Menu

What does "dress rehearsal" mean to you?

Danestress

Say a youth orchestra is performing on Wednesday.  On Monday they have regular rehearsal in the regular place they practice.  Tuesday is a "dress rehearsal" in the performance venue.  Wednesday is the performance.

Would you send your child to the dress rehearsal dressed in the required performance outfit?

I would ask-- I have a band leader that would make us have a full dress rehearsal the day before so he could make sure we had all our clothes up to his standards and had time to purchase if they were not up to par.   He also made us leave the clothes there so no one left stuff at home. -- This was usually before something important like a competition though.

Interesting! In theater dress rehearsal is full dress (ime, anyway). There are also technical rehearsals which take forever because all sound and lighting settings are finalized. But I would never have guessed that a "dress rehearsal" wouldn't include dressing up for music performance folks. I learn new things here all the time!

Orchestra dress rehearsals are done in regular clothing.  There really isn't anything to rehearse with concert clothes except trying them on at home vs. a theater/opera/ballet/marching band(?) performance where the costumes are an integral part of the performance and may have "issues" that need to be fixed before the performance.

Well every mother in town knew that orchestra dress rehearsals are done in street clothes except me, lol. My kid wore the tux:). I wish I had known to even ask, but 'dress' rehearsal seemed self evident to me!

I wouldn't have known either.  Hey, if that is the worst parenting mistake you make today, you're doing okay!!

Dress rehearsal for an orchestra or choir - wear regular clothes.

Dress rehearsal for a theatre performance or opera OTOH does include the costumes because you move differently. I would assume that for a dance performance dress rehearsal would also include performance attire - because one moves differently. But playing an instrument is the same whether you wear jeans or tux.

See, that was not my experience and I have done many musical shows.

When you say 'musical shows' do you mean musical theater or do you mean an orchestra or band?

Dress rehearsal for a choir or orchestra or band, IME, is just a performance level run through of the material. They stand/sit on the stage, learn where they come in etc etc. I have also seen kids asked to bring their dress clothes to show that they have them.

A dress rehearsal for dance or theater is full costume and make up. A blocking rehearsal is usually in practice clothes but with props, a tech rehearsal is with props, full or partial costume, but no make up.

I have all of these different kinds of rehearsals, musical and dance, this week so this is me:

:willy_nilly:

See, that was not my experience and I have done many musical shows.

You say shows not performances...if movement/dance or acting were involved, I would expect costumes unless otherwise specified (my DD has done dress rehearsals for dance without costumes, but the rehearsal notice specified no costumes). Choirs, orchestra's etc. would typically default to no costume unless otherwise specified. At least everywhere I have been.

ETA cross posted w/ redsquirrel

Well every mother in town knew that orchestra dress rehearsals are done in street clothes except me, lol. My kid wore the tux:). I wish I had known to even ask, but 'dress' rehearsal seemed self evident to me!

I'm sorry! They should clarify for first time performers, your assumption was entirely reasonable for someone without orchestra experience and you're definitely not the first person to make that mistake.

I'm sorry! They should clarify for first time performers, your assumption was entirely reasonable for someone without orchestra experience and you're definitely not the first person to make that mistake.

He has actually been in the orchestra for two years. This is the first performance, thorough, with our city orchestra and the first time i recall a 'dress rehearsal' unless it was in the hours before a performance.

It's no big deal though. He took it in stride. He is not so self conscious that this would upset him, but I just thought you would all agree with me. Now I know better;)

My child's orchestra "dress rehearsals" do not require dress clothes.  It is weird that they chose to call them that!  The last flyer the put out about this clarified they did not have to wear dress clothes for the final rehearsal.