Menu

how many audio books do you own?

ProudGrandma

All of the classics are at Librovox; Call of the Wild, Treasure Island, Wizard of Oz, Tom Sawyer, etc, etc.  

Off the top of my head, these are a few we've "read" this school year via Audible or Overdrive, through the library:

Elijah of Buxton

Out of the Dust

A Year Down Yonder

Long Way from Chicago

The View From Saturday

Wrinkle in Time

Dear Mr Henshaw

Johnny Tremain

Justin Morgan Had a Horse

My Brother Sam is Dead

We have several:

The Bunnicula Collection:books 1-3 by James Howe and narrated by Victor Garber. Excellent narration! Mr. Garber does the voices perfectly.

The City Under the Back Steps by Evelyn Sibley Lampman. Cousins Jill and Craig mysteriously shrink and find themselves involved in the lives of the ants living in Craig's backyard.

Little Women narrated by Barbara Caruso.

Calico Captive narrated by C.M.Hebert.

eta - I now subscribe to Audible but usually only get books for me. the Aubrey/Maturin series narrated by Patrick Tull is hands down my favorite!

any recommendations for me?

Does My Head Look Good in This (DD13)

Water for Elephants (Adult)

The Help (Adult maybeee DD13, your mileage may vary deal)

The Odyssey and The Illiad (because I believe they were intended to be heard read and so you should whenever)

Room (Definitely adult but so so so incredibly well read)

At Home (non-fiction)

The Graveyard Book (a your mileage may vary prospect not sure what your kids can handle so read up on it yourself)

The Giver (mileage may vary)

Ronia, the Robber's Daughter (for everyone)

All of the Anne of Greengables books are good

As you can see I gave you some suggestions for just mom too :D

I own many but no so many as to be embarrassed. Total, I have about 25. About 10 are for the kids. Right now I am listening Longbourn. DD is still listening to Ordinary Princess. Her book is slow going because we only listen to it on occasion. My DS2 absolutely loves The Gruffalo, Where the Wild Things Are and Llama Llama Red Pajama loves.  My top 2 that I would recommend is Book Thief and Burial Rites.

DS loves the Percy Jackson books. He has 5 of them on audio. I haven't had a chance to get more.

Hank the Cowdog is one of his favorites but I am meh on them at best and homicidal about the 13th time I have listened to one disk in two day.

DS is currently begging for the first two Aliens on Vacation books. He has the third because the library didn't have it.

All of the classics are at Librovox; Call of the Wild, Treasure Island, Wizard of Oz, Tom Sawyer, etc, etc.  

Off the top of my head, these are a few we've "read" this school year via Audible or Overdrive, through the library:

Elijah of Buxton

Out of the Dust

A Year Down Yonder

Long Way from Chicago

The View From Saturday

Wrinkle in Time

Dear Mr Henshaw

Johnny Tremain

Justin Morgan Had a Horse

My Brother Sam is Dead

What did you think of My Brother Sam is Dead? My library didn't have it and I am not sure if it is worth buying or not.

What did you think of My Brother Sam is Dead? My library didn't have it and I am not sure if it is worth buying or not.

We loved it.  It's sad, though (obviously.  I mean, my brother Sam died, afterall)  But it lead to a lot of good conversation at our house.  And a fascination with the Revolution for a while...

I've never purchased an audiobook. That's what the library is for. ;-)

We're lucky to have a great library system with any audiobook we could ever want. The few instances I've wanted a book that they didn't have I submitted a purchase request and they bought it.

Right now my kids are loving the Gregor the Underlander series. They just finished book #2 today.

I wish our library had more....they have a few (like less than 10)...so I am extremely jealous of those who have access to more.   For those who pay for audilbe, is it really worth it....do you really get that many books to listen to?  IS there a way to see what they offer without paying for it...and even listen to a sample of various books?  thanks.

I wish our library had more....they have a few (like less than 10)...so I am extremely jealous of those who have access to more.   For those who pay for audilbe, is it really worth it....do you really get that many books to listen to?  IS there a way to see what they offer without paying for it...and even listen to a sample of various books?  thanks.

I feel that Audible is worth it, because they generally have good readers. They also have many of the more modern books that wouldn't be freebies on librivox. They do have a way to sample the books.

We have a ton of them too.

For those ages?  Hmm.  Percy Jackson series, Chronicles of Narnia, Robin Hood, King Arthur (there is one done by Sean Bean we love), How to Train Your Dragon (because they are done by David Tennant) Harry Potter (Jim Dale is excellent)