Menu

PODS moving and storage

DawnM

Has anyone used them?  

Thoughts?

We are listing our house some time in the new year.  I will need to get about 50% of our stuff out to stage, which will mean storage.

We could just get a storage unit, but that will mean a lot of carting it there ourselves.

Questions:

How much are PODS?

Can you get to your stuff or is it in a facility you can't get to?

Dawn

We loved PODS, but you need to make sure you can park them where you are moving (we weren't allowed to have them at our condo association, and Big City has some archaic laws to make them hard to use).

We loved them because they meant our move was so much more smooth; no rushing to load a truck.

You can't get into them at a storage facility, but if you just leave it in your front yard or driveway, you can get in there whenever you want. Again, if you are in a condo, check the rules.

Thanks.

I know there would be no problem with the POD where we currently live, but when we put it on the market, I DO NOT want it in my driveway, so it will need to go to their storage facility and I will want access to my stuff.

Sounds like it will most likely still be better for us to get a storage unit and take our stuff there ourselves.

We are moving locally.

Dawn

We moved about twenty miles with a POD three years ago. Four weeks of renting it came to about $400. It was SOOO much nicer than renting a U-Haul truck. Every night for two weeks we each carried a few boxes out to the pod and the day before the move, friends helped with loading the furniture. I can't tell you how much less stressful it was than trying to do it in one day with a truck.

we may need it for 3 months or longer.

Sounds like that might be $1,200 or more.

We have a trailer to hook up to our SUV, so we won't need to do it all in one day or rent a truck.  

It still would be far more convenient to get a POD, but it sounds like a storage unit for $150 per month would save a lot of money.

We moved about twenty miles with a POD three years ago. Four weeks of renting it came to about $400. It was SOOO much nicer than renting a U-Haul truck. Every night for two weeks we each carried a few boxes out to the pod and the day before the move, friends helped with loading the furniture. I can't tell you how much less stressful it was than trying to do it in one day with a truck.

We used one when we were remodeling and had to empty the first floor of our house. We just left it in our driveway, though. The price was very reasonable. 

I do remember that if they store it for you and you need to get to it, there is a fee associated with it. They will have to pull it out of the warehouse for you, so you'll need to plan ahead. 

Buy your own lock  - they sell some but they are expensive. We used a simple combination lock from Target. We might have chosen something different if we had been storing it, I don't know. 

Ah, I hadn't thought of that.

We do need to empty out our 2nd floor to put in new carpet, but our plan was to put most of it in storage and just leave the essentials (mattresses for the floor and a small dresser per room) and put those downstairs for the day or two we needed for re-carpeting.

Hmmmmm.......

We used one when we were remodeling and had to empty the first floor of our house. We just left it in our driveway, though. The price was very reasonable. 

I do remember that if they store it for you and you need to get to it, there is a fee associated with it. They will have to pull it out of the warehouse for you, so you'll need to plan ahead. 

Buy your own lock  - they sell some but they are expensive. We used a simple combination lock from Target. We might have chosen something different if we had been storing it, I don't know. 

If you are moving locally, you cannot keep it on your property once you start showing the house, you will need access on a regular basis, etc.  I think I would definitely look into a storage unit pretty heavily.  Be realistic about the size, though.  PODs hold quite a bit.  Maybe the quote will show that a POD is cheaper, but I remember when I looked into having it stored at their facility and having to have access those were pretty expensive options.  

I am not really sure I would actually NEED access to our stuff, but there is something about knowing I *can't* access it that is making me nervous.

But the truth is, I probably wouldn't need access to it.

If you are moving locally, you cannot keep it on your property once you start showing the house, you will need access on a regular basis, etc.  I think I would definitely look into a storage unit pretty heavily.  Be realistic about the size, though.  PODs hold quite a bit.  Maybe the quote will show that a POD is cheaper, but I remember when I looked into having it stored at their facility and having to have access those were pretty expensive options.  

I used PODS for the first half of a recent interstate move. They were very flexible and their customer service was great, although I did have several billing issues that took a while to sort out. The main problem I had with the POD was that the way it is picked up and loaded onto the truck, everything inside gets shaken all over the place. I packed ours really really tightly, tied things down, etc., but we still ended up with furniture tipped over, stacks of boxes falling over, and a surprising amount of damage. The goofiest thing was that ALL of the tubs of lego dumped out — they were the last things packed in the POD, and I guess I should have taped the plastic lids shut, because when we tried to open the POD door, they had all fallen against the door and opened up, so there was literally an avalanche of tens of thousands of legos all over the driveway as we lifted the door! 

I used U-Pack instead for the second stage of the move; it was about the same price for an 8'x28' trailer as it was for an 8'x16' POD, and things didn't get nearly as jumbled up or damaged.

We used PODS when we moved last year.  We didn't have anything tip over or break.  No damage at all.  It was all very secure in there.  It cost about $2,000 for a month rental and 2,000 miles trucking across the country.  It was the cheapest option we looked at for as long a move as we did.

You really should just call the company. The $400 included delivery and pickup so it isn't necessarily $100/week. Maybe you can get into the POD; we never needed to so didn't ask.

We never had any problems with anything breaking. We had great experience with the company both times, two cross country moves, each with a few weeks of storing the POD so that we could take our time moving and enjoying the drive.

I used u-haul pods, which are slightly different.

You pay a low monthly rental (ours around $150) at a facility, and you tow it to/from their facility as you need it (and you can access it while it is there) -- but you don't keep it at your place for more than a day. You go pick it up, load it, and drive it back to them. You can do that anytime, for a low cost ($20?) to rent the "trailer" that your pod sits on.

We had no problem towing with an ordinary mini-van.

They are small, like a "small" uhaul trailer, but you can get more than one (as needed) for much cheaper than bigger options. They are not too small for couches, king sized bed, etc.

Thank you.  I did a quick search and it looks like there are quite a few options besides the actual PODS brand.

I didn't realize that.

Thanks,

Dawn

I used u-haul pods, which are slightly different.

You pay a low monthly rental (ours around $150) at a facility, and you tow it to/from their facility as you need it (and you can access it while it is there) -- but you don't keep it at your place for more than a day. You go pick it up, load it, and drive it back to them. You can do that anytime, for a low cost ($20?) to rent the "trailer" that your pod sits on.

We had no problem towing with an ordinary mini-van.

They are small, like a "small" uhaul trailer, but you can get more than one (as needed) for much cheaper than bigger options. They are not too small for couches, king sized bed, etc.

I have moved 3 times using PODs and love them. I love that we can take our time loading and unloading. That right there is a huge stress-reliever. We have also used the storage option for when our new house wasn't ready for several weeks after moving out of the old one, and it's so nice to load once and unload once onsite, as opposed to loading and unloading a storage unit and the trips back and forth with a u-haul truck and the costs incurred with that. For us, it was worth not having the extra hassle.

One tip we learned is to pack them very tight front to back and also top to bottom. That way things don't shift too much and fall and break. So we typically do a wall of boxes at the very back, floor to ceiling, tie all that down, then put mattresses standing up against that wall. Then basically pack things in like Tetris, using all the dead space between furniture for boxes. Also, heavy blankets on the furniture and bubble wrap on corners really helps.

Good luck with your move!

Where did you stay while you were waiting for a few weeks?

We are only finding month to month rentals.  We can't stay in an extended stay place since we have dogs.  

Dawn

I have moved 3 times using PODs and love them. I love that we can take our time loading and unloading. That right there is a huge stress-reliever. We have also used the storage option for when our new house wasn't ready for several weeks after moving out of the old one, and it's so nice to load once and unload once onsite, as opposed to loading and unloading a storage unit and the trips back and forth with a u-haul truck and the costs incurred with that. For us, it was worth not having the extra hassle.

One tip we learned is to pack them very tight front to back and also top to bottom. That way things don't shift too much and fall and break. So we typically do a wall of boxes at the very back, floor to ceiling, tie all that down, then put mattresses standing up against that wall. Then basically pack things in like Tetris, using all the dead space between furniture for boxes. Also, heavy blankets on the furniture and bubble wrap on corners really helps.

Good luck with your move!

Where did you stay while you were waiting for a few weeks?

We are only finding month to month rentals.  We can't stay in an extended stay place since we have dogs.  

Dawn

Extended Stay America allows up to two pets, with a maximum added charge of $150 per pet (even if staying for several weeks):

Pets are always welcomed guests at our hotels. You may house up to two pets in each guest room. To ensure that rooms stay fresh and clean, we charge a $25 (+ tax) per day, per pet non-refundable cleaning fee (not to exceed $150 + tax per pet), payable the first night of your stay. Weight, size, and breed restrictions may apply; please contact the hotel directly to ask about your pet.

We used Extended Stay America several times, for 2-3 weeks at a time, last year when we were house hunting and moving. It worked out to about $100/day for a 1-bedroom apartment with kitchenette, but we saved so much by not eating out all the time that it was much cheaper in the long run than spending $75/night for a cheap one-room hotel. Plus having two bathrooms and a bedroom with a desk and closeable door, made the close quarters a lot more tolerable. Rates are lower the longer you stay.

This is from the Extended Stay America website:

At Extended Stay America, we understand that when your family is going on vacation or being relocated, you don't want to leave anyone behind. If your family includes a four-legged friend, rest assured that we welcome your dog or cat too.

Pets are always welcomed guests at our hotels. You may house up to two pets in each guest room. To ensure that rooms stay fresh and clean, we charge a $25 (+ tax) per day, per pet non-refundable cleaning fee (not to exceed $150 + tax per pet), payable the first night of your stay. Weight, size, and breed restrictions may apply; please contact the hotel directly to ask about your pet.

I wonder what their weight restrictions are.  Our dogs are labs and weigh around 50-60 pounds each.

I've only moved locally, and I love getting a storage unit near work.  Every evening I load the car with at least 3 boxes.  Then on the way home, or at lunch if I go out, I drop off the boxes.  I give first priority to stuff that I just packed up, and if I'm too tired I grab some the storage area (things like Christmas decorations)  It makes things so much more wonderful to have the boxes OUT of the house.  Otherwise, I tend to get overwhelmed by the number of boxes.  Since the storage area is near work, it is easy to reverse the process after the main move.  

We stayed with a family member and boy, was that an adventure! Six people in a one-bedroom basement with one tiny bathroom. Lots of eating out and days spent at the park and dollar-movies place that month. We slept on bare mattresses on the floor of our completely empty new house the first night we could!