Menu

WWYD Amazon

Carrie12345

I recently placed a bunch of orders on Amazon.  I'm not liking that they're now using both FedEx and UPS (and, of course, USPS still) b/c the FedEx truck comes early and the UPS truck comes late.  Which is totally beside the point, but I wanted to share that annoyance, lol.

Anyway, I noticed I was missing a book that I had ordered as a gift for dd's birthday next week.  I checked the site and it claimed to have been delivered at the same time as my routine 40lb cat litter.  But I brought the cat litter box in and there definitely wasn't another package, so I clicked on the replacement option in the order tracking section.  It was the first time I've had to do that, and I was happy with how hassle free it was. Because I HATE trying to contact Amazon.

Fast forward to this morning, and I opened the box my 40lb bag of cat litter came in. Lo and behold, the small, soft cover book was squished on the bottom of the box.  Seriously?!?

Now I feel half guilty that a replacement is on its way when the original was indeed delivered, but the original is now a slightly squished gift.
I feel like I should let Amazon know the item did arrive and wasn't lost by the carrier, but I also think I'm already entitled to the replacement because of extremely poor packing choices.

WWYD?

I used to be annoyed with trying to contact amazon until I realized you can chat with them. It is very easy and a great way to communicate fast.

They will probably tell you to keep the new book. But so as not to feel bad I would probably contact them and tell them what happened.

I would contact them and tell them that the item was indeed in the package but because of the poor packaging it was slightly destroyed and is no longer gift giving quality. They will likely let you keep both copies.  But they do appreciate info regarding packing issues because they try hard to fix things like that so they don't continue to happen to others in the future

Guest submarines

I would contact them and tell them that the item was indeed in the package but because of the poor packaging it was slightly destroyed and is no longer gift giving quality. They will likely let you keep both copies.  But they do appreciate info regarding packing issues because they try hard to fix things like that so they don't continue to happen to others in the future

:iagree: I recently had to contact them via chat because my GF flour bags were ripped, and their customer service was great. They appreciated letting them know and send a replacement right away.

Let them know about the packaging issue, and that the book was damaged. It will take you 5 minutes to chat on-line, and you'll be done.

Are you sure? When I've had to return damaged/defective things, they'll give me a label and schedule a UPS pickup at no charge.

And if it's a UPS prepaid label, you can hand it to your UPS delivery person when they come to the door, even if you don't have a scheduled pickup. I do this all the time to save myself a trip to UPS. (This might be a commentary on how often UPS brings boxes to my door 😄)

Oh, no! I just realized it isn't even USPS (we don't have mailboxes here.) It's UPS. And not a pick-up. "Take this package to a UPS location."

10 miles away.

:cursing:

Ten miles? You will not go by that store or another anytime in the next two weeks? Are you walking with toddlers? What is the big deal?

Ten miles? You will not go by that store or another anytime in the next two weeks? Are you walking with toddlers? What is the big deal?

I have no reason to be out that way, though I suppose I could make one up.  Nearly $4 in gas to return a book that costs $8.50 and wasn't ruined by me is kinda a big deal, imo.

But I'll probably see if dh can drop it closer to work.

I think you should stake out the UPS truck and give it to the driver.

Oh, no! I just realized it isn't even USPS (we don't have mailboxes here.)  It's UPS. And not a pick-up.  "Take this package to a UPS location."

10 miles away.

:cursing:

I have no reason to be out that way, though I suppose I could make one up.  Nearly $4 in gas to return a book that costs $8.50 and wasn't ruined by me is kinda a big deal, imo.

Wait, I might be a bit confused. Does your vehicle only get 10 MPH is that where you get $4? Not being snarky, just confused. 

Though I completely get driving a vehicle that is stupid insane to fill. 9-12 MPG. I sobbed when gas went up.

ETA: I ditched that van and got something else.

I have no reason to be out that way, though I suppose I could make one up. Nearly $4 in gas to return a book that costs $8.50 and wasn't ruined by me is kinda a big deal, imo.

It's ridiculous that you should have to drive to the UPS store to return the book, and I'm sure if you chat with a different Amazon rep, he or she will tell you to keep the book or that they will send a UPS call tag for it.

There is no reason you should be penalized for your honesty in this situation, and you should make a point of letting Amazon know that if the rep gives you a hard time. You could have simply kept the damaged book and Amazon never would have known, but you were honest with them, so you expect good treatment in return.

I doubt you'll have to go that far, though -- just let them know you received the return label and realized that it's not a call tag, and ask them to send the call tag instead. Tell them it's not convenient for you to drive to the UPS Store. I'm sure the rep will be happy to help you. (And make sure you click on the "email me a copy of this chat" button, so you have a record of the conversation.)

Oh -- and if you end up dropping it off at the UPS store, make sure you get a receipt.

It's ridiculous that you should have to drive to the UPS store to return the book, and I'm sure if you chat with a different Amazon rep, he or she will tell you to keep the book or that they will send a UPS call tag for it.

There is no reason you should be penalized for your honesty in this situation, and you should make a point of letting Amazon know that if the rep gives you a hard time. You could have simply kept the damaged book and Amazon never would have known, but you were honest with them, so you expect good treatment in return.

I doubt you'll have to go that far, though -- just let them know you received the return label and realized that it's not a call tag, and ask them to send the call tag instead. Tell them it's not convenient for you to drive to the UPS Store. I'm sure the rep will be happy to help you. (And make sure you click on the "email me a copy of this chat" button, so you have a record of the conversation.)

Oh -- and if you end up dropping it off at the UPS store, make sure you get a receipt.

And pack it in the same giant box in which it came. ;)