Menu

Converting playroom to what? Wwyd?

Indian summer

My kids have outgrown toys for the most part and I'd like to change their playroom space to something more useful. We don't need a school room, I prefer using main floor space for that. The playroom is over the garage and is huge at around 25'x30'.(750'sq.)The three kids are between 8-13y/o.

What would you do with the space if you were making it for kids these ages? I've talked to the kids, but two of them have no idea the third only asked for a snack area. Currently there is a tv and sofa set, lots of shelving. We're getting rid of most toys, toy boxes etc.

One of my girls suggested using a corner of it for her bedroom so she doesn't have to share with her sister. I'm not sure I want to renovate and add walls, but maybe a privacy screen? Idk.

Edited to correct the dimensions - I just measured and was way off.

The thought has crossed my mind to downsize to a new house because this room doesn't get used much and I don't know if it ever will.

My older kids would love an art area, cozy place to read, book shelves, some tables for games, etc. Do yours still build legos??

Do you have a wii or other video game system?

I like the art areas that are like built in counters with storage below and chairs that pull up like these:http://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=built%20in%20kid%27s%20art%20desk

What do they do in their free time? Depending on what they like, I'd try and use the room to encourage those pursuits. Or if that's not feasible, then I'd try and make it into a good hang-out for friends. 

*Art space

*Reading nook with bean bag chairs 

*Give each of them a corner/section and let them choose what it becomes

*Building area for Legos, Snap Circuits, etc. 

*Science area

Game room 

*Table for puzzles 

*Desks for each of them to do homework/have a place of their own to keep stuff, and a place to be quiet 

*Media area for watching videos

My older kids would love an art area, cozy place to read, book shelves, some tables for games, etc. Do yours still build legos??

Do you have a wii or other video game system?

I like the art areas that are like built in counters with storage below and chairs that pull up like these:http://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=built%20in%20kid%27s%20art%20desk

Oh, I really like the long counter with cupboard underneath, I could make three desks/art stations - we have two long walls like this that aren't functional for much else because of a slanting ceiling. :)

What do they do in their free time? Depending on what they like, I'd try and use the room to encourage those pursuits. Or if that's not feasible, then I'd try and make it into a good hang-out for friends.

*Art space

*Reading nook with bean bag chairs

*Give each of them a corner/section and let them choose what it becomes

*Building area for Legos, Snap Circuits, etc.

*Science area

Game room

*Table for puzzles

*Desks for each of them to do homework/have a place of their own to keep stuff, and a place to be quiet

*Media area for watching videos

Lots to think about there. We've done most of these but somehow the areas always get blended together into a big mess. (I don't go in there often enough to keep on the kids to maintain tidiness.)

One kid is more into gaming but the room doesn't have Internet access without moving the router which I don't want to do. The other two watch tv, do crafts, play with Lego, and ride their plasma cars there in the winter. They tend to read in other rooms, even though we once had a reading nook set up there.

The media center will stay, I'm thinking one long counter as three desks.

game room- pool, foosball, ping pong.

Media room

Office space for doing homework

Will keep the media corner and probably make office space. Dh wants a ping ping table, but I doubt it will get used much, so I'm not convinced. We have air hockey, but the kids never play it. They play pool at my sisters, but idk if the novelty would wear off or if I want their friends hanging out upstairs when they're teens.

My kids have outgrown toys for the most part and I'd like to change their playroom space to something more useful. We don't need a school room, I prefer using main floor space for that. The playroom is over the garage and is huge at around 25'x30'.(750'sq.)The three kids are between 8-13y/o.

What would you do with the space if you were making it for kids these ages? I've talked to the kids, but two of them have no idea the third only asked for a snack area. Currently there is a tv and sofa set, lots of shelving. We're getting rid of most toys, toy boxes etc.

One of my girls suggested using a corner of it for her bedroom so she doesn't have to share with her sister. I'm not sure I want to renovate and add walls, but maybe a privacy screen? Idk.

Edited to correct the dimensions - I just measured and was way off.

The thought has crossed my mind to downsize to a new house because this room doesn't get used much and I don't know if it ever will.

I don't know how the rest of your house is laid out but what about moving the girls to that big space to still share but have more room(thus maybe feeling more private) and using their current room for a media/hang out/office place?

If your girls share a room and don't want to, I would look into changing that. I realize that could be tricky because everyone would want the big room. Otherwise, unless it is very secluded, I would try to make it a hang out space for the kids to bring their friends over. I would rather have them hanging out at my house instead of someone else's. Or maybe put some exercise equipment in there.

I would definitely turn a section of it into a bedroom. As they get older, the desire for their own room is only going to get stronger, and you can make it happen pretty easily. 

This is a long-term solution, so I would try to go for something more solid than standard privacy screens. Depending on your location and the setup of the room, it may be affordable to hire someone to add a wall (it will be non-weight bearing, so not as complicated). 

If you google "how to divide a room" you will see plenty of other ideas. Tall bookcases can make a pretty good wall! You do have to make sure to anchor them safely. You can either decorate the flat back portion or just have two sets of bookshelves back to back. Tall wardrobes and such would work in a similar way. 

I don't think curtains offer as much privacy, but they do help. 

For the remaining space: arts & crafts area, music practice, space for you and/or dh, keep the media area. 

I personally wouldn't consider downsizing at this point. I find that older teens need more room, not less. 

I vote for teen hangout. As a teen my parents had the 'end room' with a bar fridge and couches and a pool table and stereo, it was awesome, friends loved it, and it meant we could have friends over without little ones running around since I had younger siblings. Also, it meant when I had friends, mum and dad could go on with day to day activities without their house being filled with teenagers. It gave us our own little space.

DH says table tennis table :)

Wait!  Indian Summer, you have an actual room that you don't need for the kids? 

Hey, gang we found a new clubhouse meeting room for the Hive!  Let's gather in her free room!  I'll bring nacho's and salsa!  Who's bringing the chocolate?

Seriously,  If I had an extra room I'd make it "The Teacher's Oasis".  The Principal of the homeschool could have admittance to the room, IF the teacher approved.  I would set it up with soothing music, a large table to plan on.  Shelves with all my teacher's manuals.  I'd install a mail slot where students could slip their completed work through and a double lock to keep the kids out when I wanted peace and quiet.  If it had a full bath, I might never leave!  Just slip energy bars through the door slot!

I vote for teen hangout. As a teen my parents had the 'end room' with a bar fridge and couches and a pool table and stereo, it was awesome, friends loved it, and it meant we could have friends over without little ones running around since I had younger siblings. Also, it meant when I had friends, mum and dad could go on with day to day activities without their house being filled with teenagers. It gave us our own little space.

DH says table tennis table :)

This is what we've done ( minus the fridge ) , and we LOVE it!   We have  comfy couches, tv, games, a couple of tables, puzzles, etc.  It's a great space to hang out but not so teen looking that adults don't like it.  

Edited by Artichoke

Wait! Indian Summer, you have an actual room that you don't need for the kids?

Hey, gang we found a new clubhouse meeting room for the Hive! Let's gather in her free room! I'll bring nacho's and salsa! Who's bringing the chocolate?

Seriously, If I had an extra room I'd make it "The Teacher's Oasis". The Principal of the homeschool could have admittance to the room, IF the teacher approved. I would set it up with soothing music, a large table to plan on. Shelves with all my teacher's manuals. I'd install a mail slot where students could slip their completed work through and a double lock to keep the kids out when I wanted peace and quiet. If it had a full bath, I might never leave! Just slip energy bars through the door slot!

I've considered using it for homeschool group stuff, but then I'd have to keep two floors of the house company ready. I can hardly keep on top of one. :(

I have a cozy little office that is all mine and dh has his man cave too, so I think I'll keep this one the kid zone.

This is what we've done ( minus the fridge ) , and we LOVE it! We have comfy couches, tv, games, a couple of tables, puzzles, etc. It's a great space to hang out but not so teen looking that adults don't like it. We also changed out the wooden door for a glass door so that the teens and adults both could have some privacy without feeling shut in.

This could work. I do like the idea of a glass door.

I would make it into a honeymoon suite for me and dh. Seriously, I did babysit for a family years ago who had their master bedroom and bath over the garage. It was cool.

I probably would make it into a teen hangout room like others suggested...with a section for a bedroom for the older girl. A homeschooling family we know has an awesome game room with ping pong, fussball, and I think a pool table. The kids loved going there.

This is what we've done ( minus the fridge ) , and we LOVE it!   We have  comfy couches, tv, games, a couple of tables, puzzles, etc.  It's a great space to hang out but not so teen looking that adults don't like it.  We also changed out the wooden door for a glass door so that the teens and adults both could have some privacy without feeling shut in. 

This is what I would do if it were on the ground floor, but I wouldn't want a group of teens (or kids) upstairs while we went about life downstairs. Partially b/c yes, I do want to keep more of an eye on them, and partially b/c I really only like guests to be in the uber public areas of the house.  

We had a teen hangout.  We didn't allow our girls to entertain boys in their bedrooms (and ds never asked since he grew up with the girls entertaining in the upstairs hangout).  It was a great place for the kids to hang out - they could watch movies or play video games while we did our own thing downstairs. The door was ALWAYS kept open and the ground rules included 'parents may show up at any time'.  We really only went up there when things got too quiet- that was more worrisome than kids being loud!  

The kids were responsible for the care and cleaning of the room- and they worked out who was going to clean it when. It was really good for them to negotiate with each other the scheduling of sleepovers, etc. (That was the designated sleepover room)

Now the kids are grown and it's morphed into a lovely guest room.  

So, I vote teen hangout.  And maybe divide part of it into a room for your older dd.  

Definitely a teen hangout/designated sleepover room type thing. I have three teens, and no place for them to hang out, other than their rooms, or our small living room. If they are in the living room, dh and I have no place to watch tv, or sit and surf the net. I've been trying to get them to help me clean out and organize the garage, so they have someplace to go. I would love to have that space!

When ds15 outgrew his play room we turned it into a "studio" since he's very into music. It has a fold out couch, tv, his older game systems (which he rarely even uses), and all of his instruments. It has his drum set, guitars, keyboard, amplifier, mic stand, music stand etc. The entire closet is converted to shelving, which holds bins full of other things that he does still use on occasion: blocks, cars etc.