Menu

Calvin's first reading list

Laura Corin

A couple of people were interested in C's reading lists.  This is the first.  He will be studying four courses through the year - two in English (criticism; Renaissance Lit) and two in Latin (translation, and literature).  This is the Renaissance Lit reading list:

Edited: possible copyright issue.

L

Do the majority of the students read everything top to bottom or is there a fair amount of skimming going on?

I'd like to hear Laura's answer but my understanding is that there is a lot of writing about and discussing the assigned reading, which really wouldn't allow for much skimming. I had an anthropology professor who had studied at Cambridge and modeled his teaching system after them. I took every class I could from him, I loved the tutorial set-up.

ETA I see I cross-posted with Laura.

Thanks for posting this -- sounds like heaven to me!  I'm curious how he plans to take notes or memorialize the readings for future reference?

If it isn't inappropriate, I'd be very interested in his Latin reading lists, especially the translation class.  Also, I'm curious what prerequisites there are for a classics major.  If he hadn't had any Latin or Greek before college, would it be possible to major in classics?

Thanks for posting this -- sounds like heaven to me!  I'm curious how he plans to take notes or memorialize the readings for future reference?

If it isn't inappropriate, I'd be very interested in his Latin reading lists, especially the translation class.  Also, I'm curious what prerequisites there are for a classics major.  If he hadn't had any Latin or Greek before college, would it be possible to major in classics?

The translation class probably will only have assigned grammar books - the translation will be 'unseen', so not based on already-studied texts.  

There are two ways to do classics there - either as a three-year course (for people who have spent around four to seven years studying Latin or Greek already) or a four-year course (for those with little or no background in the classics).  The four year people join the others after a crash-course year.  Latin and Greek are not much taught in state (public) schools, so the dual entry allows anyone to apply.

l

The translation class probably will only have assigned grammar books - the translation will be 'unseen', so not based on already-studied texts.

There are two ways to do classics at Oxford - either as a three-year course (for people who have spent around four to seven years studying Latin or Greek already) or a four-year course (for those with little or no background in the classics). The four year people join the others after a crash-course year. Latin and Greek are not much taught in state (public) schools, so the dual entry allows anyone to apply.

l

That must be some crash course...

Well, there went £60.  I just bought him the drama anthology and the Spenser (which his tutor said would be the first thing to study).  For the rest, Calvin can trawl the second hand book shops in our nearest college town, as well as at his new college.  And some texts will be in the libraries there for him to use.

L