Menu

It's Tor:Con 9, what did I put in the shelter?

trulycrabby

Why, our homeschool curriculum and record keeping books! :o

Yes, helmets, food, water...I'm originally from Oklahoma and don't get nervous until the freight train arrives. :)

Just heard the first rumble of thunder ahead of the storm. We are in north Alabama.

Hope everyone stays safe today! :grouphug:

Fortunately, our homeschool materials are stored in the basement pantry, which is also our shelter. :) The line of storms always seems to follow a path that includes my town. Ds's orchestra rehearsal was NOT cancelled tonight, so he will be driving home during the worst of it. I'd have made him stay home but it's his last theory class and he has used up all his rehearsal absences. He has a good head on his shoulders and I know he will pull off the road and find shelter if things get ugly.

Fortunately, our homeschool materials are stored in the basement pantry, which is also our shelter. :) The line of storms always seems to follow a path that includes my town. Ds's orchestra rehearsal was NOT cancelled tonight, so he will be driving home during the worst of it. I'd have made him stay home but it's his last theory class and he has used up all his rehearsal absences. He has a good head on his shoulders and I know he will pull off the road and find shelter if things get ugly.

Hope he stays safe! :grouphug:

Hey - we are in North Alabama, too. It's already getting nasty. Just heard reports of a large tornado on the ground one county over. Yikes.

Yes, that large tornado was well north of us. I think that's the largest one Ive seen hit that area. Long night ahead of us. Hope you stay safe.

All you fellow North Alabama ladies!  We are here too.  We are a bit south of where it appears to be heading.  Stay safe! and listen to the weather.  Didn't know I had so many neighbors here!

Betsy

We are a bit south of the bad stuff, too. (Marshall County) Our trusty weatherman just announced that the bad stuff would probably get here around 11:00-12:00. YUCK!

We are a bit south of the bad stuff, too. (Marshall County) Our trusty weatherman just announced that the bad stuff would probably get here around 11:00-12:00. YUCK!

South Madison County.  Luckily DS1 is an amateur weatherman so he is keeping us informed :)  Trying to run dishwasher and laundry in case we lose power--when we had no power for 5 days 3 years ago, wet, stinky laundry was a big yuck--  I hope laundry is my biggest concern today.

Betsy

Helmets? I don't know anyone who puts on helmets when taking shelter. Did you buy these for this purpose, or are they your bike helmets?

We make sure everyone is dressed (pjs are okay) and has shoes and their own flashlight. That is pretty much it. I never thought of grabbing photos etc.

Praying everyone has a calm night.

Why, our homeschool curriculum and record keeping books! :o

Yes, helmets, food, water...I'm originally from Oklahoma and don't get nervous until the freight train arrives. :)

Just heard the first rumble of thunder ahead of the storm. We are in north Alabama.

Hope everyone stays safe today! :grouphug:

So...if we have a tornado warning, can I call it school? :)

Of course!  Here in OK if you hear the siren you don't go to the shelter, you run outside to watch and see if the weatherman is right.  You get to learn about weather first hand that way.

Helmets? I don't know anyone who puts on helmets when taking shelter. Did you buy these for this purpose, or are they your bike helmets?

We make sure everyone is dressed (pjs are okay) and has shoes and their own flashlight. That is pretty much it. I never thought of grabbing photos etc.

Praying everyone has a calm night.

Football helmets, batting helmets, bike helmets, what ever you have on hand to keep heads protected from flying debris. A few years ago there were things blown hundreds of miles away. Our yard was full of of insulation and lumber from who knows where. 

Football helmets, batting helmets, bike helmets, what ever you have on hand to keep heads protected from flying debris. A few years ago there were things blown hundreds of miles away. Our yard was full of of insulation and lumber from who knows where. 

:iagree:

Saw an interview with a resident of Joplin who put a helmet on her son's head. He was hit in the head with a flying toilet and lived. The helmet was severely cracked. I'm sure you can find the interview, but I'll never forget that! I put our bicycle helmets in the shelter if tornadoes are predicted. My family thinks I'm crazy but obviously it saves lives! 

Praying for you all in the south! I very much dislike living in tornado alley in the spring! 

What Excelsior said! We step outside and look around when the sirens go off (then ds and I take shelter while dh stands on the front porch gawking). Usually several neighbors are out on their porches looking around too.

We do that sometimes in Mississippi as well, but it is pointless because all we see are trees everywhere. I usually don't mind the weather, but today was pretty stressful. We have a tremendous amount of damage here. Those of you in Alabama, stay safe!

So now I know why no one commented about Limestone Co.  I've been talking to my friend up there.  She said LC seems to be getting the worst of it, and 2 dead so far.  She's fine.  Her dd just got off work, right as another siren sounded.  Waiting impatiently for her dd to get home.   Will be sending a nasty letter to offices of a certain food chain for not allowing them to close early.   Stay safe everybody!

Of course!  Here in OK if you hear the siren you don't go to the shelter, you run outside to watch and see if the weatherman is right.  You get to learn about weather first hand that way.

I used to do that too, but stopped because tornadoes here are usually wrapped in rain. As a kid in OK, we would go outide and watch them whenever we could. :o

We have had at least two deaths in the next county. :(

We do that sometimes in Mississippi as well, but it is pointless because all we see are trees everywhere. I usually don't mind the weather, but today was pretty stressful. We have a tremendous amount of damage here. Those of you in Alabama, stay safe!

Mississippi got hammered. Seems like some places got multiple waves of tornadoes. :grouphug:

I hope those of you in the line of fire are ok and my sympathies to the families of those who weren't.

My oldest lives in the severe watch area, but it seems like his area was spared this time.  Three years ago it hit all around him (along with a gazillion other places that time).

I'm hearing of 5 confirmed deaths this morning. 2 in Limestone Co, 2 in Lincoln Co (just over TN state line) and 1 in Tuscaloosa (I think it was a UA student athlete.)

Another round begins around lunchtime today. Hopefully it won't be as bad as last night.

:grouphug:  I hope everyone can stay safe...

So now I know why no one commented about Limestone Co.  I've been talking to my friend up there.  She said LC seems to be getting the worst of it, and 2 dead so far.  She's fine.  Her dd just got off work, right as another siren sounded.  Waiting impatiently for her dd to get home.   Will be sending a nasty letter to offices of a certain food chain for not allowing them to close early.   Stay safe everybody!

Yeah, that is where some of the worst that I know about happened, so I didn't want to say anything. So glad your friend is okay!!

One of the many benefits of homeschooling, letting everyone sleep in after the 2am party in the hall last night.  I don't think there was any major damage in our area, but they were seeing rotation in on of the storms that passed about a mile south of us.  Hopefully we make it through round 2 this afternoon unscathed as well.