Menu

Who understands Savings Bonds?

J-rap

I was going through some old papers today and found two U.S. Savings Bonds to a couple of my kids for $50 each.  I've never quite understood how these worked.  Should my kids cash them in?  Have they reached their potential value?  One of the bonds is 12 years old and the other is over 20 years old!  Is there any point in holding on to them? (I mean, not yet cashing them in yet?)

We had a similar situation last year.  Interestingly, I couldn't find a bank who would cash them.  They weren't mature yet, so I didn't want to cash them at the time anyway, I just wanted to know what to do with them down the road.  The banks I contacted said it was a paperwork "nightmare" and wouldn't cash them when the time came.  I didn't look any more into it. 

Ugh, that doesn't sound good.  Dh always said I was being a curmudgeon because I wasn't thrilled with how his grandmother always sent our kids a $50 savings bond for their birthdays and Christmas.  But not even the actual bond; she keeps it in her safety deposit box and they get a piece of paper saying she bought one for them.  Yay.  How fun is it to get a gift that maybe one day will result in some money?  LOL

OK, trying not to be a jerk, but it's like over $1000 for my 2 oldest and now it may not be easy to get the money?  Great.

We've never had problems cashing savings bonds.  That's weird that any bank wouldn't.  Indy and Han Solo have a stack of bonds each.  My dad bought Indy and $200 savings bond every month since he was born.  He's done the same for Han Solo.  The early ones can be used for college because they'll be mature by then, and the others can be cashed later when they mature.  By the time Indy gets to college, the earliest ones will be worth over $20000.  That's a lot.  After they mature, they continue to earn interest up to a certain time (at least the kind of bonds we have do), so they'll actually be worth more than face value by then.

We have a tone of bonds that we started buying when we first got married, and some are already mature, while others will be in a few years.  They are worth a bucket load.  IMO, they're better in some ways, because it's money, but you can't spend it, like you would if you just put the money up.  Cash is always a temptation.

Our son will be cashing his in (~$1800) to pay for next year's college tuition.

Does everyone recommend cashing them at a local bank, or is there a direct way to cash them with the U.S. Treasury Dept. and get more proceeds?

We live in a small town, and I'm guessing they may not be thrilled about cashing them as well.

I guess I'm hijacking this thread . . . but am clueless!

Wow

Mine is only slightly over the face value, but I was surprised that after such a relatively short period of time that was the case. So maybe that really IS how it works?

So I just asked my mom (because she knows everything) and she said that they earn interest for 30 years and 4x the value is about right for the ones I have. She knows mine specifically because they were gifts from her parents and lived in her safety deposit box until I left home. So thank you Grandma and Grandpa.

My credit union has cashed savings bonds without a single grumble. 

If you don't want to deal with a bank, go to US TreasuryDirect.  You can transfer your paper bonds to a digital account and then cash them in.  The Treasury will forward your dollars to your checking account electronically.

I have never experienced any hassle with bonds--which I bought ages ago and which my son inherited.

So I just asked my mom (because she knows everything) and she said that they earn interest for 30 years and 4x the value is about right for the ones I have. She knows mine specifically because they were gifts from her parents and lived in her safety deposit box until I left home. So thank you Grandma and Grandpa.

Hmmm... so does that mean we should wait 30 years before we cash them?  I don't even know if we'll remember them anymore, by then.

Hmmm... so does that mean we should wait 30 years before we cash them? I don't even know if we'll remember them anymore, by then.

Like Kinsa said, that will depend on the series of the bond. They all have different things. My grandparents gave me the bonds for a specific purpose, so they chose ones that would work for that purpose.

Hmmm... so does that mean we should wait 30 years before we cash them?  I don't even know if we'll remember them anymore, by then.

Do you need the cash? Otherwise your bonds may be paying an interest rate that is higher than your bank or credit union. You can research this on Treasury Direct.  (Note:  new bonds are not paying much but some of the older bonds are paying more.)

Do you need the cash? Otherwise your bonds may be paying an interest rate that is higher than your bank or credit union. You can research this on Treasury Direct.  (Note:  new bonds are not paying much but some of the older bonds are paying more.)

No, don't need the cash, and they belong to my daughters (although they probably don't even remember  :)).  I was more just trying to understand how they worked, since I happened to run across them.

I have never had a problem cashing savings bonds.  That is weird that the bank would not cash them.

They earn interest for 30 years so to get the maximum amount stick them in your safe deposit box and forget about them. 

I believe they are worth face value after 12 or 15 years.  I can't remember.

I am a believer in savings bonds.  Thanks to my bonds we were able to cash them in and have the down payment for our house.

My fil gave the kids a $50 EE bond each birthday and Christmas.   Those are basically worthless though when I was growing up, more than one friend cashed them in at graduation and received a load of cash!

The oldest bond from 1997 will mature in 2017 (HOLY COW BATMAN) and right now is only worth 43.50.   I was told by the bank, the treasury would at least honor the face value when they mature because it looks like they won't reach face value by the time they mature.  They are only of any value if you wait until the 30 yr mark to cash them in.  When he is 30, the newest ones from this year will still not hit the mature mark.  So for us, they are rather pointless.   He may just cash them all in and take  his 1000.00 and put toward a cheap car or his first semester of college or gamble it on aggressive stock market investments.  It makes me sad because my FIL thought he was going to fund the kids college with them.  Not going to happen unless something drastic happens with the interest rates.  One of the few times I think the money he used to purchase the bonds would have been better spent at the stock market.   

here's a link  http://www.savingsbonds.com/bond_basics/ee-savings-bonds.cfm

My fil gave the kids a $50 EE bond each birthday and Christmas.   Those are basically worthless though when I was growing up, more than one friend cashed them in at graduation and received a load of cash!

The oldest bond from 1997 will mature in 2017 (HOLY COW BATMAN) and right now is only worth 43.50.   I was told by the bank, the treasury would at least honor the face value when they mature because it looks like they won't reach face value by the time they mature.  They are only of any value if you wait until the 30 yr mark to cash them in.  When he is 30, the newest ones from this year will still not hit the mature mark.  So for us, they are rather pointless.   He may just cash them all in and take  his 1000.00 and put toward a cheap car or his first semester of college or gamble it on aggressive stock market investments.  It makes me sad because my FIL thought he was going to fund the kids college with them.  Not going to happen unless something drastic happens with the interest rates.  One of the few times I think the money he used to purchase the bonds would have been better spent at the stock market.   

here's a link  http://www.savingsbonds.com/bond_basics/ee-savings-bonds.cfm

Interest rates have been abysmally low whether from the Fed or your local bank.  It is probably a better idea for a young child's college savings to be in mutual funds although I know some folks lost their shirts during the tech crash of the 90's or the most recent economic downturn.

Parents need to decide how much risk they can assume with college funds.  If the answer is "not much" then I suppose either a CD or savings bond at 1% might be the way to go.

My son inherited bonds that were earning 3 and 4 percent.  After the most recent downturn, those interest rates looked pretty good.

my grandmother was a big supporter of 'savings bonds".  dh, with his finance background, despises them.  their interest rates suck (for starters.)  my grandmother gave me some as a baby gift for 1dd.  dh immediately cashed them out, and put them a long term something with a higher yield.

you can cash them out at anytime, but that doesn't mean they will be worth the "face" value.