Menu

Holocaust movies for age 11?

Based on another recent thread, we watched Paper Clips this morning. Very powerful documentary, and well done.

I'm looking for other movies/documentaries on the Holocaust that dd11 can watch. She is mature, and she has read The Boy on the Wooden Box.

It's been a long time since I saw Life is Beautiful. Anyone know if this one would be okay to show her? Any other recommendations?

I would second "Life is Beautiful", but with a girl so young, I would pre-watch everything about the Holocaust as the visual images are so shocking. Here's the link to the trailer of "Life is Beautiful".  My understanding is that this true story is written by the starring actor, about his own father's experiences.  1997.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16RZHqCIy9M

I went through the Holocaust Museum last summer and was weeping at every exhibit.  It was all just too much.

And I read this WTM thread earlier today:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/512175-i-might-have-gone-too-far-with-mature-content/?hl=%2Bholocaust&do=findComment&comment=5602632

I remember reading "The Hiding Place" as a 6th grader, and was fine with it.  (Book by Corrie Ten Boom)

Then my mom took me to see "The Hiding Place" movie, and I had bad dreams for several days.

Our kids then watched the movie when they were 13-15 yo and were moved by the plot, but not horrified by it.

We also recently watched one with "Lady Mary" from Downton Abbey in it.
"The Courageous Heart of Irena Sendler"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB71UaX3_hc

It's a Hallmark Hall of Fame movie from 2009.

And "Hidden in Silence" with Kellie Martin from 1996

Again, the subject matter is so distressing, but the plots of these are hopeful.

Yes Life is Beautiful is an excellent movie! You might preview it first.

Some other ideas:

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

No Place on Earth(This is an excellent documentary. One of my favorites on this topic, and I have seen a lot.)

Nicky's Family

The Hiding Place

The Island On Bird Street(It has been awhile since I watched this one so I can't remember if there was anything inappropriate for that age.)

Forgiving Dr. Mengele

Auschwitz Inside the Nazi State is very well done and informative but I would say for Highschool+. It is very detailed.

It is extremely graphic, but my son saw the Anne Frank movie that has Ben Kingsley playing her father, and appreciated it without nightmares from it.  I recommend it highly, but would suggest parental previewing to decide if your particular child would be able to handle it.

I think Life is Beautiful is a wonderful movie and saw it more than once, but would be concerned about giving a child an impression that the holocaust was comedy, perhaps.

Based on another recent thread, we watched Paper Clips this morning. Very powerful documentary, and well done.

I'm looking for other movies/documentaries on the Holocaust that dd11 can watch. She is mature, and she has read The Boy on the Wooden Box.

It's been a long time since I saw Life is Beautiful. Anyone know if this one would be okay to show her? Any other recommendations?

Where did you find Paperclips?

We recently watched "The Boy in Striped Pajamas"... only a few days after watching "The Hiding Place".  My 11yo was fine with "The Hiding Place", but after the shocking ending of Striped Pajamas (which left us all just as speechless as it did the first time we saw it years ago), my 11yo said very emphatically, "I will never watch that movie again, and I won't make my kids watch it, either!"  :crying:

My son, an 8th grader, watched Life is Beautiful and found it compelling. He knew perfectly well that it was unrealistic and a very sanitized version of the holocaust, but it sufficed. He also read Maus and that was much more 'grown up' approach to the subject. I don't think I would have an 11 year old read that. 

Before he watched Life is Beautiful we watched "Ken Burns: The War" which is available to stream on Amazon. It is included in Prime. Again, not sure it would be appropriate for an 11 year old.

I had forgotten Paper Clips, maybe we will watch that before the school year ends.

**contains spoiler**

I would let my 9 year old watch Life is Beautiful (it's my favourite movie) but in his case with no background of Holocaust(we're on the Ancients--ugh) he would be confused and I would have to keep explaining. But there is nothing really graphic about it, if I recall. SPOILER:

When father is killed, it is done behind a wall and not really shown, you just hear the shots.

**contains spoiler**

I would let my 9 year old watch Life is Beautiful (it's my favourite movie) but in his case with no background of Holocaust(we're on the Ancients--ugh) he would be confused and I would have to keep explaining. But there is nothing really graphic about it, if I recall. SPOILER:

When father is killed, it is done behind a wall and not really shown, you just hear the shots.

Thank you for your thoughts. I saw Life Is Beautiful in the theater when it first came out. I remember thinking it was one of the best movies I'd ever seen. I just couldn't remember if there were really inappropriate things for her. I know commonsensemedia.org says 13, but under what "Parents Say", they recommend 11. I might take the chance.