Menu

Need book series recommendations for my 8yo

I need fiction suggestions! My 8yo is almost done reading the Black Stallion series. Others he has read in the past few months are:

Harry Potter series by Rowling

Dragon series by Yep

Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, and Tales from the Perilous Realm by Tolkien

Chronicles of Prydain by Alexander

If I don't give him something new to get into, he'll just continue to reread Harry Potter and Tolkien until they fall apart. While he'll read other types of fiction, those sorts of books are where his heart lies. He really, really likes series. He likes to stay with characters for awhile and immerse himself. Any suggestions?

Inkheart series by Cornelia Funke. Right.up.his.alley!

Seconding Dark is Rising series--beautifully written, Arthurian legend bent.

For an easy read, the Sisters Grimm series is pretty well done, and funny. He needs a backround in fairytales, though.

City of Ember series is pretty good.

Seconding Mysterious Benedict Society.

Umm....oh! 100 Cupboards is ok.

The Indian in The Cupboard series is good, too--but we only read the first.

I think the Castle in the Attic series is ok--very easy for your son, no doubt.

Another vote for The Dark is Rising - it's meaty, but if he liked Prydain, he can do it.  Inkheart is great too - a little dark at the end though.

Actually a lot of the great fantasy series are aimed slightly higher, so it sounds like he's not a sensitive kid, but some of them are a bit on the dark side for an 8 yo, so just to be aware.  Not inappropriate, just sort of dark.

Um...  Others...

Edward Eager's Magic series that starts with Half-Magic

Gregor the Overlander

Percy Jackson

Septimus Heap

Redwall

Fablehaven

TA Barron's Merlin series

Crestomanci

Another vote for The Dark is Rising - it's meaty, but if he liked Prydain, he can do it. Inkheart is great too - a little dark at the end though.

Actually a lot of the great fantasy series are aimed slightly higher, so it sounds like he's not a sensitive kid, but some of them are a bit on the dark side for an 8 yo, so just to be aware. Not inappropriate, just sort of dark.

Um... Others...

Edward Eager's Magic series that starts with Half-Magic

Gregor the Overlander

Percy Jackson

Septimus Heap

Redwall

Fablehaven

TA Barron's Merlin series

Crestomanci

Yes, definitely not sensitive in most aspects. He cried when his favorite Harry Potter character died, but other than that, hasn't had any problems with what he's read. He did attempt the Silmarillion, but said it was too confusing and he wasn't ready for it.

My boys are almost 9. We are in the middle of The Mysterious Benedict Society and Chronicles of Narnia series. Thet are loving both of them. One of the boys is reading The Spiderwick Chronicles and Bunnicula series on his own time and enjoying those.