Menu

Overrun by drain flies

SeaConquest

Ahh..

We've been dealing with them here too.

Everyone I know has had them REALLY bad this year for some reason.

I pour boiling water in the drains, flush the disposals every night and finally feel like I am making progress.

Also, I had to make sure that all wastebaskets were emptied regularly. A gremlin was leaving stuff like apple cores in wastebaskets all over the house which was a problem

Apple cider vinegar with a few drops of dish soap. It's amazing!

Yes, this!

Dh let a huge swarm into the house when he put the yard waste bin out to the curb for pickup.

I put out a glass of apple cider vinegar with a bit of dish soap last night.  Now it has loads of dead fruit flies... YAY!

Also I tried putting some dish soap in the bottom of our food scraps container.  Then I filled it with a full blast from the faucet, creating lots of tiny soapy bubbles so they almost overflowed the container.  Then I added a splash of apple cider vinegar.  The fruit flies just couldn't resist.  LOADS and LOADS of dead fruit flies.

We bought some gel that is supposed to eat the organic matter in the sink. Did nothing. It's also complicated by the fact that we are on our sailboat, so I can't just pour Draino down the sink. It goes straight into the ocean. We're not even sure where they are coming from! Gah!

Is there some way to flood the whole tank, then?

Do you mean the fresh water tanks? We don't use the tanks in a marina. The water is coming straight from a hose into the boat. My husband just took apart the kitchen sink and said it was clean as a whistle. They seem to hover mostly in the kitchen and sometimes the kid's bathroom. We are really stumped as to where they are coming from.