Menu

Post nasal drip, anyone suffer with this?

Prairie~Phlox

What AVA said.  I thought I had seasonal allergy problems and then stopped drinking milk for other reasons (was nursing a baby with eczema).  My post nasal drip went away.  When I eat ice cream (no more milk drinking at all), it returns so bad that it wakes me up at night. I can drink kefir with no problem.  I eat a bit of cheese with no problem. 

It is very likely connected to a food intolerance, as others have already indicated. The post nasal drip is often associated with dairy, but is simply a sign that your immune system is struggling on some level which is often due to an ongoing food intolerance.

My suggestion would be to start a food diary and include physical symptoms and well as mood changes in it, this can be a very helpful tool in determining which is the offending food. You may also try a two week dairy elimination diet in conjunction with the food journal should give you a very good idea of what the offending foods are.

Good luck!

Ok, I have been reading & noticing a few things, it was really bad last night, I also have had a sore throat for 2 days, so that hasn't helped. Yesterday, I had quite a bit of homemade bruchetta, so very acidic. This morning things were better, but I made up fire water (acv & a few other things) and am having trouble again. I took some tums & it seems to have helped. So what are the chances this is actually acid reflux causing my PND. I've dealt with this for years, dr's usually just change up allergy meds, give me nasal sprays. I have never asked about reflux or has it been mentioned. Any thoughts?

Post-nasal drip since at least high school. ::heavy sigh::

I eliminated most dairy accidentally when I started MediFast a year or so ago. After some months I realized that I was not nearly as congested as I used to be. Then last summer I had allergy testing done, and it turns out I'm allergic to dust mites. o_0 I put a dust mite-proof pillow cover on my pillow, started taking Allegra at night, and added Flonase in the morning. It has been like a religious experience, lol.

A couple of thoughts...first we (you) need a broader picture than just the last 12+ hours, but based on what you have said: tomatoes are in the nightshade family and can trigger inflammation/response in many people. There could be a bruschetta connection.

Acid reflux, at it's heart, is a digestion/low stomach acid OR food intolerance problem. My husband was on prilosec for 10 years before going gluten free. We are now 5 yrs with no prilosec! To test whether or not it is a low stomach acid issue, try drinking a small glass of water with a good shot of ACV in it before you eat. This will stimulate your stomach acid to do it's job properly. The trick here is to get down the ACV in a small amount of water as too much water will dilute the stomach acid.

I think you are on the right track though...keep notes and pay close attention to how you are feeling after eating. Document everything and the answer will become pretty clear.

PS eating after 7 and the acid reflux issue are not really connected unless there are extenuating circumstances but in those cases AR at bedtime is a symptom of other issues, like weak digestion. That should be resolved rather than adjusting eating patterns. IMHO.

I have it so bad that sometimes I wake up during the night not breathing.  It's almost like it cuts off my airway and it's very scary.  I've been doing this off and on for 5 years.  I'll just sit straight up in the bed out of a dead sleep and it takes me a couple seconds to start breathing right.  Hate it!

It could also be allergies to air-borne things like dust, mold, cat/dog hair, pollens, flowers, etc. My post-nasal drip decreased significantly when we started keeping the cats out of our bedroom. I'd probably look at air quality before checking food things.

Ok, I have been reading & noticing a few things, it was really bad last night, I also have had a sore throat for 2 days, so that hasn't helped. Yesterday, I had quite a bit of homemade bruchetta, so very acidic. This morning things were better, but I made up fire water (acv & a few other things) and am having trouble again. I took some tums & it seems to have helped. So what are the chances this is actually acid reflux causing my PND. I've dealt with this for years, dr's usually just change up allergy meds, give me nasal sprays. I have never asked about reflux or has it been mentioned. Any thoughts?

Mine was related to reflux. When the reflux was fixed, it went away. My doctor told me they happen together a lot. It's your body's way of trying to protect you from the acid. The drip, as well as a strained/irritated/full feeling in my throat were my only symptoms of reflux.

Mine was related to reflux. When the reflux was fixed, it went away. My doctor told me they happen together a lot. It's your body's way of trying to protect you from the acid. The drip, as well as a strained/irritated/full feeling in my throat were my only symptoms of reflux.

What did your dr put you on? If I might ask.

What did your dr put you on? If I might ask.

Prilosec. I took it for two weeks and never had to take it again.

Now if my reflux gets bad I'll switch to a mostly-liquid diet: puréed soups, mugs of hot chicken broth, smoothies, applesauce, etc. I think in my case my body needs a "digestion break."