Menu

The minds of 9 year old boys...

idnib

One of the morning tasks my son has is to open the blinds in the dining room/homeschool room. We usually wake at the same time but a few days ago I awoke early and so opened the blinds myself for the sunshine. When DS woke up, he did his other chores like brushing, making the bed, etc. He then came into the DR/HS room and closed all the blinds and walked out. 

Intrigued, I have awoken early every morning since then, opened the blinds, and have watched him close them when he comes in. It's like he's not even thinking at all, he's just doing a task. I'm going to keep doing this just to see how long it lasts before he figures it out.  :sneaky2:

hah, that is funny.  You must tell me your secret.  I cannot seem to get my kids to remember any tasks.

I don't have any secret, sorry. It's just his nature. I'm in the same boat as you wrt my daughter so I'll just commiserate.

That is hilarious.

One of my ds' chores is to take out the recycling. He takes the bin from the kitchen out to the garage, sorts the items into other bins, and then brings the kitchen bin back inside. One day I saw him carrying the empty recycling bin out to the garage. Why? Because he is supposed to take out the recycling, so he did. Even though it was empty.

Apparently sometimes it is easier to do than to think.

I think my nine year old boy over thinks and over talks about his over thinking. 

I could say, "put on your socks and shoes and we can head out".

His response might be:

But I already have my socks on. Do you want me to put on another pair. (Not seriously asking - I think he just likes doing this to annoy me? or hear his own voice?) Or perhaps I should take off this pair and put on another pair. But then you would have said, "Take off your socks and put on your socks and shoes. And what if I want to wear my boots. I see some snow still on the ground. ....

Mine are 10 now, but it doesn't seem to be much of an improvement. Last summer I had to treat a wasp sting for one of them. I asked him how it happened, and apparently the wasps just flew at him out of the blue and stung him and all he'd been doing was throwing rocks at their nest for the last twenty minutes. Their patience was remarkable! 

I thought that kind of thing only happened in the comics!

My 9 year old has had some lingering GI issues after recovering from a stomach virus last week.  The other night I was happy when he excused himself from the table before passing gas....

Until, after he walked into the kitchen, I heard him ask my 7 year old DD1 "did you feel that?"

Yup, he politely excused himself from the table to go into the kitchen and do it on his sister.   :glare:  

Mine are 10 now, but it doesn't seem to be much of an improvement. Last summer I had to treat a wasp sting for one of them. I asked him how it happened, and apparently the wasps just flew at him out of the blue and stung him and all he'd been doing was throwing rocks at their nest for the last twenty minutes. Their patience was remarkable! 

I thought that kind of thing only happened in the comics!

Lol!  I guess this explains why my ds gets several stings every summer and my girls never do!  He also likes to poke and whack fire ant hills... 

That is hilarious!  You should try changing one other thing and see what happens.  Update us!

I think my nine year old boy over thinks and over talks about his over thinking. 

His response might be:

But I already have my socks on. Do you want me to put on another pair. (Not seriously asking - I think he just likes doing this to annoy me? or hear his own voice?) Or perhaps I should take off this pair and put on another pair. But then you would have said, "Take off your socks and put on your socks and shoes. And what if I want to wear my boots. I see some snow still on the ground. ....

OMG, do we have he same kid???  Indy is JUST LIKE THAT!  It makes me crazy.  There are times when I just walk around muttering to myself "You love this child.  You love this child.  You love this child."

Having a son has made me a lot more patient with my husband when he does similar things.

It makes me more exasperated, because I have a visual reminder of where the insanity came from.

Ha ha, not me.  I usually glare at dh, and say "this is all YOUR fault".  :D

You beat me to it!  I have used those exact words on many, many occasions.  

His response might be:

OMG, this my daughter! Drives me nucking futs!

He did it again today. I guess his thinking is just binary. The blinds can only be 0 or 1 and his only job is to switch them, regardless of the fact that he just made the room dark while I was sitting next to him reading a book. 

OMG, this my daughter! Drives me nucking futs!

In order to hopefull avoid his typical speel I might say, "we are going out in 5 minutes. Please put something on your feet" and his response might be. 

Something on my feet. Does that meet I can put pillows on my feet? What wouldn't work out so well. But you didn't specify so I guess pillows would do. But why would you want me to put pillows on my feet. You don't even like us taking your pillows off the bed. Perhaps you want me to use my own pillows. But they are even more special because of my dust allergy. You are very strange Mom. 

AAAAAAhhhhhhhhhh

In order to hopefull avoid his typical speel I might say, "we are going out in 5 minutes. Please put something on your feet" and his response might be.

Something on my feet. Does that meet I can put pillows on my feet? What wouldn't work out so well. But you didn't specify so I guess pillows would do. But why would you want me to put pillows on my feet. You don't even like us taking your pillows off the bed. Perhaps you want me to use my own pillows. But they are even more special because of my dust allergy. You are very strange Mom.

AAAAAAhhhhhhhhhh

Yep. BTDT. It's as if she wants me to be living in a padded room somewhere, I swear! Like I said before - nucking futs!