Menu

Student Driving run amuck

PuddleJumper1

dd and I worked in large empty parking lots for several weeks. Then on neighborhood street during non busy times. She's going to take a behind the wheel class too this summer before we finally trade in the learner's permit for the real thing.

He stepped on the gas too hard hit the building. Then put in reverse and stepped on the gas too hard again and...

This why you start in the big empty parking lot (high school lot in summer evenings for us). I got whiplash in the parking lot while starting stopping was being learned.

Depending on the state, if the older sibling was 18 it's probably legal.

Well, that's a questionable idea, for sure.  :001_huh:

Glad it's not legal here, even if it would be convenient and my oldest is a good driver. 

Okay... Is it even legal in some places for older siblings to teach the younger ones to drive?! It sure isn't here. You have to be the parent or legal guardian. 

In our state, the supervising driver needs to be at least eighteen and licensed in the state.  I did let our oldest daughter drive with her big brothers when she had her permit.  

in our state - the supervising driver is supposed to have had their lisence for at least five years.  (and unsupervised new driver's aren't allowed to drive with unrelated minors in the car for six months. iow: they can haul their younger siblings, but not their friends.)

Okay... Is it even legal in some places for older siblings to teach the younger ones to drive?! It sure isn't here. You have to be the parent or legal guardian. 

This would get you into a lot of trouble in Michigan. Parent or guardian until level 2 license and then another licensed driver over 18. However, no matter what, the first big HIT is the DING, DING, DING, DING, DING, that says "Stop!"

Just wow. :smash:

In our state, the supervising driver needs to be at least eighteen and licensed in the state.  I did let our oldest daughter drive with her big brothers when she had her permit.  

It appears in this situation the teen had never been behind the wheel. That's TEACHING which is not the same as supervising. I am assuming a student driver would have to demonstrate basic competence (not running into buildings and stuff) to get the permit? 

I would not want to teach someone to drive from scratch, and I am a competent adult driver (with 25+ years on the road). I am more than happy to pay the driving school. 

Dh and I teach driver's ed to our kids at 18 because our insurance goes up just HUGELY if we license them prior to that. It's down right high way robbery!

So, we start with the book work, and they take the written exam. Passing the written exam gets them a permit they must drive on for I think at least 30 days with another licensed driver. We make them drive 90 days before we get their license.

We begin in the church parking lot which is very large and set up road cones. We practice all kinds of maneuvers, backing up, turning, parking, passing my parents parked mini-van (dad is always good about volunteering to help and so is my brother), etc. We then move to quiet, paved side roads that have limited traffic, then to main roads that still have limited traffic at certain times of the day, followed by driving in the busy times, night driving, and then I-75 or I -69. It's rather incremental and designed to build confidence.

The local driving schools are $500.00, and frankly, from what many parents report, it's a bit of racket because they really don't feel that the schools are very good.

After that they take a road test which is required for first time licenses in Michigan. DD took hers and immediately began commuting back and forth to college. Two years later, she took her ambulance driving training as a paramedic and drove rigs all over the place without incidence so my guess is dh and I do a pretty good job teaching driving.

Our middle boy has already tried out some driving in the parking lot and on one side road (dh felt he was ready early) and he's got great, natural instincts. Our 17 year old is actually just a little disconcerted about driving and nervous about getting his license next year so he may drive more than 90 days with us after he gets his permit.

One of the things I do appreciate about our locality is that in a rural, low population area, it's easy to get your child a lot of driving experience without having to introduce high pressure, heavy traffic driving from the beginning. After our four days in Manassas, I can honestly say that I would NOT want to teach anyone to drive in D.C. area traffic. Oh my word!!! It's awful and many of the drivers must be mentally ill or something because the amount of cray, cray on the roads was staggering. I think Midwestern drivers are just generally more laid back or something. Sheesh. I think I know where road rage comes from now!

After our four days in Manassas, I can honestly say that I would NOT want to teach anyone to drive in D.C. area traffic. Oh my word!!! It's awful and many of the drivers must be mentally ill or something because the amount of cray, cray on the roads was staggering. 

This made me snort coffee this morning!  :)

I learned to drive in DC area traffic, and we've got one kid down, 2 to go.  It's a circus, that's for sure.

This made me snort coffee this morning!   :)

I learned to drive in DC area traffic, and we've got one kid down, 2 to go.  It's a circus, that's for sure.

That's where I learned to drive, as well.  My first day of "behind the wheel" class we were on the beltway, at rush hour.  I was fairly certain we were all going to die.  That said, if you can learn to drive in traffic like that, you can drive anywhere.  

The first time I took my D.L. test (and yes I got nervous and ran a stop sign partially covered by a willow tree so I had to take it again :( ) there was a teenage boy ahead of me.  He was trying to parallel park.  They had this spot where the curb indented in the size and shape of your average parking space, plus a tree planted on either end for visual reference I guess.  He was obviously extremely nervous.  His hands were shaking.  He backed in slowly.  I guess he decided it was too slowly because then he hit the gas, plowed over the curb, hit the tree, panicked and threw the car into drive, leaped forward and hit the other tree, panicked again and hit reverse where they ended up on the grass.  The instructor was shouting something the whole time but the windows were up so I have no idea what...but I can imagine.   I felt so sorry for that kid.  He and a bunch of his friends were all there with their parents together to take the test.

I think teaching driving in the country is much easier.  My guys rode dirt bikes, 4 wheeler, tractors way before cars LOL.   They were able to get a feel for a car in a open field nothing to damage.

But also since we live in the country before we take them for license I make sure they clock in time in the closest major city Birmingham and then they have to do the dreaded Atlanta system.  I figure they get through Atlanta they are ready for a license LOL

I teach all the driving then before the license day they have to ride with Dad in Atlanta.   Birmingham isn't congested and crazy like Atlanta.  The Birmingham traffic has slow, delay and the malfunction junction the interstate combo from the hippie  stoned acid trip  road of civil engineer  design LOL   I will say once you memorized all the different road which one dead end and go were ever the heck. The thing is easy to drive but when I was younger I avoided the dang thing.  I took the long way on the downtown roads LOL

But its bad day is about a comparison with a average day in Atlanta