Menu

s/o...Americans, what percentage of your net monthly income goes to food.

Ann.without.an.e

What percentage of your monthly income goes to food?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. What % of your monthly income goes to food (groceries, eating out, anything food related)

• 0-5%
    • 6-10%
    • 11-15%
    • 16-20%
    • 21-25%
    • 25-30%
    • 31-35%
    • 35-40%
    • 41% or higher

I voted 25-30%, but that includes everything I buy at the grocery store including toiletries. It also includes eating out. I try to cook from scratch, but I'm headed back to work full time next month. I'm worried that our expenses will increase because I will be too tired to cook. We tried to save money several years by cutting back on our meat intake. My dh was getting sick from being so hungry. He eats about 3000 calories a day, and he is underweight. If only I had his metabolism. I really tried to scale back on the fillers ie...  pasta, potatoes, rice, but dh and dd2 wouldn't stay full. It's back to pot roast with no leftovers, pulled pork with no leftovers, and meatloaf with no leftovers. You get the picture. When my kids were little I could feed us with one pound of hamburger for any number of dishes, these days it's a 2 lb minimum. Those of you with growing boys, I don't know how you do it.

I voted 25-30%, but that includes everything I buy at the grocery store including toiletries. It also includes eating out. I try to cook from scratch, but I'm headed back to work full time next month. I'm worried that our expenses will increase because I will be too tired to cook. We tried to save money several years by cutting back on our meat intake. My dh was getting sick from being so hungry. He eats about 3000 calories a day, and he is underweight. If only I had his metabolism. I really tried to scale back on the fillers ie...  pasta, potatoes, rice, but dh and dd2 wouldn't stay full. It's back to pot roast with no leftovers, pulled pork with no leftovers, and meatloaf with no leftovers. You get the picture. When my kids were little I could feed us with one pound of hamburger for any number of dishes, these days it's a 2 lb minimum. Those of you with growing boys, I don't know how you do it.

When I worked outside the house our grocery bill went up.  But since I was making money, our food costs were actually lower percentage wise.   When I quit, it went back down. I had more time to plan, cook, and use leftovers efficiently. 

When my kids were little I could feed us with one pound of hamburger for any number of dishes, these days it's a 2 lb minimum. Those of you with growing boys, I don't know how you do it.

Yep.  I remember the good old days when a pound of hamburger made a meal and leftovers.  Now it's more like an appetizer just for the boys alone.

I don't have any idea what our percentage is.  DH keeps up with it somewhat, but we generally lump groceries in with toiletries, cleaning supplies, pet food, etc.  And we eat out at least a couple of times a week.  So it would come out to . . . a lot of money, no matter what the percentage. ;)

I keep my eyes on my own cart. It's none of my business what other people buy and vice versa. I know nothing about their situation, income, the number of jobs that they work, their disabilities, where they live, if they have access to a fully equipped kitchen where they live, etc, etc.

We're in the 20% ish range, but that includes anything I buy at the grocery store so pet food, cat litter, paper goods, etc. Some weeks it's likely higher than that, some weeks it's lower.

Right now DH is unemployed so it's about 45 percent of our income. We are bleeding savings. We've yet to receive food assistance of any kind. When he's working it's about 20 percent.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug: 

We're at 33%, which includes toiletries, paper products, etc. We rarely ever eat out (4x/year max). We spend slightly more on groceries than on rent.

We currently live in Canada, but while dairy is more expensive, the produce is much cheaper than back home in the US, so I think it evens out.