Menu

Chocolate chip cookies

Night Elf

I'm sure I asked about this before. I'm trying to follow the Toll House Cookie recipe. My cookies turn out bready, not ooey gooey. MIL uses shortning so I switched to that and it helped only a little. I can reduce the amount of flour, but what else can I do? Do I want to increase the baking powder or baking soda? What on earth makes a cookie ooey gooey?

Okay, I mixed it until the flour was gone and no more than that, and that worked because they turned out super yummy. Not bready at all. Now I have to send the bulk of them with DH to his office so I don't eat too many. I was craving one cookie and had to make a batch. :)

Okay, I mixed it until the flour was gone and no more than that, and that worked because they turned out super yummy. Not bready at all. Now I have to send the bulk of them with DH to his office so I don't eat too many. I was craving one cookie and had to make a batch. :)

It was in the name of science!

I'm sure I asked about this before. I'm trying to follow the Toll House Cookie recipe. My cookies turn out bready, not ooey gooey. MIL uses shortning so I switched to that and it helped only a little. I can reduce the amount of flour, but what else can I do? Do I want to increase the baking powder or baking soda? What on earth makes a cookie ooey gooey?

I use butter. I bake at 350, NOT 375. I bake 8 - 9 minutes. No other changes.

Alton Brown's Good Eats show had an episode, 3 Chips for Sister Sarah, about how certain ingredients affect the outcome when making chocolate chip cookies.  Here is a link to some of the recipes from that episode:

http://www.arctos.com/cookies/

Check it out, and if you can find the Good Eats episode it's well worth watching.  (I loved that show.) 

Alton Brown also has a few cookbooks out that are more about methods used in food prep than recipe collections.  I've found them rather instructive, and have even loaned them out to friends.

• This recipe beats Toll House cookies any day of the week. I found this recipe years ago. Give it a try.

Chewy, Jumbo Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients:

• 3 1/4 Cups all-purpose flour

• 1 Cup cake flour or 1 cup all-purpose flour less 2 Tbs

1 tsp. Baking powder

1 tsp. Baking soda

1 1/2 Cups butter

1 Cup white sugar

1 Cup brown sugar

2 Eggs

1 Tbs. Vanilla

2 Cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. 1 Mix all dry ingredients together.

2 In a stand mixer, mix together butter and both sugars.

3 Add egg to sugar mixture.Mix fully

4 Add vanilla to sugar mixture. Mix fully

5 Add dry ingredients to sugar mixture. Mix fully

6 Add chocolate chips. Mix gently.

Use 1 Tbs to scoop and form cookie dough. Space 2"