Menu

ATTENTION Everyone! Yes, this means YOU. Please read this...

BatmansWife

I have permission from Susan Wise Bauer to post this here. 

If you are like me, you might come to this discussion board daily and not even look up at the top where the announcements are.  Please read the announcement by SWB dated September 10th titled: ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL. ALL USERS PLEASE READ.  You can click here and go directly to it (link is to the same announcement at the General Education Discussion Board, which is open for posting). 

I admit, I didn't even see this announcement and read it until yesterday.  :blush:  I'm sure there must be others who also haven't noticed it (I can't believe I'm always the last to know everything).  If this is news to you, or if you just have something to say, please comment on this thread to help pop it near the top.  I'd like to try to keep this near the top for several days...maybe even all of this week...so that everyone will have an opportunity to see it (so if you get sick of seeing it, please be understanding).  If in the future you see someone posting pictures or quotes that aren't allowed (read the announcement to know what I mean...and this also means make sure your avatar is one you took yourself or is from the public domain), please be kind enough to pm them and let them know, giving them the link to Susan's announcement.

That is all.  Thank you.  :001_smile:

ETA: Posts 7, 12, and 31 of this discussion contain updates or quotes from Susan that she posted at that announcement thread.  They are posted here in case you don't have time to wade through 11+ pages of the announcement and just want to read her comments.

Yep.  I pm'd a gentle reminder to someone who put a link to amazon on here.  It really IS too bad, though!!  I have been helped by so many of those wonderful links in the past!  Has this always been the "rule" and just no one followed it, or is this something new? 

Also, can we post something like "blahblahblah at something something dot com"...written out??  LOL!?  Or do we have to say, email me and I'll give you a great link for that?

Thanks!

There is no problem with posting links.  As SWB elaborated in the announcement thread...

"Guys,

Links are fine.

Brief quotes from published articles are OK with links back to the original source, but keep the quotes short--WELL below 5% of the total article length.

Wikipedia is generally considered public domain.

Fair use/open use is OK, but be VERY sure that anything you post falls under this category. 

NEVER pull photos off magazine or news sites. 

Photos are really not OK unless you took them or unless you can prove that THEY are in the public domain. And yeah, that includes cupcakes and kilts. And probably Ryan Gosling too.

Photos in avatars are still photos, so unless you own the rights or the photo is in the public domain, then yeah, it should come down too.

I apologize for the trouble, but please try to do what you can.

SWB"

There is a LONG thread at the top of the GENERAL forum. Post your questions there.

I think the problem is that it is such a long thread at this point.  No one wants to wade through the whole thing, so people are just posting and reposting the same questions that have already been answered many times.

Thank you! I'm terrible about reading announcements too!

So maybe I'm not the last to know.  ;)   Sooo....did you end up reading it, since you are so terrible at reading announcements?  JK! 

I didn't see the announcement until someone on a private subforum mentioned it.

I noticed you changed your avatar the other day....and I thought, something must be up.  :lol:  Not sure if that's why you changed it....I'm just assuming. 

Yep.  I pm'd a gentle reminder to someone who put a link to amazon on here.  It really IS too bad, though!!  I have been helped by so many of those wonderful links in the past!  Has this always been the "rule" and just no one followed it, or is this something new? 

Also, can we post something like "blahblahblah at something something dot com"...written out??  LOL!?  Or do we have to say, email me and I'll give you a great link for that?

Thanks!

Even though you meant to be helpful, that wasn't necessary...linking isn't the problem.  Inserting links is fine, so you don't have to post "blahblahblah at something something dot com"...just link like normally.  The main problem is posting in your actual post pictures you copy online (specifically of real people) and posting quoted things you find online (unless it's only a snippet of the original).  SWB can explain it better in her announcement. 

There is no problem with posting links.  As SWB elaborated in the announcement thread...

"Guys,

Links are fine.

Brief quotes from published articles are OK with links back to the original source, but keep the quotes short--WELL below 5% of the total article length.

Wikipedia is generally considered public domain.

Fair use/open use is OK, but be VERY sure that anything you post falls under this category. 

NEVER pull photos off magazine or news sites. 

Photos are really not OK unless you took them or unless you can prove that THEY are in the public domain. And yeah, that includes cupcakes and kilts. And probably Ryan Gosling too.

Photos in avatars are still photos, so unless you own the rights or the photo is in the public domain, then yeah, it should come down too.

I apologize for the trouble, but please try to do what you can.

SWB"

Ummm....you just quoted.  :001_huh:   I'm just giving you a hard time. :lol:  I'm sure she wouldn't mind you quoted her, because it's helping her get the word out. 

I think the problem is that it is such a long thread at this point.  No one wants to wade through the whole thing, so people are just posting and reposting the same questions that have already been answered many times.

I agree...it took me all day yesterday to read through all of that (at least it felt like all day).  Maybe we can keep all of Susan's answers posted together...maybe here, like you did.  I don't know...just a thought. 

In addition to the SWB quote posted by wendyroo in post # 7 up there, here are some more of the replies from Susan as she tried to answer all the many questions (just trying to post them here in case others don't have time to wade through that entire discussion....not that I have time either, but I did start this thread). 

"Embedded Youtube videos are fine--the website gives you the coding to do that, so embedding is clearly within their fair use guidelines.

Links, as I mentioned above, are fine."

"...Don't worry so much about past quotes/text. But photos, ESPECIALLY CELEBRITY PHOTOS, need to come down. Even if you put your own caption on a photo of Ryan Gosling, the photo itself is owned by someone who may very well accuse you/us of copyright infringement.

Government websites are not a problem."

"The quotes are not really the big problem, so don't fret too much about them.

Go ahead and report celeb photos. Don't worry so much about photos taken from catalogs or online stores.

Actually, no, posting a comic or photo with attribution is STILL a problem. Much better to provide a link to the original source than to copy and paste.

Basically, any time you copy and paste an image...stop and think first."

"Guys, a clarification: Book covers are OK.

Pictures from catalogs and shopping sites are not a problem.

I'm trying to figure this out on the fly as well, so thanks for your patience.

SWB"

"And on the avatars...Guys, I don't know. If you can confirm that a photo is public domain, obviously it's fine, but if you aren't absolutely sure, keep looking."

I got my new pic from this website which I think is legit public domain...there are many categories to choose from, and the file size is listed. Let me know if this site isn't public domain! I'm posting the link for all the forum members who are looking for new avatars.

http://www.public-domain-photos.com/flowers/3

I like your flower. 

If anyone needs to take a public domain picture and make it into an avatar, it's super easy to do so at http://www.shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/ 

I was wondering if there was some rules against certain avatars when mine was deleted. I re-added it though, as I took the picture. I would understand for safety reasons if there was a rule against adding your children's pictures, but it doesn't look like there is any.

Just changed my avatar.  I think I'll bawl.  What am I if not a half-naked Barbarian woman warrior????  I'm just a shadow of my former self...

Lol, if you still game, take a screenshot of your character in a game and save it. :)

Just changed my avatar.  I think I'll bawl.  What am I if not a half-naked Barbarian woman warrior????  I'm just a shadow of my former self...

Did you check to see if your picture was in the public domain?  Maybe you didn't need to change it?  You could google "barbarian woman warrior public domain photos".  Hmmm...on second thought...maybe you don't want to see what will come up, I don't know.  

I would think we could use an avatar from a "free avatar" website. Right?!?!?!?

Yeah, I'm starting to get nervous too. My avatar is also from a free avatar site, I had assumed everybody's was, but now everybody is changing theirs..... Nervous.

Yes, that should be just fine. 

I was wondering if there was some rules against certain avatars when mine was deleted. I re-added it though, as I took the picture. I would understand for safety reasons if there was a rule against adding your children's pictures, but it doesn't look like there is any.

Lol, if you still game, take a screenshot of your character in a game and save it. :)

Hey, Angela...I haven't "seen" you in awhile.  :seeya: Although, maybe I just haven't read the discussions that you comment at.  Hope all is well with you and your dd (and your dh too, of course). Psst...and maybe you don't recognize me....I used to be ~AprilMay~.  Although, maybe you don't remember that either.  :001_unsure:

I remember you ~AprilMay~. :) I'm just afterschooling now, but it seems that the home education we're doing is more important than ever, now that my dd9 has experience in an actual fourth grade classroom. (A few of the spelling words last week were 'dog' and 'write'.)

That's quite a major change for all of you.  I sure hope it will work out for you!  Glad you are still around here....you have always had good advice and ideas. 

What I did once I found the one thread with pages of posts was I just scrolled through the pages quickly, stopping whenever I saw SWB's avatar.  This way I managed to read any news/answers she gave, without reading 11 pages of questions and commiserations.