Menu

Present for a tricky four year old

Annie

My guy is turning four on Saturday, and I was going to get him this foam pogo stick type thing that you can use inside. Unfortunately, when I went to order it a couple days ago, it was out of stock. :-( I'm at a complete loss about what to get him. I pretty much need it to be something I can order on Prime at this point. The problem is that he doesn't play really. He never uses his toys. He has cars, a barn with animals, a castle with knights and horses, trains, blocks, and puzzles. He uses none of it. He will play with the trains for maybe 15 minutes a day. His favorite "toys" are flashlights, a measuring tape and a hard hat. He likes to color on occasion. He loves hard work like shoveling dirt, cleaning floors, moving branches, etc. What he really needs is a farm, but we're on a one year assignment in a small apartment with no outdoor space. :-(

He does love books and audio books. My sister is getting him Winnie the Pooh on audio book, and he'll love that.

The only thing he asked for was a top (the spinning kind), and I've got that covered. :-)

So, please, do you have any awesome ideas? I'm at a complete loss, and I need to order in the next few hours!

Dd7 is the same. Very few indoor toys hold her interest. She likes outside things like balls rackets bats nets bikes scooters plasma cars trikes. (Sorry comma not working).

If u are on the bottom floor and have hard floor surfaces maybe look at scooter boards. They are a hard plastic platform with wheels and come in different sizes but we have the one that is maybe 12 square with handles. The kids scoot around on it sometimes but most often it became a way to tow things around. Boxes were roped on and a Wagon created. A stuffed animal towed around like a train. Whatever game they were playing it was brought in.

I had thought about wood and nails, but I'm afraid the noise would bother our neighbors. We're already not the quietest apartment dwellers, and I feel like it may be pushing our luck...

He does have a Melissa and Doug toolbox that he will mess around with on occasion, but he doesn't really like to pretend to fix things. He says that he likes *real* work. :-)

I wish we could do one of those bouncing balls, but looking around, I just don't see the space. We're pretty cramped here. It's been hard to get used to. :-\

Experience gifts are great for kids who aren't as much into toys.  For one of my girls, my husband made a gift certificate to go get some fruit dipped in a chocolate fountain - the kid loved it!  And all of her sisters have asked for the same gift on their birthdays.  :)

Does he have a marble/ball run? 

When my DS was about that age we got him a rechargeable flashlight/spotlight.

Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-SL1M09-1M-Series-Spotlight/dp/B001U04M7Q/ref=sr_1_8?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1398875642&sr=1-8&keywords=rechargeable+spotlight

He now has his own bucket with lots of tools including a rechargeable drill.

Big magnifying glass and kids binoculars?

I agree, I bought a magnifying glass, toy binoculars, bug box, and similar items for ds one year he still likes them. There was also a little "explorer" vest by those items in the toy department. He wears the vest all the time.

He catches bugs and then looks at them for awhile  then he lets them go.

Can you take him to a place like Pump-it-Up ? (Inflatable bouncy place) or one of those indoor Trampoline places? (experience)

Maybe wrap up a spoon and when he unwraps it tell him he gets to go get a sundae for lunch or some other treat? (My kids love those yogurt places where you add your own toppings.)

I second the recommendation on those hoppy balls.  Big fun.  On a side note, we do have the foam block pogo-stick and it's been a bit hit, but we paid half what it's going for now on Amazon…so just watch it.

What about a plasma car or something he could ride inside?

We haven't tried Playmobil. I figured since he never played with his barn and animals or castle with knights, he wouldn't use the Playmobil. I might be wrong... He never makes characters talk to each other.

I considered the Megnatiles. Do you think the smaller set would be ok to start with? I have no problem buying the bigger Ser if he uses them, but I don't know if he will.

This is the only Jr Snap Circuit set I'm seeing, and it says 8+. Is there one I'm missing? I feel like he'd love something like this. He's a bright boy, but he can't read, and his fine motor skills are about average for his age.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CIXVITO/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1398875737&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40

Absolutely! My dd4 has had that set for a year, and has several add on kits now. They are a lot of fun.

In fact, this weekend we were at a huge science museum where they had a table full of snap circuits for the kids to play with. I was quite suprised at all the littles who were interested and seemed to have them at home:)

I will say, the schematics are pretty clear, with pics. My dd can read fluently, so I never thought about it...but I just rechecked and I don't think reading is necessary at all! If he can picture match he will be fine, and after a few tries he will be an old pro:)

Magna-Tiles® Clear Colors 100 Piece Set by Valtech llc http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CBSNRY/

They're very cool, and they're supposed to be more fun with a light table.

Has he tried any Playmobil?

Yes! I had my dad purchase these for my kids at Christmas. They are one of the few things they play with daily. They are spendy, but I think there are some generic brands. I don't know how strong the magnets are, though.

Just for future reference, he might like one off those archeology kits that have an object buried inside a block of plaster of Paris. You have to work hard to break apart the block and that might keep him occupied for a while.

My parents are getting him one of these! I do think he's going to like it!

I know I'm late but can't resist piping up...

I saw some cool sand at Michaels the other day..Kinetic Sand...it's like permanently wet sand.

I also wonder if real cooking would appeal...I love Pretend Soup by Mollie Katzen...it has recipes laid out for kids to follow and great tips so kids can really cook.

Thank you guys so much! Crisis has been averted! He will be getting a top, under the foot stilts and Megnatiles. :-)

I'm still interested in knowing if there is a Snap Circuit set for the under 8 crowd!

I also wanted to say we have Magnatiles and my dd4 loves them. Since you have limited space, here is a way to make a pretty cool (and cheap!) light table to extend the fun:

Use one of those flat, shallow storage bins with either a translucent or white top. Inside, put a string or two of white Christmas lights, and Voila! A light table. You can drill a hole through the side for the cord if you like, but you don't have to:)

Thank you guys so much! Crisis has been averted! He will be getting a top, under the foot stilts and Megnatiles. :-)

I'm still interested in knowing if there is a Snap Circuit set for the under 8 crowd!

Glad the crisis is past!

I just went and checked our sets and must apologize. I remembered the ages wrong; I didn't see any of our sets with an age lower than 8. My youngest son, who is very engineering minded, was able to make the projects from the Jr kit around age 4-5 as a non-reader. (Which is likely why I thought the lower age was 4!) The pictures in the instruction manuals are very clear, so if you think your son would like it don't feel it would be beyond him before he is reading.