Menu

Using SOTW 4 for 7th grade? Or something else?

Hi,

I am considering going back to SOTW for book 4 for next year for my 7th grade kiddos.  I know that there are a few areas that I want to add additional info.-like the World Wars, Vietnam, etc.  Or is there an easier way to go about doing this time frame combining world/american history?  I am open to ANY suggestions

Thanks soo much

pam

Hi,

I am considering going back to SOTW for book 4 for next year for my 7th grade kiddos.  I know that there are a few areas that I want to add additional info.-like the World Wars, Vietnam, etc.  Or is there an easier way to go about doing this time frame combining world/american history?  I am open to ANY suggestions

Thanks soo much

pam

My middle schooler loves SOTW, but uses it along with TOG readings. The SOTW activity book does have extra assignments in it for middle schoolers, though, and lit suggestions. If you used it along with these other resources, or Sonlight ideas or History of US books, I think it would be fine.

You could use it as his reader and then have him outline the corresponding sections of Kingfisher.    I like using "below" level books with grade level materials.  I think they are able to learn more when they have easy and harder things to delve into.  Even for myself I like reading children's non fiction to narrow down a subject until I decide what I want to research. 

I used it as supplemental readings with my 8th grader. I used K12 Human Odysey 3 as the main text for our 8th grade year. I supplemented with HoUS, People's History of the US and SOTW4. We focused on world history, but spend several weeks on the US Civil War and the US civil rights years. We also supplemented with some great documentaries such as Ken Burns "The Civil War", and Eyes on the Prize, Makers, etc

My kids would have been downright offended if I'd assigned SOTW in 7th. *shrug*

Human Odyssey volume 3 from K12 would be more age appropriate and not need so much supplementation.

Or you could just do straight American history and read something like Gombrich's Little History on the side. :)

I don't think it's light.  It's pretty dense, honestly.  It's more that it's very cursory for this age about a whole series of eras and events that just scream for in depth discussion and thought.  But with good extra readings, it could be fine as a spine.

I don't think it's light.  It's pretty dense, honestly.  It's more that it's very cursory for this age about a whole series of eras and events that just scream for in depth discussion and thought.  But with good extra readings, it could be fine as a spine.

I agree. There is a lot going on in those chapters. We used it in fourth grade as well, and it was the first text that was a bit of a challenge. I remember there being lots of directed narrations because the information in the chapters was so dense.

I certainly didn't see it as much different in reading level from K12 Human Odyssey 3.

Along with K12 Human Odyssey, it is also great for outlining.

we used SOTW vol 4 along with Hakim's History of US for 7th grade.  I added some literature and writing assignments.  We also used the SOTW activity book.  It was one of our best history programs.  Paula's archives has a list of additional literature and a nice chart to coordinate Hakim's and SOTW.

You might want to look into Biblioplan Year 4. It schedules SOTW 4 along with many other spines, and it adds literature, Bible, geography, video and craft ideas, etc. It is for all grades/ages. There is also a newly formed facebook group for it that is fairly active. :-)

My fall 7th grader would not use it.  He did it already and remembers it well.  I might have gotten away with it if we didn't use it the first time around, adding supplemental reading at a higher level here and there.  Are you saying you already did it once the prior cycle?  If so, I wouldn't personally use it again unless your child doesn't remember it very well. 

Have you looked at History Odyssey by Pandia Press?  It appears to combine US and world at the modern level.  I can't vouch for the modern level as we did use SOTW our first cycle, and we used History Odyssey Ancients for this past year (level 2 for my 6th grader and level 1 for my youngers).  I did like their layout and chosen books for level 2 ancients at least, feeling it was challenging enough for him on his second history cycle.  In ancients at least, level 1 used SOTW but level 2 did not, relying primarily on Kingfisher History Encyclopedia and The Story of Mankind fleshed out with topic-specific works.

we used SOTW vol 4 along with Hakim's History of US for 7th grade. I added some literature and writing assignments. We also used the SOTW activity book. It was one of our best history programs. Paula's archives has a list of additional literature and a nice chart to coordinate Hakim's and SOTW.

What are Paula's archives? I'm very interested in this.

I think these are Paula's archives.  Here are her SOTW links.

FWIW, I plan to use SOTW4 with my dd#2 a year from this fall. We skipped volume 4 in favor of a year of US history so none of us have ever done that one. This will be dd#2's second time through SOTW3 this year and I don't anticipate any complaints that it is too babyish. 

Just as a thought in the back of my head- I still have the new BookShark grade 7 reading with history in mind for 2015-2016. It will not be out until August, but it is a secular version of the corresponding Sonlight core and uses SOTW 3 and 4 in one year. 

Intelligo currently has unit studies for WW1 and WW2. It looks interesting, but unless they complete The 1800's and After 1945 it will not be on my radar.

Connect the Thoughts History 8 and History 9 look like they cover the period you want. This is another product that I have as a thought in the back of my head for 2015-2016, our grade 7.

HTH-

Mandy