Menu

the first few chpaters of math...

Since we school year round and start the next book whenever we finish the last one, I've often had to skip some things in the beginning. For example, by Singapore 5, my son really didn't need a lesson on place value. He demonstrated thorough knowledge of it on a daily basis and never got any place value related problems wrong, so we skipped the chapter on place value. Yes, they introduced the next thing that year (billions, maybe?), but DS had been using billions, and beyond, for a few years at that point.

When we used Math Mammoth, I let him do chapter tests to skip a chapter.

I don't expect to skip anything in Prealgebra or higher, of course. But elementary math, yes, I'm fine with skipping things that are clearly already automatic for the child.

I tend to overestimate what a student has retained, so no, I don't skip. With Saxon–a double, triple "No!" There is new content ingeniously hidden in problems that I cannot see. The program is designed around review. Review is the main goal.

We usually finish up our math program at the end of May. Then we start next years program in June using it a few days a week all summer as a review. By the time September rolls around we are on lesson 41 and new material is starting to be introduced. We use R&S.

We do the whole book. I don't see why everything has to be a challenge for my kids. Sometimes it's good for them to see that they're good at something and that it's "easy". If they're constantly at their limit - pushing and being challenged - I think that can be pretty demotivating.

We do the whole book. I don't see why everything has to be a challenge for my kids. Sometimes it's good for them to see that they're good at something and that it's "easy". If they're constantly at their limit - pushing and being challenged - I think that can be pretty demotivating.

This is a good point, but it does depend on the psychology of your kids. Consider this, OP. Is your kid going to enjoy having math be easy, or are they going to start balking because it's easy?

This is a good point, but it does depend on the psychology of your kids. Consider this, OP. Is your kid going to enjoy having math be easy, or are they going to start balking because it's easy?

Yea, my kids all ask "Why do we have to do this....we already ready know it?"  they don't like to both with stuff they already know...that is not just in math...but in all subjects...this is why I am asking this question...

No, but if it's that easy, sometimes I'll double up on lessons.

Review is important! Just because a book is below your child's reading level, doesn't mean they will not get benefit from reading it. Or if your child is learning a tricky Chopin piece on the piano, doesn't mean they shouldn't occasionally play some Bach sonata they learned a few years before. There's always work to be done on improving accuracy or speed or fluency of an already learned skill.

Yea, my kids all ask "Why do we have to do this....we already ready know it?"  they don't like to both with stuff they already know...that is not just in math...but in all subjects...this is why I am asking this question...

Yeah, with kids like that I'd let them test out. My personal opinion.

I certainly have times when I have my kids do something easy just so it's not all hard. In fact, my oldest has done CLE 500 alongside AoPS Prealgebra all last year. The CLE was all review and very easy, but it was short and quick and he got beefier problems later in the day. That said, when he was earlier in elementary math, spending a while chapter on a basic topic he fully understood drove him nuts and bored him to tears. So skipping was the right thing at that point in time. He was automatic in those topics, and by testing out, he was getting review (the test contains those problems!).

Know your kid. I agree that not everything should be challenging, but if you have a mathy kid, often the new stuff isn't that challenging either, so it's a good idea in that case to do a few problems for review and move on.

Yea, my kids all ask "Why do we have to do this....we already ready know it?" they don't like to both with stuff they already know...that is not just in math...but in all subjects...this is why I am asking this question...

We test out for all subjects. If my boys know it, they have to prove it. We just do the chapter tests. That doesn't take that long.

Depends on the age of the child. For my bright child who loves math but was not yet brain-mature enough for the abstract thinking of Algebra, we did all of the lessons in the lower math books- needed SOMETHING to fill the time until the brain was ready.

If we switched math books/curriculum/programs, we always did the beginning just to get a feel for how the book "works" and that was easier to do with stuff they already knew.

But Saxon, with the first lessons about "What is a number?" :ack2:  Never did those.