and I can understand that, so I do get why PA has such a bad reputation.

I agree with PPs that it is mostly hoop jumping and creating a paper trail.  We file a notarized affidavit, submit medical forms or exemptions, submit objectives (which cannot be "approved" by the SD nor used against you if you don't meet them.  This is specified in the law). We keep a reading log, check off 180 days, I do NOT (and never would) give the SD what I do daily, even if I keep/kept that record for myself.  I would not tell them what curriculum we used on a given day.  At the end of the year we test if necessary (grades 3, 5, 8).  My evaluator offers the PIAT-r, and we've done that as I think it was nice for my anxious leaning oldest.  No bubble in, everything is verbal.  Many people use the CAT as a PP said.  I take my port to my lovely evaluator, she looks through it, talks to my kid (not in quiz format, but just things like "What was your favorite subject this year?  Why?  What were some of your favorite books this year?"  Very nonthreatening :) ), and then generates a letter stating we are demonstrating adequate progress.  If it is a testing year, the test results go in there.  I mail my port to my SD, RRR and certified.  I prefer that as I don't really enjoy interacting with the SD, but most people drop it off in person.  My SD has made silly demands in the past about formatting, size of binder, etc. so I don't bother going in person, and then they can't make those ridiculous requests.   I include my objectives for next year separate from the port.  I get a letter from my SD when I can can pick up my port, and it states I've met the requirements for a home education program .  They don't comment in my port in any way. Oh, and we always include documentation of fire safety, as that's a subject PA insists must be taught annually.  So I print some stuff off the web with respect to emergency escape routes, stop drop and roll, whatever, and stick that in there.

Once you go through the process once, it isn't a big deal, but it is a nuisance for sure.  Most SDs are fine, and most problems can be resolved by simply pushing back if you are confident that you are within your rights.  Ask them to cite where the law says you must do X, Y, or Z if you must.  But most of the time things can be worked out, and many SDs are not difficult to work with.  Seasoned HSers will help walk you through the process, because everyone understands the first time it seems intimidating.  There are lists of evaluators, and it is pretty easy to find someone who aligns with your needs and style of HSing.

Best of luck!

Chiming in to say that we're in Pa-- homeschooling since 2007-- and have never had a problem with our school district. Knowing the law came in handy for me though, when I once had a disagreement with the notary over my affidavit.

We do have a set of requirements for the beginning of the year and a set for the end. I usually take it all to the district office at once.

I think I used askpauline for everything: learning the law and examples of what to turn in. I keep the forms all generic and broad so I only have to tweak them each year. My portfolio is made of photocopies and is meant to be a sample of our work. No way do I give the school a binder; they get a manilla folder, and it's thin. For our log, I make a chart that lists only the # of the school day and the books we used for instruction and enrichment. They don't have to know that the boys have read every Garfield and Hardy Boys book they can scrounge up.

The law does mean a few days of research and run-around, but it hasn't put a damper on our home school experience, and I trust once you're familiar with the steps, it won't bother you either.

Best wishes to your family!

I do NOT (and never would) give the SD what I do daily, even if I keep/kept that record for myself.  I would not tell them what curriculum we used on a given day.  

:iagree:   I don't tell them which curriculum we use at all, aside from listing library-type reading materials in the log.  We are not required to use commercially created curricula, and I don't want to feed the idea that it's necessary.  Most of my kids' samples have been brief written pieces on various topics, which show grammar, spelling, and writing skills, along with the history/science/literature content of the piece.  But then I'm contrary that way.  If you over-comply, you not only set up expectations for the next homeschooler, but you set them up for yourself in subsequent years.  Read the law.  Comply with what you feel it requires.  Keep it simple.  :-)

Eh, it's not a big deal.  

Use the online CAT test for the testing requirements. There's some nonsense about needing a proctor to administer the tests to a kid unless you use an online test.  I think the logic is that the computer acts as the proctor?  Dunno.  It's an easy test and fulfills the testing hoop and you get the results right away. 

Good to know about the online CAT test.  Thank you!

No.  

The law requires

"a log,

made contemporaneously with the instruction,

which designates by title the reading materials used,"

Many families just provide a list of their reading materials, kept as they go through the year ("contemporaneously with the instruction"), simply adding the titles of new books on the first day they begin to use them.  

The law also requires that the portfolio + evaluation "demonstrate that appropriate education is occurring",

where "appropriate education" means:

"instruction in the required subjects 

for the time required in this act and 

in which the student demonstrates sustained progress in the overall program."

Many families use a simple 1-page calendar of the school year, with their 180 school days checked off, to show they have met the "for the time required in this act" requirement.  This removes the need for the log to speak to the 180 days, as they are clearly documented in the calendar.

Subjects and progress can be shown through a combination of samples of work, the list of reading materials, test scores, and the evaluation.  

Some people include a brief summary of what they've done in the required subjects - almost like a transcript - to address subjects and speak to progress, but this is not required.  People generally use it if they feel it will be easier to write little blurbs for each subject than trying to show subjects and progress through the work samples, etc.  Because fewer samples are usually needed to communicate subjects/progress if there is a transcript/summary, it can make for a slimmer portfolio, which makes it easier to create a "disposable portfolio" - basically a copy of the portfolio rather than turning in originals to the district.

You don't need a 3-inch binder to create a solid portfolio that clearly meets the requirements of the law.  I have seen quality portfolios that clearly contained everything required by law, yet were only a 1/4" thick stack of pages.

I have been in the habit of logging on a spreadsheet every book my dc read each school year anyway.  I also keep samples of their work and file them in a yearly folder or notebook just for my own paper trail.  An attendance record is no big deal.  I guess it's just the fact that I have to teach certain subjects and "demonstrate that appropriate education is occurring" that makes me nervous.  Having an evaluator look through our work and interview my children seems so intrusive.  I agree that the added paperwork isn't that big a deal.  It's just that some school superintendents seem to like to give homeschoolers a hard time.  

I have yet to understand the fuss about PA's homeschooling laws.  We've never encountered problems at all and keeping track of things proved valuable for college apps.

It's not complying with PA laws that worries me.  It's the horror stories I hear of SIs giving homeschoolers a hard time.

I did find evaluators - both times these were also personal friends who also homeschooled  and pick up next year's notarized sheet.  The other was to pick up the portfolio and drop off the sheet and goals.

And this.  I don't know where or how to find an evaluator.

I simply do not consider any of that difficult to have done.

It's not difficult, but it is a big deal when you're not used to having to do any reporting.

The book list and annual summary of what had been accomplished/grades (in the portfolio) made pulling things together for college apps a cinch!

Good to know!  We'll be there in another year.

I think the fuss with PA is that you can roll along for years with the school interpreting the law one way, and then a new person comes in and suddenly they make new demands that may be outside of the law.  It seems our SD has a change in the person who evaluates ports every 2-3 years, and yes, there are often hiccups when it happens.  It isn't insurmountable or a huge deal, but I say that as someone who feels confident in pushing back or lawyering up in an absolute worst case scenario.  I imagine that will never be necessary, but I feel secure that I follow the law, document adequately, and can push back as needed.  Some people find that very intimidating, and I can understand that, so I do get why PA has such a bad reputation.

Exactly!  I don't like confrontation.  I hope I feel confident enough to push back if I'm pressed for more than the law requires.

Best of luck!

Thank you!

Chiming in to say that we're in Pa-- homeschooling since 2007-- and have never had a problem with our school district. Knowing the law came in handy for me though, when I once had a disagreement with the notary over my affidavit.

We do have a set of requirements for the beginning of the year and a set for the end. I usually take it all to the district office at once.

I think I used askpauline for everything: learning the law and examples of what to turn in. I keep the forms all generic and broad so I only have to tweak them each year. My portfolio is made of photocopies and is meant to be a sample of our work. No way do I give the school a binder; they get a manilla folder, and it's thin. For our log, I make a chart that lists only the # of the school day and the books we used for instruction and enrichment. They don't have to know that the boys have read every Garfield and Hardy Boys book they can scrounge up.

The law does mean a few days of research and run-around, but it hasn't put a damper on our home school experience, and I trust once you're familiar with the steps, it won't bother you either.

Best wishes to your family!

Thank you!  So glad to hear your school district is satisfied with a thin folder as apposed to a giant binder.

Thank you!  So glad to hear your school district is satisfied with a thin folder as apposed to a giant binder.

My portfolio, even for a high schooler, fits in a standard staple or large paperclip. I only ever turn in photocopies on ink-saver setting, double-sided, and if I screw up and print one side upside-down it goes in the portfolio that way.

I have been in the habit of logging on a spreadsheet every book my dc read each school year anyway.  I also keep samples of their work and file them in a yearly folder or notebook just for my own paper trail.  An attendance record is no big deal.  I guess it's just the fact that I have to teach certain subjects and "demonstrate that appropriate education is occurring" that makes me nervous.  Having an evaluator look through our work and interview my children seems so intrusive.  I agree that the added paperwork isn't that big a deal.  It's just that some school superintendents seem to like to give homeschoolers a hard time.  

SOme evaluators can be intrusive and expensive. There is a network that offeres free evaluations in apark setting on select days in May- PM me for details. ZERO stress.

"appropriate education" means for YOUR child- not what the school district thinks is appopriate for a typical whetever-grader to do.  And BTW, the parent determines the grade level of the student, and you can also have them "ungraded".

The affidavit only lists the child's age. You don't have to list a grade.

Some school districts do like to give homeschoolers a hard time. Gettysburg is a bear. They tried telling my friend a bunch of hooey when she was pulling her kid out last year. I showed her the law and the PA dept of education website for homeschoolers that clearly showed the school was wrong about what they asked her. She hates confrontation, like you, and she managed to live through it.

Gettysburg is known around here for being awful to homeschoolers, so yes, you can run into it. Just quiety hold your ground if your district is that way. Hopefully it's not. Hostile districts are usually the exception and not the norm.

It's not complying with PA laws that worries me.  It's the horror stories I hear of SIs giving homeschoolers a hard time.

This is quite rare to be honest.

And this.  I don't know where or how to find an evaluator.

If you find any homeschooling friends or join a co-op or do classes or anything - ask there.  You'll probably get a few names you can check out.  BTDT.

Good to know!  We'll be there in another year.

Note that PA allows homeschoolers to be eligible for PHEA college grants if you stick with their rules and get that final "all is well" letter from your district.

Some school districts do like to give homeschoolers a hard time. Gettysburg is a bear. They tried telling my friend a bunch of hooey when she was pulling her kid out last year. I showed her the law and the PA dept of education website for homeschoolers that clearly showed the school was wrong about what they asked her. She hates confrontation, like you, and she managed to live through it.

Gettysburg is known around here for being awful to homeschoolers, so yes, you can run into it. Just quiety hold your ground if your district is that way. Hopefully it's not. Hostile districts are usually the exception and not the norm.

Wow... when it comes to high school testing, come on over to Conewago - no fuss, no muss.  I'm not 100% sure you can do AP tests here though.  For that one they might require you live in the district since we only get them in for homeschoolers (our school doesn't offer them, but would get the tests if any kid self-studied, so now will get them for homeschoolers from our district).  Delone Catholic also allows homeschoolers to join them for AP testing.

Nah, as Garga and Creekland have said, it's really not that big of a deal.  My district sends me a form to use every year, but I don't use it, and they've never given me grief.  They're actually really sweet and leave my kids nice, encouraging notes in the portfolios.

This is how I do my portfolio (and I'd suggest going to a portfolio share/peek at some point; ours will be in early spring, before the big conferences, but we're probably a bit of a hike for Chester County, almost two hours):

-Online CAT in required years

-I submit a VERY vague set of objectives every year.  It's pretty much the same, although depending on the age of the child, I use either "improve handwriting skills" or "improve typing skills."  It says stuff like "explore topics of interest to the student" and "broaden student's knowledge of US, PA, and world history," blah blah blah.  They don't question it.  It never mentions the specific books we plan to use.

-I submit the required affidavit (and never my high school diploma; the law doesn't ask for that, just requires that I have one), notarized by my auto insurance company, and the medical paperwork (either records or religious/philosophical objection).

-I check days off on a calendar.  If we did anything that even remotely fits into a required subject, even if all we did was martial arts class or swimming, it's a school day and gets checked off.  Yes, we usually count more than 200 days.

-I keep track of the work my kids do because it's the work I want them to do.  Some of it looks like a school, and some of it doesn't.  The law's requirements have extremely little bearing on what I actually do with my kids.  The exception is stuff like fire safety and health; I generally prefer to approach those organically -- we talked about drugs, for instance, the other day when DS1 read about the Opium Wars, but we didn't have a specific drugs lesson, and I prefer fire safety discussion to happen when it actually makes sense, like when we're setting up the generator for emergency use, or when we're building a campfire.  But just to be on the safe side, I usually have a pamphlet or worksheet for the kids to fill out in a few minutes every year, just to prove we hit those things.  Google is great for this.

-I list every textbook, reference book, novel, or other book we use for school, or stuff they read on their own, plus magazines.  I count picture books only if we specifically used them for something, like history or science or art.  I don't count picture books that they read for fun otherwise.  But generally, if we even cracked it open, it gets listed.  I list audio books as well, if they are full readings of print books, and I count books DH or I read aloud (exceptions being books for the littles -- I read Paddington to my 5yo and 3yo, but I probably won't count those on my 12 and 9yo's lists).

-I separate my samples (about 3-5, from throughout the year) into six groups: Language Arts, Math, History/Geography, Science, Fine Arts, and Health/Safety/PE, and I write a short blurb about each of those groups, which I print on colored cardstock to make it look nice.  (The same color also gets used for the name/grade/year on the front and spine of the binder.)  This is nice to highlight that we explored grammar through Latin, or that we listened to X artist, or that DD taught herself to play piano using internet tutorials (although I did print off a couple of sheet music pages that she had used), etc. -- the stuff that doesn't translate easily onto paper.  In the past, I've had a file folder for each month of the year for each kid, and I've pulled from those, but this year, I made six folders for each of the two big kids, separated into those six groups, so that all the math work is together, etc.  Some people like to include portions of the law with their portfolios; I don't, but if my SD were grumpy like Gettysburg, I probably would.  Just read and reread the law and know it and stick to it.

-I collect brochures from field trips and use Picasa to make very quick and easy collages of pictures from experiments, projects, and field trips.  Page protectors work well.  Honestly, I know my portfolios are overkill, but they look so pretty, and they are really nice keepsakes of what we did.  I actually don't mind needing to do them for the state, because otherwise, it would probably just be low on my priority list and never get around to happening.  The kids enjoy looking through them, and I do like that we'll have them for college applications.  I spend about a day putting it all together each spring, and that's not too horrendous.

-I get the evaluation done and include the letter from my evaluator (I make a copy first).  Our support group offers a list of local evaluators, but askpauline.com has some too, I think, and so does CHAP.  

-I include a receipt that lists each required item to be turned in and each required item for the upcoming year, and I make the school district sign and date them upon receipt.

PA is actually a fabulous place to homeschool.  State parks are free, and the libraries rock, and you can't beat the hands-on history.  You can get a free membership to the Free Library of Philadelphia, which has tons of Kindle books to lend at no charge.  Over in the center of the state where I am, there are lots of co-ops and support groups and programs for homeschoolers and homeschool days at various places and whatnot.  My kids take martial arts at a dojang that offers classes during the day, for the homeschoolers, and I know there are other things like that too.  At least over here, the whole culture is really homeschool friendly.  Messiah College is not far from us, and from what I understand, they actually have a dedicated admissions counselor for the homeschoolers, which is pretty cool.  (Unlike my alma mater, Penn State, which needs to join the 21st century and realize that homeschoolers' documentation looks different, sigh.)  My kids like to take schoolwork to the local grocery store's cafe area and work while I shop; nobody ever bothers them or even blinks.

Chester County is very nice too, although I haven't homeschooled there.  We lived in Montgomery County for two years, and I worked for a real estate agent on the Main Line (Paoli, West Chester).  Lots of nice houses there!

Good luck, and please ask if I can offer any other help!

There are a ton of homeschoolers in Chester County, and a number of relaxed evaluators too. I can suggest someone if need be, but you're bound to find a few from networking once you get there. Read the link Rebel Yell gave upthread, for some wise words about choosing and using an evaluator. There should be nothing to worry about, especially if you are a WTM-ish mom. There are plenty of unschoolers in Chesco; if they can do it you can too.

I haven't heard of any serious issues with any Chesco school districts; I really wouldn't worry too much about that. Again, if you follow the law and you're educating your kid, and your documentation reflects that and doesn't raise any red flags, you are very unlikely to encounter anything you can't handle. When issues do arise, it's often because someone at the district (often a secretary) says something off the cuff without having a clue about the law. Don't forget the PA Dept of Ed has a home education liaison (a PP gave some info upthread); she can help if your district is clueless about the law, but you're unlikely to have any issues that would require her help.

Unschoolers and Others runs a nice roller skating event once a month; it's a good place to meet other hsing moms (and they are not all unschoolers). There are also several Yahoo groups for homeschoolers in the area. You might also want to subscribe to the Delaware County yahoo group, as there is a lot of overlap and it is a *huge* group. There are lots of homeschoolers in the area, most of whom are friendly and welcoming.

SOme evaluators can be intrusive and expensive. There is a network that offeres free evaluations in apark setting on select days in May- PM me for details. ZERO stress.

Rebel Yell, I don't know if the free park evals are that close to Chesco? The evaluators in Chesco seem for the most part pretty relaxed. There are enough decent ones to choose from. Lots of Chesco evaluators are hsing moms who happen to fit the criteria for doing evaluations. I don't hear much about negative experiences here; I know that can be different elsewhere. OP, remember that you can use ANYONE - neighbor, friend, relative - who meets the evaluator criteria to do your evaluations, even if they've never done one before.

-I submit a VERY vague set of objectives every year.  It's pretty much the same, although depending on the age of the child, I use either "improve handwriting skills" or "improve typing skills."  It says stuff like "explore topics of interest to the student" and "broaden student's knowledge of US, PA, and world history," blah blah blah.  They don't question it.  It never mentions the specific books we plan to use.

Like this idea!

-I get the evaluation done and include the letter from my evaluator (I make a copy first).  Our support group offers a list of local evaluators, but askpauline.com has some too, I think, and so does CHAP.  

Good to know!  I missed that info on askpauline

Good luck, and please ask if I can offer any other help!

Thank you!

Ha! Me, too! The guy was all confused because I brought a homemade form. He said, "But the school gives out a homeschool form. You need to get it from the school." I told him, "No, I really don't." He said, "So...you just want me to sign off on this saying that you are who you say you are?" Umm....that's the definition of having something notarized so yes, that was what I wanted. He shrugged, signed off on my affidavit and everything was fine.

My portfolio, even for a high schooler, fits in a standard staple or large paperclip. I only ever turn in photocopies on ink-saver setting, double-sided, and if I screw up and print one side upside-down it goes in the portfolio that way.

Oh, yeah, I've handed in upside-down pages!

• 2 months later...