Menu

I need help adding healthy fat to my diet.

I saw my dr. last week, and I need help adding healthy fat to my diet (yes, I overdid it--hmmm, is overdid one word??).

I cut out all fat in Feb when I learned I had diabetes and my cholesterol had gone from 110 to 300 in ONE YEAR!!! I also started dieting and exercising, am now ultra healthy and have lost 69.5 pounds!

I also have hair so dry, I cannot wash it more than every 2 weeks, and even then it breaks off after I wash it and basically leave the conditioner in, because it is so dry. My skin is peeling, and so are my lips. My dr. said I definitely need fat, but didn't tell me how to do it. High cholesterol runs on both sides of my fam, and every except my dad has died of heart probs for many generations back. I have always had really good blood pressure, and, until now, good cholesterol (the one thing I always watched).

Help please?

Oh, and I am strict vegetarian, but not vegan. I don't eat pasta, rice or potatoes anymore, eat lots of veggies, don't use oil to cook anything right now, don't use butter, never have, don't really use salt, and eat lots of soy and tofu. Use milk for cooking, don't really drink it, I know eggs are alright once a week, I really don't have them more than once a month, if that, some cheese, not a lot, because I was trying to watch the fat.

Thanks!

Wow, I studied fats a lot this winter/spring and did I learn a lot. Butter and (raw) milk fat is probably the healthiest fat. Coconut oil is very healthy as well. After that, if you can find some unhydrogenated lard, that would be good for you (but if you are vegetarian you probably do not want lard), and of course a little olive oil. Also eat lots of nuts, truly free-range eggs, raw cheeses, and coconut. Do you eat fish? Taking cod-liver oil, and eating tuna and wild salmon will be very good for you.

Avoid corn, soy, canola, and cottonseed oils like the plague, as well as anything partially or fully hydrogenated.

Blessings,

Tracy

Well there is a huge disagreement as to what constitutes healthy fats. After doing a lot of reading I believe we are being told the wrong things regarding this.

So FWIW I think a great fat to add is coconut oil. It will really help with the dry skin and hair. Some people cook with it, or even take it straight up.

This is exactly what I was going to say.

Mom to Aly, your Indian relatives probably eat/ate butter, ghee, whole milk, whole milk yogurt, cream, and plenty of coconut products including coconut "milk", oil, and nutmeat (unsweetened.)

You can even put coconut oil directly on your hair or skin, although some people find that it has a drying effect, so ymmv.

How about adding flax seed to your diet? You can sprinkle it, add it to smoothies, even add it to tofu dishes. You can find it ground. How about tahini? Or nut butters? How about a capful or two of Omega Brites?

It's funny, I was just remembering the other day a story about Sacajawea and Lewis & Clark--While exploring the Northwest, they ate so much fish that they did not get enough fat, and began to get sick! I think they killed some sort of animals...Anyway, the point is, you can go too low, as you've seen.

If you are still watching the fat intake but feel hesitant or even a little scared, just ask how much you need, and figure it from there. It's not like you are going to eat a Big Mac, right?

Adding a little mayo, or an extra egg or two a week is just fine.

I just read "The Great Physicians RX to Health" and am browsing through "The Maker's Diet" both by Jordan Rubin. I would agree about the controversy over healthy fats. These books are really giving me insight in that area. I am amazed at the foods that are healthy, whole foods for your body. If I remember right, you are secular, but I think that you could ignore any religious references in the books and get good information from them. I'm actually waiting to have an errand down by the Health Food store so I can try extra virgin coconut oil. :D Good luck!

Yes, no lard, or fish (nothing that comes from the killing of an animal).

So I had always heard olive oil--coconut oil is better? And I was eating peanut butter for a while (my all time fave food), but stopped because of the fat--can I start again? Please, please? Say yes!!

As for nuts, are almonds OK?

And how much fat would you add? My doc just said "a reasonable amount". I've never added fat, and, in a fam where I was the only one who didn't have high cholesterol (that includes my sister who has always been thin and eats ultra healthy), I've always had good cholesterol. I have no idea what this means.

And isn't butter a big no-no? And margarine? But then I see things like Smart Balance?

And I totally gave up one of my fave things--fried food--still a no-no, huh?

Thank you guys so much for all the info! Oh, and I love avocados, but gave them up--I can eat them?

From what I just read, remember I'm no expert, avocados are ok. Organic butter is the best. Almonds are great, if you can get them "live" or sprouted they are even better. I read that almond butter or sunflower butter (weird!) is good for you. Still no fried food:001_smile:

Maybe someone else will have better info!

Wow, I studied fats a lot this winter/spring and did I learn a lot. Butter and (raw) milk fat is probably the healthiest fat. Coconut oil is very healthy as well. After that, if you can find some unhydrogenated lard, that would be good for you (but if you are vegetarian you probably do not want lard), and of course a little olive oil. Also eat lots of nuts, truly free-range eggs, raw cheeses, and coconut. Do you eat fish? Taking cod-liver oil, and eating tuna and wild salmon will be very good for you.

Avoid corn, soy, canola, and cottonseed oils like the plague, as well as anything partially or fully hydrogenated.

Blessings,

Tracy

:iagree: with everything she said here.

So I had always heard olive oil--coconut oil is better? And I was eating peanut butter for a while (my all time fave food), but stopped because of the fat--can I start again? Please, please? Say yes!!

Yes, yes, yes! But take it slowly. And only natural peanut butter. I make my own in a blender and the only ingredients are peanuts and a pinch of sea salt.

Yes, but as someone mentioned, raw or soaked and slowly roasted are best.

And how much fat would you add? My doc just said "a reasonable amount".

I'm not sure, but you can google until you find a chart that lists a healthy amount of fat for a person of your size. Have you been depressed? Sometimes people begin to suffer from depression when their fat intake is too low.

And isn't butter a big no-no? And margarine? But then I see things like Smart Balance?

Well, I think that real food is always best. If you can get butter made from the cream of grass fed cows, all the better. There is a brand of butter that is imported from Ireland that fits that description. It's not cheap, but if you're only using a small amount every so often, you might like to get it.

Thank you guys so much for all the info! Oh, and I love avocados, but gave them up--I can eat them?

Umm, yeah. You probably don't want to go whole hog (:lol:) and start eating fried foods again. Or maybe just occasionally like once every other month or something.

Yes, please do enjoy some avocado. They are a good source of healthy fat.

And how does coconut oil taste? Sounds good! Also, since my cholesterol is high, when I've had anything with fat (I had a few chips on a cheating day) it made me sick--should I expect that with these healthier fats?

Coconut oil can be either refined (no flavor) or unrefined (retains coconut flavor.) Both are okay, but I think you lose a bit nutrition-wise when you use the refined kind because it has been processed more.

I think that you should go very slowly with this. It will probably take awhile for your body to adjust. I would only add maybe a tablespoon a day for awhile.

There is a lot of info on coconut oils and other coconut products on this site:

http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/

This is a really good company. We use their coconut oil and some other products and they're great quality.

Thank you all so much! To answer your question, anj, I can't say I've been depressed, but I have a lung disease that has been acting up (it is really an extension of my asthma getting really bad), and that exhausts me. Plus, my brother, who is severely mentally ill, has been having major probs, so that is there, plus continual money probs, so I haven't been cheery. But nothing out of the ordinary. I'm basically a happy person, even with everything in my life, so I wouldn't say depressed, not really.

I am quite scared of just adding fat, so I plan to take this very slowly, but do need to do something, before I lose my hair, I think!

Oh, & I was thinking of veg tempura once every couple of months, not every week or something ;). Still need to lose weight, and keep it off!

Thank you all, again, so much!!

coconut oil is at the top of my list. It's the only oil we use here.

<try making popcorn with coconut oil> the fam turned their nose up when I first made it but now they line up when I make it.

Also peanut butter is ok. It's easier to find some with no hydrognigated oils these days.

Here is one of my family's favorite snacks...

Peanut butter brownies

16 oz Peanut butter (crunchy or creamy)

(we use Smucker’s Natural with no hydrogenated oils)

2 eggs

1 tsp baking soda

1 cup honey

1 cup cooked squash (frozen is ok)

2 tsp coconut oil

Grease 10 x 14 glass baking dish (or 3 7x7 pans) and set aside

Preheat oven to 325

Beat 2 eggs

Add baking soda and mix well

Add peanut butter and stir till mixed

Pour honey in and mix well

Add squash and blend well

Pour into pan(s) and place on higher shelf in oven

Cook 325 for 30-40 mins or till tooth pick comes out clean

Don’t over cook

Remove from oven and cool 30 mins. Slice into 24-27 equal bars.

Can be cut in half. Freezes well

Uses no refined sugar, trans fat or preservatives

dont tell the kids theres squash in it till after they eat it. :)

Generally the good fats are in whole foods like nuts and seeds. Avocados are an excellent source of good fats and generally don't contribute to cholesterol. The biggest contributors to cholesterol are the animal fats. The higher fiber content of your diet with lots of soluble and insoluble fiber will help with cholesterol as well. I would add a small amount of olive oil (extra virgin cold pressed) maybe a little virgin coconut oil for cooking with only, fresh ground flax seeds (1 T in a smoothie or sprinkled on your oatmeal), and some nuts and seeds (almonds are an excellent source of calcium in addition to good fats. Walnuts have those elusive Omega-3 fatty acids). Dr. Furhman talks about good fats- he does not advocate using oils but he uses nuts and seeds and avocados.

We use olive oil, safflower oil, or butter for cooking. Make sure with your oils that you get cold pressed or expeller pressed. If the label doesn't advertise this the oil was probably extracted through a chemical process which takes away nearly all its healthy attributes. I have come home with a new bottle of olive oil a couple times only to find that it's not cold pressed.....what's the point of paying for olive oil that's not even good for you? :glare:

Maybe add some fats in, give it a couple months and then go and re-test? Then you'll know if you're eating enough or should add a bit more.

Have fun!

Yes, no lard, or fish (nothing that comes from the killing of an animal).

And how much fat would you add? My doc just said "a reasonable amount". I've never added fat, and, in a fam where I was the only one who didn't have high cholesterol (that includes my sister who has always been thin and eats ultra healthy), I've always had good cholesterol. I have no idea what this means.

I just found a really great low-fat peanut butter. It's called "Better'n Peanut Butter". It *is* peanut butter, but lowfat - 2g per 2T.

You *definitely* need fat in your diet. I did no-fat/low-fat for a while. I nurse-practioner I know told me that it is VERY unhealthy for your heart, etc. to go without fat. She was asking me questions about my mood, because she said a sign of lack of fat in the diet is mood alteration. (I remember feeling a bit high-strung during that time. I was down to 98lbs on a no-fat diet.)

Anyway, avocado is a healthy fat. As a matter of fact, I just read somewhere that avocado can actually help *reduce* belly fat. I don't know why, though. I ate some last night. :D

Oh! And I went on a Mediterranean diet after I went off the "McDougall" diet. *Much* more sensible, IMO. Olive oil is a main staple of that diet. I used coconut oil as well.

I would add nuts to your diet, several tablespoons every day. Use whole nuts rather than nutbutters. I would drizzle a really nice olive oil on your veggies. Great for taste! If you like, add some flax seed to your diet. And don't forget the avocado.

There is debate about what fats are the healthiest, but I think the above items are on just about everyone's good fat list and they all fit with a vegetarian lifestyle.

The other that I would recommend are eggs, but those don't always show up on the "good fat" lists. I think several eggs a week would be good, especially since you are so low on fat already.

I saw my dr. last week, and I need help adding healthy fat to my diet (yes, I overdid it--hmmm, is overdid one word??).

My dh is also diabetic. He has found (after much dietary experimentation) that using coconut oil and eating dried (cooked) beans every day keeps his numbers under control. Be sure that you use virgin coconut oil. He even puts it on toast!