Menu

At what age did / will you give your kid a house key?

SKL

Quite a lot of kids here have spare keys from 3rd grade. They walk home from school and have grandparents waiting at home. So not latchkey but for convenience.

Do they still need actual keys? I don't know anyone who doesn't have a garage door code and the kids all seem to know that at a very early age.

I live in a gated condo. My kids would need the house key and the key fob to get in. The key fob would give my kids access to the clubhouse and the pool. Home prices are crazy here.

I'll probably give them a key fob but not the home key. I'll give them the home key when there is a need which is unlikely at the moment as I live very near a library so they can wait there.

Wow, you really don't know anyone without a garage key code or powered garage door? I can't imagine everyone I know having these! I don't.

No, can't think of anyone other than our one friend still in the city.  The base housing in Oki didn't have garages, but no one locked the doors.  Even the hundred plus old houses all had powered garage doors, with codes even if they are not attached to the garage.  

But you do know this thread is for people you don't know right? People who live in apartments, people who live in houses without garages, people who live in houses with detached garages... Your first post was rather strange, seeming to dismiss that children in general might need keys because no one YOU know would need them. :huh: :confused1:

My post was strange? How about his one? And rather rude. 

It wasn't in a situation where I would have wanted to argue about it, but one of the parents said they use a key code instead.  I think her kid is in middle school.

I suppose they are afraid someone could steal the key and bust into the house?  Or maybe the concern is that they could lose the key and be locked out?  The second is quite possible - it happened to us as kids multiple times - but to me that sounds like more of an inconvenience than a danger.  Assuming there is a plan B or the kids will only be home alone for a relatively short time.

Back in the day, we had a key hidden under a rock. That was our "key code." ;)

We all have to learn to take care of our keys, right?  How could one feel comfortable with their child alone in a house, but not responsible enough to look after a house key? I just don't see the logic.

My son got one in his Christmas stocking when he was 15. He was beginning to do some social things that freed me up for errands and appointments and I didn't want to always have to come just because he was coming home if I still had things to do. I hope he keeps it the rest of his life! I still have my key to my parents house, as do all of my siblings. It has come in handy through the years because when we visit we go out and about and people don't have to stay at home waiting for us to return just to let us in the house. My parents also want us to know we can always come home. 

Do they still need actual keys? I don't know anyone who doesn't have a garage door code and the kids all seem to know that at a very early age.  I always keep a spare key in the garage (incase the inside door is locked) and a spare key hidden outside incase the power is out.  While everyone has house keys on their key ring with their car, I can't think of anyone who actually uses them, they all enter the house via the garage car remote if in the car, or the garage code if out walking. 

I enter my house with a key just about every single time I come home. I do have a garage door opener, but I don't park in the garage (it is needed to charge my husband's electric car) and I prefer to come through the front door, anyway. I like my front porch! 

Also, not all houses have garages. Apartments certainly don't, most duplexes don't either. I don't find it odd at all that someone would have a house key. I find it odd that someone wouldn't ever use one, though. 

Back in the day, we had a key hidden under a rock. That was our "key code." ;)

We all have to learn to take care of our keys, right? How could one feel comfortable with their child alone in a house, but not responsible enough to look after a house key? I just don't see the logic.

I know a ton of adults who lose their keys. Or their cell phones. Or their wallets. Or purses. Just because they have them doesn't mean they always look after them.

I'd rather be certain each of us can get into the house than make sure everyone has his or her very own key.

We never did give one to one of our sons. He started early to be untrustworthy, and never quite made the it to the point where we could trust him with one. I guess we could give him one now--but he lives far away and prob wouldn't need it! Might be a nice gesture of sorts, though.

His sister got one when she was in 6th grade.

Oh yes, I know an adult who has had to replace her fancy expensive car key / unlocker thingy several times.  She has also laundered at least 3 cell phones.  The list could go on all day.  She is a walking sitcom.  How she manages to get through each day is somewhat of a wonder.  :P

I think this is topic similar to house phones vs cell phones, that will never be a one size fits all.  Some families use tech as a way of life and don't think twice about ditching a key.  Other families like a more traditional land line or physical key to use as a tool.  Some will do both.  Some will go to the opposite extent and thing that one way is the only way. 

I don't want to give my kids a key, because if they lose it, I would have to remove the mechanism and rekey 3 locks (all outside doors have the same key) to feel secure. I do trust my kids to be alone, because my kids misplacing a key has little to do with how responsible they are in providing for their basic needs and safety.  If the garage code get given out, I have to take 30 seconds to reset it and be done. 

I only carry a car key. A single key with no ring.  Dh does the same. People are always saying to me that they think it is odd that we only carry the one key. I think it is odd to cary a key ring with 10 keys that people don't use buy once a month or so (storage shed, boat, trailer etc). 

In 14 years, for the house, we have only had the 2 keys that came with the locks. The key hidden in the garage has probably been the most used because once every few years,  someone will accidentally lock the interior door that leads to the garage.  It has maybe been used 3 or 4 times.

The rest of our keys are all together in a bowl.  If we need a key, we grab it and the put it back in the bowl later, asap.