Menu

Should I insist my kids slant their paper?

I have shown my kids many times that writing would be easier if they slanted their paper, but all three of them refuse to do it. I have two lefties and a righty and I'm showing them the right way for each of them and they just don't like it.

Should I insist? I cannot imagine writing on paper that isn't tilted sideways a bit, it's so awkward.

How about you? Are you a tilter? Do you suggest it to your kids? Do they listen?

I have a lefty and the only thing I care about is her hooking her wrist. She doesn't mind slanting the paper just forgets. I keep a slant guide underneath her handwriting paper so she can see the directions her letters should be going (cursive) but I personally don't press other times as long as her wrist is correct. She is starting to notice on her own when her wrist is positioned correctly its easier to see what she is doing when she slants the paper.

I insist with DS but not with my left handed DD because, for some reason I have not been able to figure out yet, she writes with a backward slant if the paper is tilted parallel with her writing arm, but upright if it's perpendicular to her body.

Eta that maybe I'm being too loose with my definition of "insist". If he is ever sitting at the desk to write I will insist on sitting up straight and tilting his paper (with him my concerns are more about physical tension) but more often he doesn't sit at the desk to write.

Depending on what style handwriting I'm teaching, sometimes the lefties aren't supposed to slant the paper. Be sure the paper is supposed to be slanted. Write with your own left hand, and check it out.

Mixing instructions from multiple programs sometimes is a problem.

I have never given this a thought.  So I pulled out a piece of paper and started writing.  I don't slant.  My daughter came into the room and I asked her.  She doesn't slant and doesn't remember being told to.  If I ever had told her to, she probably would have argued with me.  My husband came into the room and said he'd never heard of such a thing, or didn't remember and thought it was not something worth fighting about.  My son had no opinion.  :-)

We can all write legibly if not beautifully! 

I think most people develop their own writing style as they begin to write more (and are finished with handwriting instruction), so I'm not sure it matters in the long run. 

Yes. It's a hill to die on (if we're talking about slanting the paper when writing in cursive; we don't slant the paper when writing in manuscript).

I used to tape my dd's paper to the table. I also removed pages from workbooks so that they could be slanted properly; also, dd, who was right-handed, had started hooking her hand like a lefty so that she could write in the few workbooks we used, because it's awkward to write in workbooks while maintaining properly pencil grip, hand position, and posture. I think those are important.

::high fives with Angie in VA::

Your dc will get used to it and then it won't be a battle any longer. :D

When I teach a vertical hand, the paper is tilted to be parallel with the arm. When I teach a right slanted hand, the righties have an extreme slant and the lefties have none.

Is the handwriting slanted or vertical?

I don't care if the writing is vertical or slanted to the right. I hadn't considered the difference to a lefty. Thanks for pointing this out.

Depending on what style handwriting I'm teaching, sometimes the lefties aren't supposed to slant the paper. Be sure the paper is supposed to be slanted. Write with your own left hand, and check it out.

Mixing instructions from multiple programs sometimes is a problem.

Thank you so much for suggesting I try it myself with my left hand. I can see why my lefties prefer no slant, it seems to feel right. Except one of my lefty kids curls his hand, so maybe he needs to slant the paper? I don't care if they make vertical or slanted to the right letters as long as they are legible and hopefully not slanted to the left.

Yes. It's a hill to die on (if we're talking about slanting the paper when writing in cursive; we don't slant the paper when writing in manuscript).

I used to tape my dd's paper to the table. I also removed pages from workbooks so that they could be slanted properly; also, dd, who was right-handed, had started hooking her hand like a lefty so that she could write in the few workbooks we used, because it's awkward to write in workbooks while maintaining properly pencil grip, hand position, and posture. I think those are important.

::high fives with Angie in VA::

Your dc will get used to it and then it won't be a battle any longer. :D

All good points. I think I will insist with my righty. Still not sure about how my lefty kids are experiencing things. I may leave one be - the one who doesn't curl the wrist.

I have a lefty and the only thing I care about is her hooking her wrist. She doesn't mind slanting the paper just forgets. I keep a slant guide underneath her handwriting paper so she can see the directions her letters should be going (cursive) but I personally don't press other times as long as her wrist is correct. She is starting to notice on her own when her wrist is positioned correctly its easier to see what she is doing when she slants the paper.

I've never heard of a slant guide. Will have to look that up. I have one kid who hooks the wrist. I wish I could be a lefty for a week and see what it's like.

The slant of the paper depends on the slant of the child's writing. Even if you don't care what they do, you need to KNOW what they are doing, before you can decide the best slant of the paper.

There are handwriting styles that teach a left slant to lefties. It's something I considered, but chose not to use. One of my tutoring students has an EXTREME left slant.

I have found the Spalding font best for my lefties.

http://www.mychandlerschools.org/site/handlers/filedownload.ashx?moduleinstanceid=14444&dataid=10033&FileName=cursive_practice_sheets.pdf

Although Ellie is a Spalding Geek, she did NOT teach Spalding cursive and her instructions apply to a right slanted cursive hand, not the Spalding vertical cursive hand.

I slant for both manuscript and cursive. I think our teachers drummed it into us when teaching cursive. I haven't noticed with the kids (I don't home school). Ds4 hooks his wrist slightly despite being right handed so maybe it would help with him.

We have "reading position" - vertical, and "writing position" - slanted.  My right handed son needs to slant his paper fairly extremely to get any kind of decent slope in his cursive.  He cramps his letters and they steadily diminish in size if he doesn't slope his page.  My left handed daughter needs to slant but in the opposite direction, and not as extreme as her brother. 

If doing cursive-first, I like WRTR 6th handwriting instructions best, but if doing manuscript and then cursive, I've learned to appreciate the old WRTR 4th edition instructions by Romalda Spalding herself. The "less is more" instructions are better after manuscript. That woman really was a genius, and by the time she wrote her 4th edition, the instructions were super-duper field tested.

I don't know about a "hill to die on", but I take handwriting instruction VERY seriously. There is a LOT I do NOT take seriously, much to the horror of some people here. I remember a history thread not too long ago. :lol:

I've been called "The Handwriting Nazi" but it's with affection and I'm not sure what else, by people that failed to learn to write in cursive as a child, and are thrilled to be able to participate in this coming of age milestone, FINALLY as adults. All the little "hill to die on" things can mean the difference of an LD person being able to write in cursive or NOT.

Kiwik, there are many people that do slant their manuscript. There are hands that even teach that. If possible, it's a good idea to teach ONE slant for both, when teaching manuscript and then cursive.

DS is left-handed, and both DH and I struggled with handwriting as kids, so yes, I check his pencil grip and paper slant every time. He hooks his hand if I don't.

I was allowed to write without correction at a young age and developed a pencil grip that makes it painful to write more than a couple of sentences. I've never been able to change it. I'm trying to prevent bad habits for DS.

I recall doing this in ps. I never understood what the point was. My mom has the most beautiful writing I've ever seen and she didn't slant her paper. I never even thought about doing it with my kids and some write neat, some don't. But I also don't insist on cursive. If they want to learn it, fine. If not, that;'s fine too. Most people print when they write, and usually wind up with their own style as adults. Besides the only thing ypu can use cursive for (at least in my 42 years of life) is when you sig your name.

There are too many other things I would rather spend my time and effort on than worrying if their paper is slanted.

I also don't make my kids sit straight in their chairs, with their feet flat on the floor.

I am TOTALLY FLOORED that this is a "hill to die on". I've literally never heard of this in my own education or in any of my kids books. Wonder what else I'm missing?!?

Instruction on paper slant is at the beginning of nearly every handwriting (manuscript and cursive) program I've ever seen.

What on earth for??? If the writing is neat, who cares what angle the paper is?

Exactly.

I'm a lefty and all three of my kiddos are.

Stop insisting that your lefties do something they don't want to do!!!

I have to tilt my paper in an extreme way. It's nearly sideways. 

My oldest ds has to keep his paper nearly straight up and down.

My 6 year old will tilt a paper or workbook ever so slightly.

Nothing is more frustrating to a left hander ime than being forced to do something in handwriting (or sports!) that is uncomfortable. 

The only things I insist on in handwriting is pencil grip, and correct formation of the letters. If my ds starts an o from the bottom, I ask his to try again and go in a top to bottom, counter clockwise direction.

I also insist on posture, and using the not writing hand to hold the paper. None of my kids have a left handed hook to their wrist, but if they did, I would gently correct that.

But the tilting of paper or slanting of cursive letters is not a hill to die on. Some left handers or right handers need it, some don't.

I feel that you can give kids some initial instruction in a tilted paper, but eventually you have to allow them to write how it feels best for them.

I have had way too many tugging matches with a receptionist and a clip board! LOL. If you child has legible, neat handwriting, a proper pencil grip (pencil grip being my hill to die on), proper letter formation, and isn't having hand/wrist pain or discomfort...don't insist on something they aren't comfortable doing. 

I recommend ways to make writing more comfortable (good posture, slanted paper, proper grip) but ultimately leave it up to my kids. My daughter's grip looks so uncomfortable and odd, but she likes it and her handwriting is not suffering. I would not insist. The goal is good writing.

You can use it for leaving yourself notes, writing letters, your grocery list. Just depends on what you like. I print most often, but for mailing a birthday card or something, I may use cursive. I know, a lot of people just use email so it doesn't matter.

Not for legal papers such as mortgage papers, job apps, court documents, etc.

I teach caps in manuscript, and lowercase in cursive. Printed forms can be done in all caps. The post office prefers envelopes to be written in manuscript all caps.

So far I have not found one single document that is not covered by manuscript caps and lowercase cursive. That combination covers all situations.

:mellow: I almost always write in cursive and somehow managed to never notice most people printing. It's just another one of those moments when I feel more aware than usual of the rock I live under.   :blush:

I write in cursive too. It's faster for ME.

But I live among a lot of disabled people, so I see lots of EVERYTHING. I have friends that write mostly in all caps but have not even mastered that. At some point someone should have let them do all caps, and trained them to do that consistently and well. Instead it looks like someone tried to force more on them, and then abandoned them, under the guise of letting them "choose".