Menu

Efficient curricula

EmilyGF

What are the most *efficient* curricula you know if? 

By "efficient" I mean lots of learning for little prep, lower involvement, lower time. It doesn't need to be happy/fun/creative - my kids are really good at being happy/fun/creative on their own. Also, when they use less time for school, they have more time to do those on their own.

I'm expecting to have more stuff on my plate in the coming months, and am trying to get ready.

Areas:

Grammar

Writing

Math

History

Science

Thanks,

Emily

We think CLE for language arts, reading, and math are a hit. Very low/no prep. Do the placement test for language arts though. For history, Story of the World. For science, I'd just have them watch documentaries a few times a week and call it good. 

Christian Light: Math, Language Arts and Reading

Rod & Staff English

Rod & Staff Spelling

Soaring with Spelling and Vocabulary

Growing with Grammar

Teaching Textbooks for Algebra, Geometry etc.

For science,  Magic Schoolbus, Bill Nye, Nova, etc.

History: http://buildyourlibrary.com/  My 7th grade daughter is currently doing their Grade 5 United States History. We cut out most of the extra stuff. She mostly just reads the books but the schedule and booklist keep us on track.

Susan in TX

Analytical grammar

Math is hard but saxon is pretty no nonsense if it suits your kids

History and science in the younger years is most efficiently learned through fun. Tv shows, fun documentaries, magic school bus, etc etc. in high school there are a few basic, no frills curricula around

Easy Grammar, Sequential Spelling, and library books for history. Each week we go to the library for one day. I put a stack of books and movies on hold which relate to the current subject and he watches/reads them throughout the week. History ties in with our literature, so when we have lit. Discussions I can see how much he is getting out of materials.

I also took one week here and there going through Netflix documentaries and shows making a list of science, history, and literature selections. If he watches one, he has to write down either three things he liked/disliked/were interesting or three things he learned. The upfront time was very well worth it!

I haven't figured science out yet, though Apologia he can read and work through independently ( high chocolate series, no experience with younger years). He still wants fun science so we use lots of apps and science kits; those require a bit more leg work from me. Math is one that ds loves to drag his feet on so that one is not hands off for us.

Sequential Spelling with the DVD for spelling: very efficient for my son now that he can do it independently.

Math Mammoth- no juggling of instructor's guides, textbooks, workbooks, etc. It's all in one.

ReflexMath- it's a subscription service ($35/year) that my ds can do independently on the computer. He's finally memorizing his basic math facts very easily, and I don't have to drill him anymore.

SOTW- We just listen to one or two chapters of the audiobook at a time (usually while driving), talk about it a bit, later look up those areas on a map/globe/atlas and move on. We don't do the activities.

Science- We watch lots of videos: Magic School Bus, Bill Nye, the new Cosmos with Neil deGrasse Tyson, etc. I also like the Magic School Bus science kits because there's no gathering of materials; everything needed comes in one nice, handy box.

ETA: I forgot to mention audiobooks! We LOVE audiobooks. The kids can play with Legos, draw, color, etc. while listening to literature even when I don't have the time/stamina to keep on reading, reading, reading...

The most efficient 3Rs are the Amish curricula: Pathway Readers, Climbing to Good English, Pentime Handwriting, Studytime Arithmetic. It can be a little unsettling to be so immersed in the Amish world day in and day out, though. Personally, it can make me feel unwell. Maybe because I come from years of attending an ultra-conservative Mennonite church, and now live divorced in a big city. Spending a couple hours immersed in Amish curricula, and then tying on my hiking boots and putting on a pair of tight black yoga pants and meeting a transgender friend in wig and heels for a ride on the subway together is…well…a little unsettling to me. :lol: I really truly feel like I'm floating above my body.

Science: Evan Moor Daily Science, Magic School Bus, Bill Nye.

Social Studies: Evan Moor Daily Geography, Historical Fiction, Dover coloring books

What we use and find very efficient.

6th grade-

Grammar- Analytical Grammar

Writing- Writing With Skill

Math- Math Mammoth

History- OUP The World in Ancient Times Series (they have student guides, too) supplemented with library books

Science- CK-12 supplemented with BrainPop and library books

2nd grade-

Grammar- FLL2

Writing- WWE2 (no workbook. Writing across the curriculum)

Math- Math Mammoth

History- Story of the World (no activity guide) supplements with library books

Science- Encyclopedia of Science for elementary, BrainPop jr., and library books

Not a lot of teaching time involved with any of these. 2nd grade we get done in about 3 hours and that's because I add in spelling, handwriting, and phonics. 6th grade gets done in 5.5 hrs-ish, and is 90% independent. I add in Spanish, logic, and literature.

Science- We watch lots of videos: Magic School Bus, Bill Nye, the new Cosmos with Neil deGrasse Tyson, etc. I also like the Magic School Bus science kits because there's no gathering of materials; everything needed comes in one nice, handy box.

There is that, but in some cases I find the information lacking.  We padded them with some of the video series you already listed plus library books.

The most efficient 3Rs are the Amish curricula: Pathway Readers, Climbing to Good English, Pentime Handwriting, Studytime Arithmetic. It can be a little unsettling to be so immersed in the Amish world day in and day out, though. Personally, it can make me feel unwell. Maybe because I come from years of attending an ultra-conservative Mennonite church, and now live divorced in a big city. Spending a couple hours immersed in Amish curricula, and then tying on my hiking boots and putting on a pair of tight black yoga pants and meeting a transgender friend in wig and heels for a ride on the subway together is…well…a little unsettling to me. :lol: I really truly feel like I'm floating above my body.

Science: Evan Moor Daily Science, Magic School Bus, Bill Nye.

Social Studies: Evan Moor Daily Geography, Historical Fiction, Dover coloring books

I am with you on this. We live right in the middle of an Amish settlement. We have fabulous neighbors, but we DO NOT fit in. I think they think we are spooky because we are Catholic. :lol:

Not sure how old your kids are, but it looks like from your blog they're on the younger side? Others have suggested Saxon as efficient for math—I'd add a disclaimer—it's efficient for math beginning with Saxon 54 (typically 4th grade). Saxon K through 3 requires more teacher time, although a lot of it is still open-and-go with the scripted teacher edition.

Erica in OR

Our single most efficient curriculum is MM. We have used levels 1,2, and 3 and my oldest has a rock solid math foundation with very little from me. I am very pleased with it. Also, I like Xtramath.org for drilling math facts. It's fast, free, and it works.

For history, I am all about the SOTW audiobooks. We listen to it in the car and discuss. I supplement with books when I can but during busy periods we go through it without and they still learn. 

I would very much like to find a good science curriculum that isn't teacher-intensive but haven't found it yet.