Menu

Did you complete a C25K program and actually run a 5K?

Samiam

I'm starting a Couch to 5K program on Monday at my local Y.   I actually started this week...went this past Monday thinking it started then, lol...so the person gave me the schedule and I've been practicing the first week (run 2 minutes, walk 4 minutes)..and about to die in the process, haha!

Anybody complete a  program and actually run a 5K?  Did you keep up with it and run additional 5k's?  

I'm thinking of setting a goal, and signing up for a 5K that is near the end of my 10 week program.   A little scared....I was looking at some and the starting lines photos are PACKED with people.  Seems scary to run in a huge throng of runners.    And now that I've been researching, I had no idea that 5K's were so pricey!  I'm seeing $30-60 around here for 5K's.   Nothing something I could do monthly...probably a quarterly type thing.   But I have found one...it's a rather popular one around here, and it's only $6 right now to sign up.  BUT it's the first week of May, so technically only 4 weeks into my training.....would that be totally foolish to even try it?   Photos showed that there were walkers too, so I guess I could walk a portion if need by.

What are your thoughts on 5Ks?

Yes, 3 years ago now I did C25K and then ran a 5k. My only goal was to run the whole way. Since I run at about 5 mph, my time was between 35 and 36 minutes. C25K actually only took me to the point of running 30 minutes, I believe, so the 5K part of C25K was a little misleading. We have now entered several 5k races as a family and always enjoy them. Even finishing at the back of the pack, I know I'm doing better than all of the people sitting on their couches at home! Finishing is a great sense of accomplishment. I still run a few times a week, but only about 25 minutes. If I want to do a 5K and run the whole way, it would take a few weeks to build up to running 35 minutes again.

Many races are in the $25-$35 dollar range, but we do have a few that are more like $5.

I ran one shortly after I finished C25K. I stopped shortly after and haven't run since.

This is almost my story, except that I have tried a few times to pick up running again in the years since.  

(I did the C25K 12 years ago when it was just this charted schedule on a page at coolrunning.com lol)

I signed up for a 5K the day I started a C25K program as motivation to stay with it.  I was able to run (slowly, but a run) the entire distance.  

Two months later, I ran a 12K.

Two months after that, I ran a half marathon.

I'm running another half in a few weeks (about 7 months after my initial 5K).  I also signed up to run back to back half marathons two days in a row for an additional challenge later this year.

I run at least 20 miles a week now and am trying to get up to around regularly running 30 miles a week.  

Be sure you check into local running club races.  Ours tend to be much cheaper than the color runs and other novelty races.  There was one here recently that you could bring a few cans of food for the food bank as your entry fee.  I recommend starting towards the back in your first race.  Let others be in the front line crowd.  I, personally, love racing.  It gives me something to get up in the morning and work out for.  It's fun to me to shoot for an improved time.  Entry fees do add up, but I figure that it is cheaper than a gym membership or a personal trainer that tons of other people pay for in order to stay in shape.  Running costs me nothing other than my one pair of shoes on a daily basis.  

You could definitely go ahead and sign up for a 5K even if you can't run the whole thing.  Most beginners start running way too fast.  Try running at a VERY slow pace.  It will enable you to go further.  You will naturally speed up as your endurance builds.  If you have a 5K a few weeks from now, you could try and run .5 miles this week, 1 mile next week, 1.5 miles the next.  You will be able to run further in the actual race because you will have adrenaline working in your favor.  I also would recommend going to a running store to get fitted for shoes if you haven't already.  Good shoes that fit well will make a big difference in your comfort level.  If you have a smart phone, there are several free apps that will track your run, give you updates of your pace, and create a record of every run you do.  I enjoy looking back over my runs to see how much farther/faster I can go now.  I like nikeplus.  Mapmyrun is another popular one.

Good luck!  I hope you enjoy it!  It definitely becomes much more fun as you run more and are able to run farther.

I did.  I ran a few 5k's, and I've run 3 half marthons.  I did C25k, got injured, then did a similar program that Runner's World had.  I was 38.  I'm now 44 and I still run. 

Enjoy the program and enjoy running.  And don't be afraid to take extra weeks in the program if you need to.  I pushed myself too hard with C25k, which is one of the reasons I got injured.  When I did the 2nd program, I repeated a couple of the weeks when I didn't feel ready to move on.  

Yep. I used it to train for the color run last spring. Loved it, ran a 5k easily. Took some time off when life got in the way and re-used it but only halfheartedly and ended up getting injured at my zombie run in October, almost broke my ankle. I am reusing it now to train and get my 5k base back, and after that I will move on to a 10k

ETA: check out Run The Edge too, they have various programs and they get really good reviews

My 10 yr old and I did it last fall. Our church hosts an annual 5k on Thanksgiving. I was very out of shape when we started. I think I would have been able to do the whole thing except that I badly sprained my ankle about a month before so had to take about two weeks off of running. I still completed the 5K and ran about 2/3 of it. I felt like that was a victory for someone who would have had a hard time walking it at the beginning of the program. 

As for the throngs of people, most 5Ks will tell you to do this, but you can line up towards the middle or back. The people who are fastest or most concerned about times will be at the front. Most races the time won't start until you cross the start line anyway so it doesn't matter if you are in the back of the pack as far as your time goes and if you are in the back you don't have to worry as much about the pace around you. Our 5K is really big, like about 3000 people on some tiny little neighborhood streets. It was crazy for about the first 3 minutes of running and then the pack naturally stretched out. After that there was just the right amount of people around to keep me motivated but not too many to feel crowded. 

Years ago I ran a marathon starting from nothing. I had a book - I think it was called The Non-Runner's Marathon Guide - and it told me exactly what to do. Seriously, I was a total non-runner. And then ran 26.2m at a go. It was awesome.

And then I quit running. And then started again. And then quit running. And then started again....

Dh got started, got ds into it, and then about a half year later I started.

I agree with the recommendation to repeat weeks if you need to and to walk during the actual 5k.

I've now run five 5ks. It's fun looking back at how I started and at how EXHAUSTING the first bits of running were. Much easier now :)

I think I ran my first 5k a bit too early - and it was a trail race, so extra tough. Depends on whether running a race really motivates you or not. The races are run and I always can go a bit faster and run a bit longer in a race than when I'm just running.

Good luck!

Sure did! I did c25k in fall 2010. Then went right into bridge to 10k later that fall. Spring 2011, I ran my first half marathon. In 2012, I ran two full marathons, and was running 40 to 50 miles per week. My favorite training run is a 15 mile route. ;)

In 2013, I got very sick (allergic reaction to an antibiotic that spiraled out of hand) and then my mom had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's, progressing rather rapidly, and my life became chaos, and I only ran sporadically, an hour here or there.

After several months of no running at all (moved Mom to our house a couple months ago, life is utter insanity), I did get out there twice last week, running four miles each time. I am getting back into it this spring. For sure.

So, yes, you can do it. Totally. Do it for yourself. No excuses. See every run as an imperative commitment. Don't rely on the group or friends . . . If they fail or quit, you continue. Solo runs are actually some of my favorite runs. Running with a group or a friend is also great, but solo runs can be super fun.

Go run!

Believe it or not, many people run/walk/run/walk during a 5K. Some people run for a while and then walk the rest.

Sign up for the one in 4 weeks and then do your scheduled C25K that day. I think around 4 weeks you start to run for 20 min and then walk the rest. Perfect!

Oh no, that is the dreaded infamous wk5 day3 run! How could you not know the exact day that first twenty min run occurs? I was so frightened the night before, I couldn't sleep! And I was so proud after I did it! The only prouder moments were after my first half, and after each of my fulls.

I will never forget that first twenty minute run. It sounded so impossible, and yet, following the plan, I did it!

(My training tip for c25k is to walk or bike or otherwise exercise on your non running days. It helps boost your fitness, making the runs more manageable. Also, slow the hell down. 13 min/mile pace is just great for c25k. Slower is just fine. My mantra was to just move my feet in a running motion, even if I was standing still. Slow down if it is hard, and it will be hard, so slow down! I never repeated days or weeks, but I did slow wayyyyyy down. When I switched to doing it by distance instead of time (last couple weeks), 5k was taking me forty or more minutes! Much more if hills were on my route. )

I started with C25K in Oct 2011 and am still running.  I've done dozens of 5ks, a couple of 10ks, a half marathon, and a marathon relay.  I'm a co-leader of my local area Moms Run This Town. To keep from going broke, save your money and join a local running group.  They'll have group runs and you'll get some of the best friends you've had in your adult life ;) 

There's no shame in walking, in fact, Jeff Galloway endorses a Run-walk-run method (google for more info). 

I wish I could have. :(  I did C25K last year and got to the point where I could run just over fifteen minutes without having to stop, but then all the running either caused or worsened my prolapsed bladder, so I had to switch to biking.  Which was probably for the best, because I'll be going carless and doing all my stuff with my bike/trailer this summer.  I'll be doing regular 5ks on my bike, lol.

The first two or three weeks were the worst for me, but don't give up!  It'll start to get easier, and soon you'll love it.  And don't feel bad if you have to repeat some weeks.  I did several times.