Menu

HELP! Can I bake brownies as cupcakes?

Just Kate

DD is having a birthday party this weekend and she has requested a Pineapple Upside Down cake (Hawaiian Luau theme). I would also like to make chocolate cupcakes. My son has recently started a gluten-free diet, and we have made gluten free brownies that everyone loves. Could I make the brownies as cupcakes? Or do you have a gluten-free chocolate cake recipe that you love and can recommend?

Thanks!

I think you can, but you might want to test it out. They will cook faster as cupcakes and might be dry and hard around the edges. 

You could just make brownies and cut them and put them out. A brownie isn't the same as cake (denser etc) but people love them. Why not just serve brownies?

I agree with redsquirrel. 

You can bake them in a cupcake pan but the timing will be different. You have to watch them very carefully to get them out at the right consistency.

Or you could just make a thicker pan of brownies, let your daughter cut out shapes with cookie cutters, and frost if you like. 

I think it sounds like such a great idea I might try that.  I was planning on making brownies tomorrow.  Although, I wouldn't make them deeper than normal.  I was reading the reviews on "Brooke's Best Bombshell Brownies" on AllRecipes.com.  Someone said something like, "Warning, don't use a smaller pan than specified.  It totally ruins the brownies"  

Thanks everyone! Maybe I will just buy a gluten free cake mix to use for cupcakes. The party is tomorrow and I just don't have the time to test anything!!!

And my reasoning for cupcakes is that dd has cupcake liners that she is dying to use  for her party. :)

I have had good luck with Pamela's. Most health food stores or big grocery stores with a specialty section have them. I am linking vanilla because that is what I can find, but I only tried chocolate. The frosting was really yummy, they also have frosting. I made it with palm oil and it still turned out great, it was also dairy free.

http://www.amazon.com/Pamelas-Products-Classic-Vanilla-21-Ounce/dp/B000XB2E1E/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1407512630&sr=8-13&keywords=Gluten+free+cake+mix

Here is the chocolate frosting:

http://www.amazon.com/Pamelas-Products-Chocolate-Frosting-12-Ounce/dp/B000Y02VZI/ref=sr_1_34?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1407512803&sr=1-34

ETA: I found the chocolate cake mix!

http://www.amazon.com/Pamelas-Products-Luscious-Chocolate-21-Ounce/dp/B000DZH19K/ref=sr_1_44?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1407512851&sr=1-44

Is anyone other than your son gluten free? Just do one or two brownie cupcakes for him and use the rest of the mix to make regular brownies for him to enjoy later. Use a regular cake mix or make from scratch the cupcakes for the rest of the party.

Yes, there is another gluten free kid coming. We are already making a regular dessert (pineapple upside down cake) and I really don't think I can put together three desserts for tomorrow.

The gluten free thing is fairly new for us, and I have made the brownies twice and they have been a hit! That's why I planned to make them again. And then dd reminded me of the cute cupcake liners...