Menu

Where do I even start with spelling (embarrassed to admit)

happyWImom

I have totally failed my dc on the spelling front. :blushing:  It is one thing that has been totally inconsistent and totally hit or miss, here.  We've used quite a few things, but just never kept with them.  Probably because it's just one more thing that added to our time.  I know, terrible.

Anyway, my dd (12) is a natural speller.  End of last year we started to use Spelling Power and she just kept breezing through all of the lists-we usually never even made it to the actual list, because she tested out of them all.  So, she's good.  Because of this, though, for her I'd like to challenge her, and think it would definitely boost her self confidence.  Where do I start?  Spelling Power is okay, but despite what everyone says, I think it takes a long time.  Especially when we never even get to a word list for her to study.

Ds, is another story.  He's my voracious reader, so I thought he would be a natural speller.  He's the exact opposite.  So, even though his reading level is off the charts and he's 10, where and what do I start him with???

For both, I will have them study their lists using SpellingCity; they both like it and it seems to have worked well. (When we've actually used it)

I've been searching like mad, and I don't want something that's going to be pages worth of busy-work for them.  "Natural Speller" looks good, but if anyone has other suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Also, am I the only one who has dropped the ball on spelling?  

My ds10 is a natural speller so I've dropped a formal spelling program for him. What's the point? It becomes busy work. Instead he gets spelling through his writing. As words come up that he doesn't know how to spell, we talk about them. It usually only takes him one correction and he gets it right next time.

Dd8, I've been using the logic of English advanced lists and just review the spelling rules for each list. I've also used sequential spelling with her, but 25 words a day was a bit much so we are taking a break with the LOE lists.

I wouldn't do spelling with a 12 yo who is a natural speller. If you feel she needs something then I'd do vocabulary. Megawords is probably a good mix if you feel she must have spelling.

For the 10, I'll suggest All About Spelling. He'd probably fly through the first level (I'd start with the second) and fly through the second, but if he's not a natural speller, then I'd definitely do something focused on the rules. If not AAS, then Logic of English, or How to Teach Spelling or something.

I'm a huge fan of Sequential Spelling and would probably start both of them on the first level. I started off by purchasing the book and doing it with my child, but halfway through the first level discovered the DVD version. It works MUCH better for my kid and frees up my time as well. 

We started Sequential Spelling this year. It teaches spelling by patterns. It sticks with sound patterns in a set of root words, and then you add prefixes and suffixes, etc. over several days while slowly moving to a new set of sounds in the root words. I love that when my son is spelling, "begin" and "inning," and then he writes "begining" instead of "beginning," he can readily see why his mistake is a mistake. He's the kind of child that aced spelling words just by copying them a few times, but he doesn't spell anything correctly in spontaneous writing. So far, so good. 2nd DS seems to be taking after the first, but he's responding really well to SS too. 

It's very easy to implement. You give a spelling test everyday with some hints (they have you use words in the context of a sentence, particularly for homophones), and you correct the student after each word. Very simple and very quick.

You haven't dropped the ball. :-)

Rod and Staff's Spelling by Sound and Structure might be good for your dd. Although she probably doesn't need help with *spelling,* SSS works on dictionary skills, syllabication, Latin and Greek root words, and so on. It's good information to have. :-)

And my best recommendation for children who need to improve their spelling skills: Spalding. Always Spalding. :-)

In both cases, you could just drop SpellingCity unless your dc have free time on their hands.

I wouldn't do spelling with the natural speller. It doesn't sound like she needs it.

For the 10 year old, I highly suggest Apples and Pears. It has made a world of difference with my weak speller. There are lots of threads here about it if you do a search. Half a lesson a day here, which seems to be a typical pace, takes about 15 minutes. It's entirely open and go. I suspect it will get done for you.

You haven't dropped the ball. :-)

Rod and Staff's Spelling by Sound and Structure might be good for your dd. Although she probably doesn't need help with *spelling,* SSS works on dictionary skills, syllabication, Latin and Greek root words, and so on. It's good information to have. :-)

And my best recommendation for children who need to improve their spelling skills: Spalding. Always Spalding. :-)

In both cases, you could just drop SpellingCity unless your dc have free time on their hands.

I can't comment about your son, but I absolutely agree with this in regards to Rod and Staff. My dd is a natural speller too, and I quit spelling with her early on after realizing it was just busy work. Then we tried R&S and haven't looked back. The words themselves aren't all that challenging for her. She breezes through them and gets 100 on nearly every test. The lessons though, she has learned so much from them. 

I can't comment about your son, but I absolutely agree with this in regards to Rod and Staff. My dd is a natural speller too, and I quit spelling with her early on after realizing it was just busy work. Then we tried R&S and haven't looked back. The words themselves aren't all that challenging for her. She breezes through them and gets 100 on nearly every test. The lessons though, she has learned so much from them. 

Typically, how long do the lessons take?  I like that R&S covers other stuff, because she usually does get most words correct out of the lists I give her.  That's the frustrating part!  (I know, it's good, but you know what I mean)

I have a similar child/ability situation. This year we've started Sequential Spelling and its going better than I possibly could have hoped. I gave them each the placement test and DS11 started out halfway through level 6, DS9 is starting at the very beginning. The lower levels have dvd versions which is great for both of us - I give the tests to ds11 but since spelling is an "easy" subject for him it isn't an issue.