Menu

Anyone have experience with concussions?

Sherri in MI

My son had a mild concussion Friday (minibike accident), went to ER, followed up with our doctor yesterday.  The doctors seem surprisingly casual about it, but the some of info online (from hospital websites) seemed to take it more seriously & recommend more rest and limitations for a while.  Other online sites were more casual and vague.  I'm not a hysterical parent, but...it's his brain for pity's sake!! Isn't that rather serious!!  I also like to be well informed.  It seems hard to get the clarification I want from any one place.  Anyway, after putting the E.R. doctor's recs, hospital website recs & our doctor yesterday, I do finally feel a lot better about how to help my guy (15 yo) recover.  But why the discrepancy of attitudes and caution/lack of caution about recovery and return to activities?  Ds is doing well - passed the tests they do to test coordination, etc.  still has symptoms (mild) & is going to youth group tonight (no running around) after resting at home since Friday.  Can return to light activity as tolerated.

I'm also surprised a the lack of concern among our homeschool friends and church friends.  A handful of people expressed concern, like, 5, but other than that people seem completely unconcerned or silent.  Even the youth pastor, even when I emailed him asking him to pray. 

What are your experiences with concussion treatment, recovery & return to activities?  Is it unusual for the doctor not to want a follow up visit in a couple of weeks.  At least one hospital recommended a follow up at 2 weeks and 4 weeks.

I think, in part, the problem lies in the changing attitude regarding the long term effects of concussive injuries. When I was a teen, I had a head injury that made me incapable of standing upright for a few days ( dizziness, lack of balance and co-ordination ) after being hit on the head with a rifle at marching band practice. The 'restriction' at the time, was to stay home until I could walk without falling down. Said somewhat tongue in cheek, but really, back then the only instructions were to go home a rest awhile. That was 35ish years ago.

There is so much more evidence that concussions can have serious long term effects but I think there are still a lot of 'old school' doctors who still think a head ache is no big deal.  It seems that those involved with children and sports are at the head of the pack with limiting activity. I think you would be smart to take a balance approach and work toward several days of minimal brain stimulation and gradual return to activities as long as there are no symptoms reappearing.

Even if you doctor does not urge extreme caution, that doesn't prevent you from limiting activity as you see fit. There is ample evidence to support your concern.

Good luck - I know how hard it can be to keep some kids down.

If he's feeling okay and doesn't get a headache on exertion (like reading or watching TV), he's probably just fine.  My oldest son had a mild concussion a few years ago (he was about 7).  The doctor was very laid back about it, no follow-up.  No real instructions other than watch for vomiting or a headache and activity as tolerated.  I didn't google.  All was well.  Mild concussions are not really uncommon.

My 12 yo dd had one in December from jumping with a horse. She didn't fall off or anything like that but had a large jolt - is the best way I can describe it. She started having symptoms that night including being very tired (which isn't unusual from riding) but was also sick to her stomach and had a headache. I didn't immediate put all the pieces together - actually it took me a few days. She slept for about 14 hours that night and then was asleep again within an hour of waking in the morning and slept pretty much the whole day. By 4pm that afternoon she was seeing flashing lights, she was dizzy, and she had a crazy bad headache. I thought at that time that she was having a very bad migraine and spoke with the doctor via the phone. Since she hadn't fallen off the horse I didn't really think about concussions until over the weekend when she still couldn't stay awake. We ended up going to the ER on Sunday (injury was Thursday night) and the doctor wasn't too concerned. It was a horrible visit but at point he probably thought I wasn't a very good Mom given that it was three to four days later. He basically said to take her home to rest with no treatment and no diagnosis. I emailed her pediatrician that night and they responded very quickly and had her referred to a concussion clinic. We were able to get in early that week and the doctor said that she indeed did have a concussion and that her scores were quite low. She was put on complete brain rest and a prescription for the inflammation. We did follow up with the doctor for some time, I think she was finally released sometime in late February, two months after the injury. For those two months she was very sensitive to light, couldn't watch TV for more then a short period of time and was prone to headaches (and still is) and needed extra rest. I also noticed that the 2nd half of the school year was much harder for her then the first half in terms of how she was able to get through her day and how much help she needed.

In our experience the ER was no help but her Pediatrician really took it seriously. If you are not happy with the care that he got, I would push for another doctor to look at him. I didn't even have an idea that there was a whole clinic within our medical facility that dealt with concussions and I am very surprised that the ER doctor didn't know that or didn't think it was a good idea with a child to have her seen there. We were given great information at the clinic complete with daily check list to fill out and ways to track her symptoms over time. We really received a good amount of support and care going through this from the clinic.

In hindsight I actually think this was probably not her first concussion as the symptoms that she had didn't really seem to measure up to the actual incident that seem to cause it. I think it's much more likely that she had a mild one previous to this as the second one can be so much worse. I am surprised how long it took her to heal and really feel better.

I hope he heals quickly! I

We went to the ER two weeks ago because my youngest had a mild concussion from hitting her head on the concrete. She was sluggish, complained of a headache, and vomited 4x. The vomiting was what caused us to bring her in. She had a CT Scan and it came back negative/normal. We were told it was mild and that she should take it easy for a couple of days. She is fine. We did not go in for a follow up visit. They gave me information on what to look for if there is more of a problem.

I don't go online to look up medical advice. It's way to vague and only causes panic (ie. a pounding headache MUST be brain cancer).

My dd had a mild concussion nearly a year ago and I was also surprised by the casual attitude of the urgent care doc.  Even though it's mild, we should have made her rest more (we didn't at all, really, except for no electronics for a couple weeks)  and were told she could return to school the next day).  Eventually she ended up in a specialty clinic and did specialized physical therapy--it helped a little but I believe if she had just rested she would have recovered sooner.  She had headaches for months and still has ringing in her ears that I pray goes away some day.

You are right to take it seriously!!  I hope your son recovers fully and quickly!!

Concussions vary so incredibly much that I think it's hard to come up with any kind of general guideline. My husband had a ceiling fall on his head once. He had a concussion, had symptoms for about a day and a half, and then he was totally recovered. But this winter I fell on the ice and hit my head, and I was incapacitated for several days and symptomatic for two weeks.

I think you just have to be really responsive to symptoms, and give up on the idea that there's a standard protocol. There isn't.

A few months ago I was in a car accident where we were hit hard from behind which then also pushed us into the car in front of us.  I had my seatbelt on but my head and neck got a good jolt from the back and front collisions.  I immediately felt pain and pressure in my head and pain in my face, eye sockets, and jaw.  I went to a local walk-in clinic.  X-rays came back fine and I was told the head pain was from adrenaline and that I didn't have a concussion because I didn't hit my head.  The pain and pressure continued all week and I was sleeping a lot.  I then went to my own doctor and was told I had post concussion syndrome.  And, yes, you absolutely can get a concussion without actually hitting your head.  She told me to get a lot of rest and limit activity until all symptoms were gone and to not watch too much TV, especially anything that was too stimulating like violence or action. She really wanted my brain to just rest and to keep quiet.  She even called me after a few days to find out how I was doing.  I was glad she took my symptoms seriously, even though they honestly weren't  bad compared to others. I was symptom free in a couple weeks.

my husband suffered a concussion last year in a car accident.  He was unconscious and still doesn't remember anything.   He is still dealing with some symptoms (forgetfulness & short-fuse when tired).  I would make your son rest through the weekend, absolutely. 

One thing that is important is that repeated concussions are really bad.   When our son (8 or 9 at the time) was hit by a baseball in the head - not too hard, but he did get a mild concussion - the doctor said that for a year he had to be extra careful.  If he got another concussion to go directly to the ER for monitoring.   I would recommend you be extra vigilant over the next year.  Kids can be such risk takers and not think a "little" bang on the head is a big deal.

Thanks for sharing your personal stories & suggestions.  We have him totally off electronics & movies until tomorrow.  He had headache on bending over the first day & then 1 or 2 mild, short lasting headaches this week which may have been the weather or may have been the injury.  He has been sleeping 12 to 14 hours per night and we are letting him.  He went to youth group Wed night but didn't ride his bike there.  His main symptoms these last few days seem to be tiredness and he feels foggy.  He seems alert, but occasionally a little spacy for a few seconds.  He's been on self-imposed rest the last few days.  Yesterday he read a lot with no problem.  Basically the doctor said he can return to activities as tolerated & call him if he gets new or worsening symptoms.  I'm at peace with that. 

I've learned a lot about concussions this week.  And one of the things is yes, you can get a concussion without hitting your head.  I'll share more later, when I have time.  Right now, ds just got up and I want to spend time with him.

He wants to go to a movie with a friend, then to the friend's house, then a youth group activity tomorrow.   I'm worried it might be too much at once, but the poor guy has been cooped up for a week.

Thanks for sharing your personal stories & suggestions.  We have him totally off electronics & movies until tomorrow.  He had headache on bending over the first day & then 1 or 2 mild, short lasting headaches this week which may have been the weather or may have been the injury.  He has been sleeping 12 to 14 hours per night and we are letting him.  He went to youth group Wed night but didn't ride his bike there.  His main symptoms these last few days seem to be tiredness and he feels foggy.  He seems alert, but occasionally a little spacy for a few seconds.  He's been on self-imposed rest the last few days.  Yesterday he read a lot with no problem.  Basically the doctor said he can return to activities as tolerated & call him if he gets new or worsening symptoms.  I'm at peace with that. 

I've learned a lot about concussions this week.  And one of the things is yes, you can get a concussion without hitting your head.  I'll share more later, when I have time.  Right now, ds just got up and I want to spend time with him.

He wants to go to a movie with a friend, then to the friend's house, then a youth group activity tomorrow.   I'm worried it might be too much at once, but the poor guy has been cooped up for a week.

I am glad he's doing better but be careful with the movie. I waited almost two months to let dd to go to a movie and even then I think it was too much with just the level of noise and lights on the screen. She seemed okay during the movie (I kept checking on her prepared to leave early) but it wasn't until after that it really seemed to affect her. Might depend on the movie though too.

It really depends on the severity of the symptoms and you know him best. My dd didn't even want to go out in the car since it was too bight and even watching TV she would shut the blinds in the house so it was dark. We were told no friends, no phone, no sleepovers but then her symptoms seem to drag on. Sometimes she would be really anxious to get back to her normal and other times she realized that she didn't feel well. I would probably allow the friend's house but skip the movie.

ETA: There is some great info from folks in this thread..ironically I posted it after I took her to the movies nearly two months after her injury. There is some info in the thread that you might find helpful.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/503616-concussionis-this-typical/

My 5 yo was in a sledding accident last winter and had a concussion. He was literally knocked out and unresponsive for a good ten minutes. We spent the weekend at Children's. MRI's, CT, you name it. The doctor was wonderful and gave us lots of restrictions, even though he was feeling better within a few hours. No TV or electronics, no rough play, follow up with the pediatrician, etc. 

OTOH, right after he left the nurse walked in and offered him a movie.  :glare:

I think the reaction really depends on the person you're talking to and their understanding of head trauma. They're starting to show in studies that concussions lead to other issues later but not everyone may have that information. 

Our son had two weeks of cognitive rest.  After that, it was impressed on us how extremely important it was to protect him from a second head injury.  A second head injury before the first one has fully healed can cause a swelling reaction that can be life-threatening.